G-IOTA / DF64 espresso grinder - Page 93

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
spopinski

#921: Post by spopinski »

I'm using 0.3mm teflon sheet and it's magnificent

ronner
Supporter ❤

#922: Post by ronner »

LOL I have the teflon but am waiting for a replacement DF-64... hopefully next week. Did you cut the teflon like the original or did you cut it like the Mythos?

Espresso Vision: the perfect cup of coffee starts with understanding your roast
Sponsored by Espresso Vision
spopinski

#923: Post by spopinski »

Mythos style

mikelipino

#924: Post by mikelipino »

A teflon sheet sounds like a great idea. I hadn't thought of that. Depending on the results of the silicone, I'll give it a go.

southillsbrewguy

#925: Post by southillsbrewguy »

ronner wrote:Yes, Espresso Outlet. They said they aligned and I saw some maker ink when I did first alignment check so I believe they did. I am wondering if perhaps a shipping issue. Whatever the cause, it is getting fixed. :D
I know this comment is a few weeks old. Waiting on hearing about your replacement unit's alignment. I got the same message from EO regarding alignment. I emailed them when I received mine because there was what appeared to be some surface rust on the burrs. The response was that that was marker from them aligning it. They suggested I run some beans through and see if that cleaned it up and it did. I then set on to check alignment myself. I saw exactly the same alignment pattern as you did. 10-20deg wipe in one spot. I shimmed with aluminum foil and ended up with another 20 deg of wipe 180 deg opposite of the initial area. At that point I quit messing with it and decided to use it that way for a while. If your replacement unit has significantly better alignment then I am going to reach out to them again.

ronner
Supporter ❤

#926: Post by ronner » replying to southillsbrewguy »

A couple weeks old but timely. I just heard today from EO that my replacement shipped. Since they are moving the SSP burrs from my returned unit to this one, I asked if they would take pics of the alignment wipe when they installed the SSPs. My criteria was if not better than 80% cleaned on top burr (and 100% on lower) do not send. However, it is on its way and the pics show 100% on both sides. I must say that Joe at EO has been great to work with. I will validate when I get it, but I suspect this will be great.

spopinski

#927: Post by spopinski »

After a little heat and slow prying later..

Aida Battle: Indigo Reserve from world renowned Finca Kilimanjaro in El Salvador
Sponsored by Aida Battle
southillsbrewguy

#928: Post by southillsbrewguy »

ronner wrote:A couple weeks old but timely. I just heard today from EO that my replacement shipped. Since they are moving the SSP burrs from my returned unit to this one, I asked if they would take pics of the alignment wipe when they installed the SSPs. My criteria was if not better than 80% cleaned on top burr (and 100% on lower) do not send. However, it is on its way and the pics show 100% on both sides. I must say that Joe at EO has been great to work with. I will validate when I get it, but I suspect this will be great.
Ok, I didn't know you had the SSP burrs not that it matters. The burrs shouldn't matter. I have the regular ital-mill steel burrs. To be honest though, I am moving from a Vario to this one and so its my first go at burr alignment. I'd like it to be to the specs you prescribed.

Jonk

#929: Post by Jonk »

southillsbrewguy wrote:I am moving from a Vario to this one and so its my first go at burr alignment.
Just FYI, you can align the old Vario too: Baratza Vario Super Alignment owner experience

ronner
Supporter ❤

#930: Post by ronner » replying to Jonk »

Indeed. My "other" pre-DF64 grinder is a Vario as well and i have done the super alignment. After doing that a year ago, I get 100% alignment with the Vario. However since I mostly single dose, the DF64 is attractive as the Vario always has more residue than I would like. We shall see.