G-IOTA / DF64 espresso grinder - Page 94

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
spopinski

#931: Post by spopinski »

greycat wrote:spopinski, how is has your retention been with the teflon clump crusher? I'm using a homemade mythos style clump crusher made from 0.015" nylon sheet. Without any RDT/spray about 0.5 to 1.5g gets held back until I use the bellows when grinding in espresso range, but much less when grinding for filter so I think it is helping a little with re-grinding.
Probably about the same. I manage to modify the scrusher with a little bending outward the hole and I got max 0.5g before below actions.
greycat wrote:I'm also curious if anyone has found a trick to check concentricity of the burrs (if it's even an important measure). I installed a set of SSP multipurpose unimodal burrs in mine this weekend and noticed there was about 1mm of room for the burrs to move within the carriers so I just aligned them by-eye the best I could. It seems to be aligned very well in terms of flatness. I was lucky to get a good marker test result on my first attempt just using the upper burr carrier position that worked best with the Italmill burrs.
For centering lower burr I used a technique by DaveC in one of his youtube vids, using multiple paper (post it notes) around the outer edge of the burr before tightening the screws.

jefegold

#932: Post by jefegold »

Hi all,

I've been using my DS64 for a couple of weeks now and have had disappointing results so far. I honestly think any issues are my own fault, so I'm asking for advice.

First thing I did was align the burrs. Both the lower and upper burrs required some shimming. I used the marker method to check. Perhaps I did a crappy job and am now getting inconsistent grinds. I'll have to re-check the alignment.

I have a NS Oscar 2, with an OPV set to 9 bars. I'm going to do a few more tweaks based on some advice on HB to slow down the flow. However, I'd been getting decent shots with grinds from my ol' Rossi RR45.

Most of the shots have looked okay from the bottomless PF, though I have had more tiger stripes and more crema with the new grinder. The pucks are also really wet. (I tested the machine with the old grinder, same dose, and the puck was what you would expect.)

I also replaced the clump crusher the other day with something I threw together using the bottom of a plastic take-out container. It's a little stiff, and I'd like to replace it, but I am getting fewer fines. I'm throwing away the fines to see if I can get better shots. Still, I find that grinding finer, I get channeling and a little stress on the pump, and grinding coarser gets me sour coffee but I have not hit the sweet spot. I was using a medium dark roast from Abbotsford Rd in Brooklyn, and recently switched to a medium light roast from the same roaster. Perhaps I just have not adjusted well enough. Still, I find the wet pucks weird. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks!
Jeff

LObin

#933: Post by LObin replying to jefegold »

Unless you went with one of the SSP burrs, the Duramills burrs on your Rossy are pretty much identical to the Italmill's on the DF64.

Since the coffee and espresso machine are fixed variables, since RPM is similar and retention is lower on the DF64, everything points to burr alignment. There's also seasoning to take in account but you should still get decent results on new burrs.

What alignment method did you use? Did you manually turn the nut or ran the motor? Did you make sure not to apply any pressure to the upper burr carrier? Just holding the burr carrier while rotating the lower burr is enough to alter the ink result.

Also, did you note the upper carrier position? That's also crucial.

Unless I'm missing something, it's probably only a matter of going through the alignement process again.
LMWDP #592

jefegold

#934: Post by jefegold »

Hi and thanks for your input!
I used the marker method, and I noted the carrier position in the process. I had to rotate it and also shim to get alignment. What you are saying makes sense, so I will check the alignment once more.

ronner
Supporter ♡

#935: Post by ronner »

follow up on a previous post of mine
G-IOTA / DF64 espresso grinder
RE: measuring the height of the top burr holder; from a flat surface with the burrs resting on it to the top of the ridge that the adjustment ring presses against. I got a replacement D64 this week. it needed a bit of bit of alignment tweaking but..
1. unlike previous D64, the wipe point on the new unit during alignment did not track the position of the burr holder like first one.
2. can achieve alignment with .100- .150 mm shimming
3. Measuring the adjustment collar on the upper burr holder to a flat surface with the burrs resting on that surface yields same measurement (approx +- .05 mm) unlike the previous one that was approx .58 mm difference)
Now I am working on breaking in and getting the residuals down.. ;)

southillsbrewguy

#936: Post by southillsbrewguy replying to ronner »

On item 3, if I wanted to check this on mine. What you are saying is take the upper burrs and adjustment collar off the machine. Place it on a flat surface and measure the resulting gap from the collar to that flat surface?

ronner
Supporter ♡

#937: Post by ronner replying to southillsbrewguy »

I took burr holder out off and placed on a flat surface, burrs down
I then measured from the ridge on the Burr holder that the adjustment collar presses on, to the flat surface. I did that near each of the supports that rest on the springs.
This:

southillsbrewguy

#938: Post by southillsbrewguy »

Great, thank your for the picture as well. I'm interested to measure mine just to see what that tells. I am glad to hear your new unit is better aligned. I went back to work on mine tonight just to see what a 2nd attempt would result in. I cleaned it out thoroughly and I used reynolds heavy duty aluminum foil to cut shims. With 4 at the 12 position (top) and 3 shims at the 4 position (bottom right) I was able to get a 100% clean wipe. So that was surprising to me in a good way! It is certainly better than it was out of box so all I can think of is that it took a couple pounds of coffee run through it for it to settle in. So I guess i'll run another few bags through and do one more check after that.

spopinski

#939: Post by spopinski »

I've found that multiple light tap on the lid with bellows resulting in even lower retention. I think that it reduces the compacted powder on the inside opening. I'm gonna use this method for a week or two without cleaning and see the result. Weighing in and out now is always within 0.1-0.2 grams plus or minus with multiple light taps.

EspressoNick

#940: Post by EspressoNick »

Hi all,

Im looking to purchase the DF64 but am unsure which burrset I should go with. It's a $50 CAD upgrade for the titanium burrs. I had read that you only get more longevity by going titanium coated but just how long do the standard burrs last for home use?