G-IOTA / DF64 espresso grinder - Page 97

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
LObin

#961: Post by LObin »

cmin wrote:Yeah I'll try seasoning further. Going to remove/cut out the declumper, I've honestly never liked screens/declumper on any grinder, seem to cause more issues, even on the Vario that lil Itty bitty flap sucked lol. The one on my SJ was awful till I modded that grinder.

Wish I knew someone with a 3D printer, mine is popcorning really bad and few times it grinds pretty fast and I was slower to get the bellow on and there go beans and chunks on the counter. I already have the dial indicator from portakeeper.
I believe someone here tried the DF64 without the clump crusher and the results were not great. Again, there are simple 3D printed models that would work better than the stock flapper so that would be the 1st route to explore imo.

I'm still trying to get my head around your case. It's obvious you know what you're doing and you've tried various things in order to improve the results.
At this point, I would clean the grinder thoroughly and check the alignment again but manually only. A single finger on the adjustment disc is enough to alter the test. I tried both methods and I found the manual method to be much more precise for this grinder.

Btw, the SSP Mazzer SJ burrs fit on the DF64. But not all 64mm mazzer burrs fit on the DF64... :shock: Confusing...
LMWDP #592

Advertisement
Kran

#962: Post by Kran »

mwynne wrote:Kran, that is TIDY. No static mess eh?

(My unit arrived today, finally!)
RDT, thought everyone used it.

cmin

#963: Post by cmin »

LObin wrote:I believe someone here tried the DF64 without the clump crusher and the results were not great. Again, there are simple 3D printed models that would work better than the stock flapper so that would be the 1st route to explore imo.

I'm still trying to get my head around your case. It's obvious you know what you're doing and you've tried various things in order to improve the results.
At this point, I would clean the grinder thoroughly and check the alignment again but manually only. A single finger on the adjustment disc is enough to alter the test. I tried both methods and I found the manual method to be much more precise for this grinder.

Btw, the SSP Mazzer SJ burrs fit on the DF64. But not all 64mm mazzer burrs fit on the DF64... :shock: Confusing...
So I'm actuly pulling a light Sidamo right now and it's pulling better and seems to keep getting a bit better. And I have an order from Anodyne incoming with various bags. I was using a light roast Harrar that was very finicky in general, but why it pulled better on Vario or other grinders is beyond me, it was seriously terrible and still was on thr DF till I ran out this morning and started the Sidamo which is pulling much better even with only light profiling on the BDB.

I am definitely not liking that stock flapper I get about a gram after stopping grinding but also quite a bit of fines/dust. Am curious what it will be like with it removed as every grinder I've done that too has been much better, even the Vario with that lil flap reversed 0 clumping/blockage, super fluffy grinds and 0 retention.

I have a feeling like early reports on the Df64 the flap is holding grinds back of which some may re-grind, maybe even when using bellow with air circulating which could explain that "dust" production.

Giampiero

#964: Post by Giampiero »

LObin wrote:Btw, the SSP Mazzer SJ burrs fit on the DF64. But not all 64mm mazzer burrs fit on the DF64... :shock: Confusing...
Yes LObin, SSP burrs has the inner diameter of 38mm, while original Mazzer it's 37mm, the DF64 lower burr carrier does not match with 37mm.

clwood

#965: Post by clwood »

Quick question and if I'm not in the right spot I do apologize.
Im wondering if the DF64 will hold 65 grams for filter coffee .
On the fence on getting this as we do 80% filter and 20% espresso

mikelipino

#966: Post by mikelipino »

It can easily hold 65 g. I often grind 60 g for a Moccamaster with lots of space. If you remove the top cap and fill the bellows, the capacity is over 100 g (if I remember correctly, as I ground through pounds of coffee early on to season the burrs).

clwood

#967: Post by clwood »

Thanks for the reply on that.

Where about on the dial are you setting for your moccamaster
I do know everyone is going to be slightly different

And does the stock dosing cup hold your 60 grams?

Advertisement
mikelipino

#968: Post by mikelipino »

No problem! Depending on the roast level, I've used anywhere between 81-89 with a typical med roast around 85 (stock Italmil burrs). I'm going to print out the dial sticker done by Antoine because there may be cases that I want to go 90+ where the stock indicator doesn't go, but it's pretty rare for me. I find flat bottom brewers (e.g. Bonavita, Oxo) seem to like grinds similar to V60, which is right around 65 for me.

And the dosing cup only comfortably holds 30 g or you risk more mess using the bellows. For batch brew, I grind into a deli container because it's larger and flexible (it's nice to slightly fold it to pour into a filter basket).

clwood

#969: Post by clwood »

THANK You so much
Now to find one to order that's in stock lol!!!

mwynne

#970: Post by mwynne »

Just echoing Mike to some extent. I've only been using mine about a week, but we like to grind a day or two worth of pourover at a time. I removed the dosing cup holder and grind straight into a container (and I just hold my PF directly under the spout for espresso). I find that two almost full dosing cups will almost fill the bellows, and will grind through just before the auto-timer kills the power (I'm at about 70 on the dial). I've been pouring beans into dosing cup > RDT spritz > pour into bellows, repeat.
LMWDP #673