G-IOTA / DF64 espresso grinder - Page 142

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Jeff
Team HB

#1411: Post by Jeff »

The 64 MPs are widely acknowledged to be annoyingly loud in the DF64. The Cv2s are more polite, as long as the cover to the bellows is in place.

And now, continuing our Top Ten Accessories for a DF64 Countdown

[music plays]

Number Two!

Vacmaster, VQ607SFD, 6 Gallon 3 Peak HP Stainless Steel Wet/Dry Shop Vacuum

That's right, deal with those pesky grinds all over your counter, floor and the retention still inside. All with a long hose that lets you reach all the places those grinds have gone.

[music plays]

Number One!

3M Peltor Optime 105 H10A Over-the-Head Earmuff

Cut that annoying scream down to just a dull roar. As a side benefit, you can't hear your dog howling at it or your partner howling at you.

Word_salad

#1412: Post by Word_salad »

you might go deaf, but you'll get great third wave espresso at an unbeatable price!

Jonk

#1413: Post by Jonk »

It's not just in a DF64 - those burrs exhibit a high pitched scream in a Mazzer or Ode as well. Running lower RPM would probably solve it, but hey - it's only a few seconds.

SutterMill

#1414: Post by SutterMill »

Jeff wrote:The 64 MPs are widely acknowledged to be annoyingly loud in the DF64. The Cv2s are more polite, as long as the cover to the bellows is in place.

And now, continuing our Top Ten Accessories for a DF64 Countdown

[music plays]

Number Two!

Vacmaster, VQ607SFD, 6 Gallon 3 Peak HP Stainless Steel Wet/Dry Shop Vacuum

That's right, deal with those pesky grinds all over your counter, floor and the retention still inside. All with a long hose that lets you reach all the places those grinds have gone.

[music plays]

Number One!

3M Peltor Optime 105 H10A Over-the-Head Earmuff

Cut that annoying scream down to just a dull roar. As a side benefit, you can't hear your dog howling at it or your partner howling at you.
I'm sorry...what did you say?

-Sette owners

In all seriousness though. In terms of extraction vs. noise has a preferred burr set emerged for the DF64?

Jeff
Team HB

#1415: Post by Jeff »

At least for the people I talk most often with, the flavor profile is primary by a long shot. The noise, mess, all that, is something that comes along as an annoyance. As long as the annoyances don't outweigh the benefits, you can buy for flavor.

I've got a DF64 because:

* I wanted to try out various 64 mm burrs and decide for myself what I enjoyed

* I don't want to spend close to $2,000 for another grinder that isn't going to be drastically different in a good way to what I already own or a 98 mm grinder

* If I did decide the annoyances justified it, it is nearly impossible to buy a P64 in the US on any meaningful time scale†

I don't think there is any consensus among light-roast enthusiasts and it is only going to get more complicated with the Option-O cast burrs, when they release.

I haven't followed taste on the SSP "espresso" (HU?), Italmill plain, coated, Mazzer, Gorilla Gear, Food Friendly, and probably some more that I missed, without even delving into brew-only options or the Asian parts market.

† Right now, the Acaia Orbit has not released and "Prima notifies customers on a per-model basis at a rate of 50 customers per hour, starting from the bottom of the list, until the grinders are sold out. We respectfully decline to accept pre-orders at this time. Please keep in mind the current wait is over 1 year"

Magitta

#1416: Post by Magitta »

Magitta wrote:Hi all,

first time post I'm sorry for opening with a request for help, but I would appreciate any advice you have.

I've just received my second DF64 from home-barista.be with Titanium Itamill burrs. The first burr set was scuffed badly and the coating was missing from half of it (see photos). I just checked the new burrs and they also are missing coating on the outer edge. Is this normal?

I'm also disappointed in the finish of the second machining, lot of dents on the machining and I think there are metal flakes inside? I didn't notice this on the first DF64 I received.

I wish I could feel more confident to keep the machine.. but should I return it? The return procedure was a pain and I'd rather not go through it again with home-barista.be...but if the machine and burrs are I received are not as they are supposed to be I have no choice. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I was hoping to get some advise on the above issue (or possibly learn it is a non-issue). Thanks.

Primacog

#1417: Post by Primacog »

I reckon if you are not happy with the condition of the machine you received, its best to return it immediately, troublesome though it may be.
LMWDP #729

Magitta

#1418: Post by Magitta »

I guess my satisfaction is coloured by the bad experience in the store...

I would like to know if it is common for the titanium burrs (for which I paid a premium) to be missing a bit of coating on the edges. If it is normal and of no consequence for the longevity I'm happy to keep it. If I've received two bad burrs in a row I'm just unlucky and I'll return the machine.

LaNovice1982

#1419: Post by LaNovice1982 »

Magitta wrote:I was hoping to get some advise on the above issue (or possibly learn it is a non-issue). Thanks.
Did you pay to have your burrs aligned? It looks like they or someone used the marker method and let the burrs touch with it running. While that part of the burrs doesn't grind the beans as the center is most important it's still not cool. All I can say if it were me I would return it and align the burrs myself, I used a socket on center bolt and put a extension on that socket and turned it that way manually.
Brian H.

Magitta

#1420: Post by Magitta »

Thanks for letting me know your thoughts. I don't think it has been aligned, or at least if anyone attempted they didn't do a good job. Carefully manually spinning the burrs while at 0 point causes this distinct tss-tss-tss sound meaning they touch on some part and do not on other. I think I'm going to ask for a refund. After two faulty DF64s I think I need to move on and look for a more reliable product.. a shame because I was really excited and there aren't many alternatives at this pricepoint.