G-IOTA / DF64 espresso grinder - Page 93

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mikelipino

#921: Post by mikelipino »

A teflon sheet sounds like a great idea. I hadn't thought of that. Depending on the results of the silicone, I'll give it a go.

southillsbrewguy

#922: Post by southillsbrewguy »

ronner wrote:Yes, Espresso Outlet. They said they aligned and I saw some maker ink when I did first alignment check so I believe they did. I am wondering if perhaps a shipping issue. Whatever the cause, it is getting fixed. :D
I know this comment is a few weeks old. Waiting on hearing about your replacement unit's alignment. I got the same message from EO regarding alignment. I emailed them when I received mine because there was what appeared to be some surface rust on the burrs. The response was that that was marker from them aligning it. They suggested I run some beans through and see if that cleaned it up and it did. I then set on to check alignment myself. I saw exactly the same alignment pattern as you did. 10-20deg wipe in one spot. I shimmed with aluminum foil and ended up with another 20 deg of wipe 180 deg opposite of the initial area. At that point I quit messing with it and decided to use it that way for a while. If your replacement unit has significantly better alignment then I am going to reach out to them again.

ronner
Supporter ♡

#923: Post by ronner replying to southillsbrewguy »

A couple weeks old but timely. I just heard today from EO that my replacement shipped. Since they are moving the SSP burrs from my returned unit to this one, I asked if they would take pics of the alignment wipe when they installed the SSPs. My criteria was if not better than 80% cleaned on top burr (and 100% on lower) do not send. However, it is on its way and the pics show 100% on both sides. I must say that Joe at EO has been great to work with. I will validate when I get it, but I suspect this will be great.

spopinski

#924: Post by spopinski »

After a little heat and slow prying later..

southillsbrewguy

#925: Post by southillsbrewguy »

ronner wrote:A couple weeks old but timely. I just heard today from EO that my replacement shipped. Since they are moving the SSP burrs from my returned unit to this one, I asked if they would take pics of the alignment wipe when they installed the SSPs. My criteria was if not better than 80% cleaned on top burr (and 100% on lower) do not send. However, it is on its way and the pics show 100% on both sides. I must say that Joe at EO has been great to work with. I will validate when I get it, but I suspect this will be great.
Ok, I didn't know you had the SSP burrs not that it matters. The burrs shouldn't matter. I have the regular ital-mill steel burrs. To be honest though, I am moving from a Vario to this one and so its my first go at burr alignment. I'd like it to be to the specs you prescribed.

Jonk

#926: Post by Jonk »

southillsbrewguy wrote:I am moving from a Vario to this one and so its my first go at burr alignment.
Just FYI, you can align the old Vario too: Baratza Vario Super Alignment owner experience

ronner
Supporter ♡

#927: Post by ronner replying to Jonk »

Indeed. My "other" pre-DF64 grinder is a Vario as well and i have done the super alignment. After doing that a year ago, I get 100% alignment with the Vario. However since I mostly single dose, the DF64 is attractive as the Vario always has more residue than I would like. We shall see.

greycat

#928: Post by greycat »

spopinski, how is has your retention been with the teflon clump crusher? I'm using a homemade mythos style clump crusher made from 0.015" nylon sheet. Without any RDT/spray about 0.5 to 1.5g gets held back until I use the bellows when grinding in espresso range, but much less when grinding for filter so I think it is helping a little with re-grinding.

I'm also curious if anyone has found a trick to check concentricity of the burrs (if it's even an important measure). I installed a set of SSP multipurpose unimodal burrs in mine this weekend and noticed there was about 1mm of room for the burrs to move within the carriers so I just aligned them by-eye the best I could. It seems to be aligned very well in terms of flatness. I was lucky to get a good marker test result on my first attempt just using the upper burr carrier position that worked best with the Italmill burrs.

jefegold

#929: Post by jefegold »

Hi!
May I ask where you got the teflon sheet from?
I'm thinking of doing the same. Did you just cut it to match the profile of the existing declumper and add the triangular teeth or did you actually recreate the Mythos one?

greycat

#930: Post by greycat »

I didn't get teflon but I used McMaster-Carr to buy 1" x 0.015" nylon strip. They can be a little expensive but their website is great.

https://www.mcmaster.com/plastics/perfo ... d-contact/