G-IOTA / DF64 espresso grinder - Page 96

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mikelipino

#951: Post by mikelipino »

Ah I wouldn't use the bellows while grinding, only after all the beans pass (but with the burrs still spinning). The bellows move the upper burr carrier and vary the grind.

cmin

#952: Post by cmin replying to mikelipino »

Yeah I meant I tried both ways as elsewhere some say you have to lightly (mines is popcorning insane, I have never seen a grinder popcorn this bad not even old Versalab) and others say you can't, even waiting after no difference, shots are still terrible and I seem to have to keep hitting bellow way longer than anyone else when it's "finished" grinding. I've only ran about 2lbs through, do these burrs need an insane amount of seasoning? My experience with other burr sets and SSPs weren't this drastic. These are basically smaller versions of Mythos style right?

I'm just laughing, I literally told friend watch my luck ill get a pos grinder/unit after everyone raving, yup, lol

I definitely need popcorn mod, seems nobody sells it except from Singapore even on Etsy. Is there an updated popcorn design file, and who could I send to to print?

Advertisement
mikelipino

#953: Post by mikelipino »

I ran 10 lbs of beans to season my steel Italmils right when I got it. But I do recall that my initial test shots before seasoning were not great as well. It wouldn't hurt, and you could do what I did and gave away bags of drip coffee to family and friends.

I printed an anti-popcorn funnel, and honestly I can't tell the difference in fines and the grind time is not significantly shorter. if anything it keeps the beans chute cleaner, so that's why I still use it. For me the most significant mods would be the dial indicator and the Mythos-style teflon or silicone declumper (maybe, I'm still testing it). And the 53 mm dosing funnel upthread is perfect on the grounds cup for minimizing mess with both espresso and pourover grinds.

Good luck with the seasoning, and let us know if it improves. Based on the results of your shimming and alignment, everything sounds good to me outside of the factory sharp burrs.

cmin

#954: Post by cmin replying to mikelipino »

Yeah I'll try seasoning further. Going to remove/cut out the declumper, I've honestly never liked screens/declumper on any grinder, seem to cause more issues, even on the Vario that lil Itty bitty flap sucked lol. The one on my SJ was awful till I modded that grinder.

Wish I knew someone with a 3D printer, mine is popcorning really bad and few times it grinds pretty fast and I was slower to get the bellow on and there go beans and chunks on the counter. I already have the dial indicator from portakeeper.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#955: Post by Brewzologist »

cmin wrote: Wish I knew someone with a 3D printer, mine is popcorning really bad and few times it grinds pretty fast and I was slower to get the bellow on and there go beans and chunks on the counter. I already have the dial indicator from portakeeper.
Check out your local libraries. I found one nearby not in my town that printed several small parts for my DF64 for $1 and turned it around in a day. HTH.

cmin

#956: Post by cmin replying to Brewzologist »

Lol, so in South FL you can't, libraries will print but it's for demo purposes not public, they banned public printing after that scandal a few years ago with people bringing in files for modified gun parts. No joke lol. I know areas in other states banned library printing as well, guess not all since you did ha.

People were making plastic guns or parts that actually worked but wouldn't be detected.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#957: Post by Brewzologist »

cmin wrote: Going to remove/cut out the declumper, I've honestly never liked screens/declumper on any grinder, seem to cause more issues, even on the Vario that lil Itty bitty flap sucked lol. The one on my SJ was awful till I modded that grinder.
Haven't tried removing the declumper entirely yet, but have considered it since I always use RDT/WDT. Please post your findings! :wink:

Advertisement
Kran

#958: Post by Kran »

Added a quick mod to help my workflow, specifically with a mini vivaldi portafilter that didn't fit the stock forks:

Grinds pile up a little to the right but i'm pretty happy with the hands free grinding. I've also simplified my workflow and eliminated WDT with consistently good results, 6 shots in.

It's a little hard to get to the grinding button so that will inevitably be the next thing I work on.

luvmy40

#959: Post by luvmy40 »

cmin wrote:Lol, so in South FL you can't, libraries will print but it's for demo purposes not public, they banned public printing after that scandal a few years ago with people bringing in files for modified gun parts. No joke lol. I know areas in other states banned library printing as well, guess not all since you did ha.

People were making plastic guns or parts that actually worked but wouldn't be detected.
Shoot me a PM, I can get an anti popcorn device printed for you. Just send a link to the one you want. I'll ask my son to print it. Just pay the shipping.

mwynne

#960: Post by mwynne »

Kran, that is TIDY. No static mess eh?

(My unit arrived today, finally!)
LMWDP #673