G-IOTA / DF64 espresso grinder - Page 66

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mtbizzle

#651: Post by mtbizzle »

tommy2gs wrote:I have struggled in my first day trying to brew espresso with this new burrs in...

. I generally try to do 15 seconds slow build up to 3 bars, then another 30 seconds at full pressure for a total shot time of ~45 seconds and 17g:35g ratio.
Note the 64mm unimodal and Unimodal multipurpose SSP burrs are FAST flow burrs, the same style as the 98mm SSP high uniformity burrs. Many will say, these do not work especially well/perform their best, with the flow rate (time) that you use e.g. with a conical. Many will say with a lot of conviction that these burrs are suited for turbo shots and much faster flow than the "18 in 36 out in 30 seconds" idea.

If you have giota with multipurpose burrs, try fast flow turbo shots - eg closer to 3-4mL/s after fast preinfusion, rather than half that flow rate. Chasing a "normal" flow rate shot arguably will lead to grinding much too fine, and frustration

https://strivefortone.com/2020/09/19/lo ... -espresso/

luvmy40

#652: Post by luvmy40 »

James Hoffman just posted a youtube videao on the G-IOTA 64

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53lTlpjM2sQ

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home
mdmitch2
Supporter ♡

#653: Post by mdmitch2 » replying to luvmy40 »

***SPOILER ALERT***

Summary of James Hoffman's review:
-Best single dose grinder for the money.
-Makes much better coffee than grinders at similar price points.
-Needs mods if you want to get the most out of it.
-He prefers the Niche because it's a little more charming....i.e. fun to use on a daily basis.

baonumber1

#654: Post by baonumber1 »

Hmm i have a slightly different understanding of his video
  • Best single-dosing flat if you only care about taste in cup and don't care about anything else
  • If your care about user experience and workflow, niche is better choice
  • RDT is mandatory
  • Need mods
-------------------edit------
sorry, i meant to say it is best single-dosing flat at that price point, i think he did say that he couldn't think of anything better than this

ProfessorSnape

#655: Post by ProfessorSnape »

He was quite clear it was not the best single dosing flat and referred to five grinders he has reviewed previously that are better.

walr00s
Supporter ♡

#656: Post by walr00s »

baonumber1 wrote:Hmm i have a slightly different understanding of his video
  • Best single-dosing flat if you only care about taste in cup and don't care about anything else
  • If your care about user experience and workflow, niche is better choice
  • RDT is mandatory
  • Need mods
I read the spoiler "summary" first and had a little surprise laugh when James gave his conclusion. He isn't...as gentle as he can be...with this product. He doesn't dump on it exactly, but he does say that if he owned it he would be looking to upgrade.

mtbizzle

#657: Post by mtbizzle »

"I got a taste for the fancy fancy" -Hoffman

This is clearly no Weber grinder. If you want ease of use, quality of life, style, etc, I can see the desire to upgrade, the g-iota does not seem an option to... prioritize these.

But if you're focused on the resulting grind only, I would be surprised if you would feel the need to upgrade e.g. to a Lagom, if you owned this. Same burrs, better build, $1,000 more? An ultra? That's in an entirely different universe price wise. There aren't all that many platforms for SSP fast flow burrs.

Would be interesting to see more comparisons from people with 98HU burrs and other 64MP burrs, I think a few have tried giota with ssp. My guess is giota SSP 64MP is the option for value for grind quality, if you want some particular SSP burr, if you can live with build, style, use flaws.

I don't care as much about style and perfect workflow. Based on reports, it seems like a great value way to access light roast turbo espresso to me.

CafelatStore: home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore
mdmitch2
Supporter ♡

#658: Post by mdmitch2 »

walr00s wrote:I read the spoiler "summary" first and had a little surprise laugh when James gave his conclusion. He isn't...as gentle as he can be...with this product. He doesn't dump on it exactly, but he does say that if he owned it he would be looking to upgrade.
hah yeah my summary didn't quite capture his general 'meh' demeanor about it.

Probably best that it wasn't a glowing review or we'd have another Niche shortage situation.

mdmitch2
Supporter ♡

#659: Post by mdmitch2 »

I have a niche shipping in July and I'll still probably get one of these to compare... I have access to a 3D printer, so I'm curious if the right mods might put it on par with or above the niche. Although the small adjustment range for espresso might be a problem for me since I like to switch coffees a lot.

mtbizzle

#660: Post by mtbizzle »

mdmitch2 wrote:I have a niche shipping in July and I'll still probably get one of these to compare..
I think would be a really helpful comparison for many people, relatively limited options at this price range. I would try comparing by focusing on the Niche for traditional espresso, medium and dark roast, standard flow rates. Giota with MP burrs aligned, with light roasts, fast flow. I think they will give quite different results for those two use cases. Would be interesting to see how far out side of their comfort zones the grinders perform well.