G-IOTA / DF64 espresso grinder - Page 98

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
chicagocat

#971: Post by chicagocat »

Does anyone know of a source for a new bellows for this grinder (I'm in the US)? I recently moved and somehow the bellows got lost in the move. I originally got the machine direct from Alibaba.

Thanks

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#972: Post by Brewzologist »

chicagocat wrote:Does anyone know of a source for a new bellows for this grinder (I'm in the US)? I recently moved and somehow the bellows got lost in the move. I originally got the machine direct from Alibaba.
Thanks
You might check here: www.espressooutlet.net

Kran

#973: Post by Kran »

chicagocat wrote:Does anyone know of a source for a new bellows for this grinder (I'm in the US)? I recently moved and somehow the bellows got lost in the move. I originally got the machine direct from Alibaba.

Thanks
There are a few sellers on Etsy that also sell the bellows. Before I got my DF64 I purchased one from Etsy for a different grinder. Now that I have a DF64 I can confirm both bellows are identical.

heytchap

#974: Post by heytchap »

What's the latest on the best clump crusher? I really hate the stock one and the fines it produces.

mikelipino

#975: Post by mikelipino »

So far I'm doing well with my Mythos style silicone sheet mod. Anecdotally I've noticed that I no longer get the big sneeze of fines when I bellow, it's more a sniffle. Drawdown times also seem as much as 20 s shorter on a dialed in V60, but I change beans so much it's hard to say definitively. Static and chaff mess is about the same, that is to say very acceptable with RDT on both filter and espresso settings. Just a light dusting of chaff.

What hasn't improved is that like stock I still need to updose around 0.5 g if I switch from filter to espresso due to increased retention. I'm starting to think with the burrs closer together, more grinds are being retained around the burrset rather than the clump crusher.

I'd be curious to do another teardown of the df64 to see what the condition is behind the crusher and at the top of the grinds chute, but my workspace is currently occupied with another project. If it looks the same as stock, I'll be trying the Mythos style teflon sheet next.

mwynne

#976: Post by mwynne »

I've been thinking about doing a little consistency test with my machine - try and compare stock (current generation) crusher, no crusher, and maybe some aftermarket ones. Definitely finding the need to updose (to avoid having to bellows out a whole bunch of fine), but I haven't figured out how much to updose consistently.
mikelipino wrote:hat hasn't improved is that like stock I still need to updose around 0.5 g if I switch from filter to espresso due to increased retention. I'm starting to think with the burrs closer together, more grinds are being retained around the burrset rather than the clump crusher.
That might be part of the consistency issue I'm seeing - I'll make sure to see if there's a difference across settings and when switching between settings...
LMWDP #673

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#977: Post by Brewzologist »

I've found that clearing burrs is needed regardless of grinder when changing to/from filter and espresso grind levels. Is it really that much worse with the DF64? Mine finally comes in this weekend and will install SSP MP burrs. So will soon find out for myself.

mikelipino

#978: Post by mikelipino »

Oh certainly not worse, It's just something I was hoping would be eliminated with a zero retention grinder. It's really not all that bad on the df64 at most 0.5 g, and worlds better than some of the other grinders I'm using (outside of a good hand grinder, which has no place to hide grinds)

heytchap

#979: Post by heytchap »

The DF64 has massive retention though. Look under the upper burr carrier next time you clean.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#980: Post by Brewzologist »

Pardon if this has already been asked but cannot find in this thread: How many lbs/kg of coffee should I run through a new set of SSP MP burrs to season them?

Thanks!

EDIT: answered my own question. SSP recommends 3-5kg of full city to French roast at a coarse grind setting.