G-IOTA / DF64 espresso grinder - Page 84

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Sib

#831: Post by Sib »

sjoerdos92 wrote:My cream-colored DF64 with SSP Brew burrs and a couple of 3d-printed mods.
Very cool!
Can you provide info about the grinder cup you're using, and where you sourced the nice-looking grind-size font?

LnR

#832: Post by LnR »

gilbert wrote:Do people think this would be a downgrade from mazzer major? Or roughly equivalent? For home use. Happy to do some of the modifications
If you get SSP MP along with it, it will outperform Major w stock burrs, but with stock Italmill burrs probably not.

Advertisement
Jonk

#833: Post by Jonk »

gilbert wrote:Do people think this would be a downgrade from mazzer major? Or roughly equivalent? For home use. Happy to do some of the modifications
I'm with L&R on this. The main reason to get a DF64 over a Major would be the much smaller footprint. There are 83mm SSP options as well, but they cost more so that could also be a reason to downsize.

gilbert

#834: Post by gilbert »

LObin wrote:From my own experience, moving from a commercial grinder to a true single dosing grinder, for home use, is always an upgrade.

Here's why:
Less coffee waste.
Easy adjustments.
Easier to switch between coffees and brew methods.
Allows you to try various coffees at the same time.
More compact.
Quieter.
No more constant adjustment of the output.
Etc.

Of course, you'd be going from a titan 83mm to a smaller 64mm.
Just like the Italmill 64mm, the mazzer 83mm have a pretty classic espresso geometry. Depending on your coffee preferences, going with the SSP HU or the MP burrs will bring different results which may help you feel like you've also made some "in the cup" improvements. Maybe...
Jonk wrote:I'm with L&R on this. The main reason to get a DF64 over a Major would be the much smaller footprint. There are 83mm SSP options as well, but they cost more so that could also be a reason to downsize.
Thanks very much everyone - I'm 80% sure I will go the DF64. A niche is tempting because they "just work", no mods.
Even if it's comparible in performance I can sell my Mazzer Major E for a similar price to what a DF64 costs (a little exta if I go the SSP burrs).
Smaller footprint is a big win and for 2-4 coffees a day, a low retention single dosing grinder is probably the way to go

sjoerdos92

#835: Post by sjoerdos92 »

Sib wrote:Very cool!
Can you provide info about the grinder cup you're using, and where you sourced the nice-looking grind-size font?
The dosing cup is a standard 58mm steel cup I bought online. To hold it, I used the basket mount from another forum user which is available on Thingiverse.

My DF64 was only recently delivered and it seems I have the newer version. The grind font and bellow lid are different from previous models and look much nicer.

LObin

#836: Post by LObin »

gilbert wrote:Thanks very much everyone - I'm 80% sure I will go the DF64. A niche is tempting because they "just work", no mods.

I currently have a Niche and a DF64 / SSP MP.
Unless you mainly drink medium to dark roasts, I believe the results, going from an 83mm flat to a 63mm conical may be a bit disappointing.
J. Hoffman threw some shade over the DF64 in his review but I bet you he'd have a total different perception of the workflow if he had a unit with only 2 extra 3D printed parts: A dial indicator and a declumper. The anti-popcorning devices are nice but the first two really change the workflow and user experience of the DF64.

Of course, JH wants to review all the products as is so it relates to more people.

I RDT with mine (don't need to with my NZ) but when I forget to do it, static is nowhere close to what JH showed in his review. Like not even 2% of that insane mess. I'm in MTL, Canada though.

From my experience, I would recommend a DF64 over a Niche Zero.

Cheers!
LMWDP #592

Jonk

#837: Post by Jonk »

I switched from a Major with OEM burrs to a Niche and found it worthwhile in every aspect. Okay, grinding is a bit slower but not the overall workflow for single dosing. Flavor wise just a small jump.

The 64mm SSP unimodal burrs can be quite a lot better than both though, if you like the style and have the right beans.

Advertisement
kompascoffeeculture

#838: Post by kompascoffeeculture »

Hi guys! In case someone is looking for a cool metal dosing cup that fits the giota / df64 grinder perfectly:
https://homebarista.be/shop/products/pr ... -cup-metal

they just added it on their shop.

:mrgreen:

megamixman

#839: Post by megamixman »

Does anyone know how one would acquire spare parts for the DF64? I'm trying to see if I can get my hands on just the top burr assembly. Thinking about machining it to hold a conical burr as a pre-breaker.

skcheng

#840: Post by skcheng »

what kind of metal is that, and why does it look like that?

https://homebarista.be/shop/products/pr ... -cup-metal