G-IOTA / DF64 espresso grinder - Page 91

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
BruceWayne

#901: Post by BruceWayne »

Did you get this from the US distributor? Small variances could be considered part of getting a cheap grinder, but this seems more like a manufacturing defect.

ronner
Supporter ♡

#902: Post by ronner »

K7 and Bruce Wayne, I am going to contact the distributor about this tomorrow. Taking that much in shims does not seem right. Thanks All

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#903: Post by Brewzologist »

wouterdr wrote:No but it was on the list of things to explore! Happy to hear if you have any experiences. Any thoughts of a speed controller that would work?
Didn't notice a big improvement in particle size distribution with ghost burrs with a speed controller, but some of that may have to do with the ghost burrs. Also, the way most of these controllers work is like a dimmer, which will reduce motor torque too. So there's a line between slowing RPM and jamming the grinder. I found the medium setting was best on my ghost burr grinder. That said, I have a DF64 on order with MP burrs and will be trying more extensive particle distribution tests. Here's what I use:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B015SLCJ2W/ref ... UTF8&psc=1

LObin

#904: Post by LObin »

Jonk wrote:Inches and millimeters in the same post. Way I read it, it makes sense to balk at trying to fix a potential ~584 micron misalignment with 5 micron sheet (what kind is that? I thought aluminium foil is usually 16-24 microns..)

I'm not a 100% sure measuring the distance from the top of the carrier flange will tell you the whole story though. Perhaps better to verify if there's actually need for that many layers of foil to improve the alignment? If so, perhaps things can be improved by sanding:
video
Thanks Jonk, I totally missed the different measuring units!

I do agree with you that measuring the burr carrier upside down may not be the way to go at this. Are the 3 pins exactly the same height? Is the thickness of the flange the same all the way around?

ronner, a quick thought... have you checked if your screws are all the same lengths? This may not be the reason but I didn't realize my DF64 had shorter screws for the bottom burr. When I installed my SSP MPs, I mixed them up and ended up with the same ink results over and over until I realized that one of the screw on the top burr was shorter, causing a higher contact point. Other units seem to have the same screw lengths for top and bottom burrs but not mine.
LMWDP #592

ronner
Supporter ♡

#905: Post by ronner »

HI LoBin,
Yes the screws are different. I did not measure length, but the bottom burr holder screws are Phillips only. Top burr is combination head i.e. straight/phillips. And I was careful and only removed and replaced one burr at a time so they did not get swapped.

LObin

#906: Post by LObin replying to ronner »

Looks like may need a new burr carrier indeed...
Any news from the seller?

Have you also tried contacting Amanda through Alibaba? She's very helpful.
LMWDP #592

ronner
Supporter ♡

#907: Post by ronner »

I will talk to distributor on Monday. I had asked them about the alignment before the weekend, but now have more info. thanks All
I went to see what some of images I can find show on same grinder for types of screws on top and bottom. Most of the pics are probably older than my unit, but the ones I have found show combination screws on both sides... interesting.
UPDATE: Talked to distributor and they will replace this unit. I mentioned the different screws and they said that it was a manuf change to mod the bottom burr screws with screws with a wider (wider) head.

anx21

#908: Post by anx21 »

Talked to distributor and they will replace this unit
Was the distributor espresso outlet? I thought they were installing and aligning the SSP burrs before sending the units out

ronner
Supporter ♡

#909: Post by ronner »

Yes, Espresso Outlet. They said they aligned and I saw some maker ink when I did first alignment check so I believe they did. I am wondering if perhaps a shipping issue. Whatever the cause, it is getting fixed. :D

Kran

#910: Post by Kran »

Jumped on the bandwagon and picked one of these up from amazon, before the seller upped the price. Took 1 week from time of purchase to delivery. So far I'm pretty happy with the purchase. It's relatively quiet, though definitely slower than my 85mm burr set bulk grinder. Since I have a mini vivaldi the grinds cup doesn't fit the portafilter and the fork on the grinder doesn't fit securely enough for my taste. Grinding into the cup and then carefully pouring into the portafilter will have to do for now.

Made a quick dial indicator. Likely an anti-popcorn device will be up next.