G-IOTA / DF64 espresso grinder - Page 141

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
ltanzil

#1401: Post by ltanzil »

any body has picture of the v3? i cannot find a single photo of it on the net

Jeff
Team HB

#1402: Post by Jeff »

There really isn't any significant visual difference. Several photos posted on this thread already.

I think the newer upper-burr carrier is the only change not already shown. Here's from a burr change I just did

DownTheRabbitHole

#1403: Post by DownTheRabbitHole »

Anyone seen the images of the "premium" DF64 with a different grind size adjuster and wooden finishes? I wonder if there will be any discernable differences outside of aesthetic

Jeff
Team HB

#1404: Post by Jeff »

There is one with a bottom adjuster out there that moves the motor up and down.

There is mention of a DF64P at Turin DF64P - Upgraded and updated DF64 It recently got some YouTube and reddit attention.

I believe that Espresso Outlet was considering carrying it or one similar, but it did not meet their expectations. They refunded preorders and tried to reasonably compensate for lost time of those that preordered, as I recall.

ltanzil

#1405: Post by ltanzil »

Jeff wrote:There really isn't any significant visual difference. Several photos posted on this thread already.

I think the newer upper-burr carrier is the only change not already shown. Here's from a burr change I just did

thx Jeff for the photo. those gaps is a major cause of retention. it is good that they sealed it. i think i should order the updated burr holder

any update on the clump crusher?

Jeff
Team HB

#1406: Post by Jeff »

Same as before, pick your mod or just rip it out

DownTheRabbitHole

#1407: Post by DownTheRabbitHole »

Ah interesting, thanks Jeff. I saw it posted on Mii Coffee's Instagram recently while considering MP Burrs for the nth time

LaNovice1982
Supporter ♡

#1408: Post by LaNovice1982 »

Any thoughts on these gaskets I found on Etsy?

I was having trouble getting my SSP HU burrs 100% aligned, the best I could get was 100% on top burr and 50% on bottom burr. I believe it was to an imperfection I noticed on the bottom burr carrier, so I thought the gaskets could help and I guess they did. Only needed 1 small shim and marker wiped 100% top and bottom. Also the same coffee I was grinding at 6 on the dial is now grinding at 17, with much better espresso. I actually love the tinkering on this grinder that can change results dramatically lol.
Brian H.

Jeff
Team HB

#1409: Post by Jeff »

Nothing remotely compressible should be under the burrs to shim them†. You may get good "wipe", but as soon as beans load the burrs, soft shims or gaskets can compress and change the alignment.

Everything else may shift too, but I don't know a way to measure burr parallelism and concentricity under load. I guess we all sort of hope that things move purely axially under grinding load.

Even the malleability of aluminum worries me, but I can't afford 10 µm stainless steel or justify 20 µm. Thankfully my DF64 wasn't off by more than what a single thickness of household aluminum foil, about 0.000 8" or 20 µm, could seem to resolve.

† Gaskets or o-rings to help seal out grinds are OK, as long as they aren't on the mounting/locating surfaces

Magitta

#1410: Post by Magitta »

Hi all,

first time post I'm sorry for opening with a request for help, but I would appreciate any advice you have.

I've just received my second DF64 from home-barista.be with Titanium Itamill burrs. The first burr set was scuffed badly and the coating was missing from half of it (see photos). I just checked the new burrs and they also are missing coating on the outer edge. Is this normal?

I'm also disappointed in the finish of the second machining, lot of dents on the machining and I think there are metal flakes inside? I didn't notice this on the first DF64 I received.

I wish I could feel more confident to keep the machine.. but should I return it? The return procedure was a pain and I'd rather not go through it again with home-barista.be...but if the machine and burrs are I received are not as they are supposed to be I have no choice. Any advice is greatly appreciated.