G-IOTA / DF64 espresso grinder - Page 86

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Smihalik

#851: Post by Smihalik »

I've been messaging some of the Alibaba suppliers about these and I found one who's willing to do a group buy. Would be $289 + shipping if we can get 9 more buyers.

Any interest?

jerinnick

#852: Post by jerinnick replying to Smihalik »

I will join you. Already replied in reddit.

Advertisement
Smihalik

#853: Post by Smihalik replying to jerinnick »

Good stuff! Yeah I got your Reddit reply.

We need 5 more buyers.

I reached out to the mods about breaking this off into its own thread. Just waiting for a reply. I'm not sure the rules about this.

gusibon

#854: Post by gusibon »

mwynne

#855: Post by mwynne »

Smihalik wrote:Good stuff! Yeah I got your Reddit reply.

We need 5 more buyers.

I reached out to the mods about breaking this off into its own thread. Just waiting for a reply. I'm not sure the rules about this.
I'd be interested (in Victoria).
LMWDP #673

sohiroshi

#856: Post by sohiroshi »

Got my DF64 about a month ago. Since then I've pulled dozens of shots with fresh dark roast beans between the range of mark 8 and 12. It seems that my sweet spot is around 10, which is what I started out with. However, I've read somewhere that people go down to 5 or less for espresso. This makes me wonder what everyone's dialed in range is. I am using the factory setting without re-aligning the burrs.

Here's a picture of the grinder (with new font for the numbering ) and a dialed in shot. Very happy with the purchase.

LObin

#857: Post by LObin »

sohiroshi wrote:Got my DF64 about a month ago. Since then I've pulled dozens of shots with fresh dark roast beans between the range of mark 8 and 12. It seems that my sweet spot is around 10, which is what I started out with. However, I've read somewhere that people go down to 5 or less for espresso. This makes me wonder what everyone's dialed in range is. I am using the factory setting without re-aligning the burrs.

Here's a picture of the grinder (with new font for the numbering ) and a dialed in shot. Very happy with the purchase.

Grind settings are very subjective. They vary a lot depending on coffees, machines, baskets, doses, environment, etc.

I doubt you'd ever need to go that close to 0 point with dark roasts and "normal" doses. 10 sure seems within a normal espresso range.

Congrats on your recent purchase!
LMWDP #592

Advertisement
CantinaCoffee
Sponsor

#858: Post by CantinaCoffee »

I just received mine and the scale may be placed differently. I'm around 15 with a med-dark decaf from Caffe Lusso and 20 with a med-dark from Nossa.

Probably only 1kg has gone through it so far.

DamianWarS

#859: Post by DamianWarS »

sohiroshi wrote:Got my DF64 about a month ago. Since then I've pulled dozens of shots with fresh dark roast beans between the range of mark 8 and 12. It seems that my sweet spot is around 10, which is what I started out with. However, I've read somewhere that people go down to 5 or less for espresso. This makes me wonder what everyone's dialed in range is. I am using the factory setting without re-aligning the burrs.

Roast level and age plays a factor. Lighter roasts need to go finer. I have factory burrs and I aligned the burrs myself (but the factory alignment was pretty good) right now I'm grinding at 0. (Burr touch is somewhere below zero) but the coffee has aged a bit, when it was fresh it was closer to 3 or 4. It's a medium-light roast. If I went coarser the shots were too fast and sour. I could go finer too but instead I'm playing with different profiles to compensate.

Dark roasts have more fines because they are more brittle and they also make higher resistant pucks so you don't need to grind as fine with them.

Smihalik

#860: Post by Smihalik »

mwynne wrote:I'd be interested (in Victoria).
If you pm me your email I can send a PayPal invoice. I ordered a few extras if anyone else wants it. They should be ready to ship in about 20 days.