G-IOTA / DF64 espresso grinder - Page 139

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Jeff
Team HB

#1381: Post by Jeff »

Have you seasoned the burrs?

How do the pours at that ratio and rate look compared to you previous grinder? What grinder was that? (If this is your first grinder, I'd suggest asking to have your posts split into a "help me dial in" thread.)

How does the espresso taste prior to adding milk?

sebna

#1382: Post by sebna »

mmartins wrote:Hello,

I want to order a DF64 with SSP burrs. At homebarista.be it's cheaper to buy the DF64 and the burrs separately rather than the bundle, any idea why?

Do they ship the df64 with the burrs installed and the added price is for the installation? If that's the case, are they so hard to install to make it worth the added 60€?

Thank you!
I bought from them and wondered about exactly the same thing. If you buy from them with burrs installed what you get is also alignment service in the price done by them. I had good few conversations with them how they do it etc. and decided I prefer to save €60 and do the alignment myself as you cannot be sure to what standard they are doing it so I would end up checking and probably re-doing it anyway :D so I have saved €60

Alignment as a bit of pain but it is done now and it is done to quite high standard by myself :)

Saved €60 was spent on coffee and mods for DF64 - declumper, anti-pop, grind dial :)

I will be looking to get a different anti-pop as the one I got maybe stops popping but also 3 out 5 times beans jam in it and I have to unjam them with my finger (oops!).

I also might try different declumper. Current mythos one works really well in-declumping area but grinds still got randomly stuck at times causing retention to rise from the usual 0.2g to 0.5 - 0.7.

I hate bellows so my aim is to find declumper that would allow me to forgo bellows non-sense all together.

sebna

#1383: Post by sebna »

Also I thought I will give you all a quick update on how is my life going with SSP MP for milk drinks :D

Are they pain or what? I usually drink one strong coffee in the morning and that is it for the day. Because of that and the fact that I was dialing 5 different beans and learning my new semi-automatic espresso maker at the same time it took me about 2 months to start to understand how to dial them in. The are very finicky in compare to everything else I have used before them (arguably not much as only conical grinder in beans to cup and mignon silenzio). Their operating window for given beans is extremely narrow. Tiny bit off and I loose main tasting notes from coffee. With beans to cup and Silenzio, basically almost anything I have done, no matter how stupid and experimental I could always taste main tasting note of the coffee. With DF64 and SSP MP you either nail it with extreme precision or not even a hint of main tasting note! Bastards they are. But when nailed they are sublime, most of the time quite boring in their microscoping of certain aspects of taste but completely ignoring variety of tastes which are easy to get with other grinders I have tried.

I have a bit of love hate relation with them but they produce technically the best coffee I ever had. I guess I would love for them to keep the huge dive into the detail of particular taste notes the can excavate from beans but also for those tastes notes would be more widespread per cup. They tend to focus on one or two but with high precision of detail retrieval. When Silenzio had more widespread reach but with less detail.

And Silenzio was very forgiving when SSP MPs are anything but.

Still I like them a lot and with every day of progress I make with them I like them more and more and already way beyond what Silenzio was able to achieve.

Word_salad

#1384: Post by Word_salad »

Got the DF64 with SSP MP from espresso outlet today. It comes with the metal dial indicator which is nice. As others have mentioned this grinder feels pretty solid. I seasoned it with half a pound of dark beans from trader joes (will probably do some more, but I was impatient to try it).

Pulled a shot of Leam Hammer, 14g on setting 12. I did RDT and used the bellows and got 13.8 out without much fuss which I was impressed with (you could argue retention or exchange but the ground all looked really light where as what I used to season was all really dark). Used my PID'd La Pavoni, did a 10 second preinfusion until I saw beading then a 10 second soak, then pulled at 6bar for ~25-30s, group temp was 95C. Got 28g out, I was hoping for more but the pull was a little spongy.

Shot was good, pretty clean and sweet. Didn't get any super strong flavor notes, but for basically pulling this out of the box and running it I was happy. I'll do some more seasoning and play around with grind size and other shot parameters, and if I feel the need I might do alignment.

mmartins

#1385: Post by mmartins »

sebna wrote:I bought from them and wondered about exactly the same thing. If you buy from them with burrs installed what you get is also alignment service in the price done by them. I had good few conversations with them how they do it etc. and decided I prefer to save €60 and do the alignment myself as you cannot be sure to what standard they are doing it so I would end up checking and probably re-doing it anyway :D so I have saved €60

Alignment as a bit of pain but it is done now and it is done to quite high standard by myself :)

Saved €60 was spent on coffee and mods for DF64 - declumper, anti-pop, grind dial :)

I will be looking to get a different anti-pop as the one I got maybe stops popping but also 3 out 5 times beans jam in it and I have to unjam them with my finger (oops!).

I also might try different declumper. Current mythos one works really well in-declumping area but grinds still got randomly stuck at times causing retention to rise from the usual 0.2g to 0.5 - 0.7.

I hate bellows so my aim is to find declumper that would allow me to forgo bellows non-sense all together.
Thank you!
Yes they ended up replying to me saying that. I'm still questioning if I should do it or pay for it... if they do it properly it can save me a lot of time as this can be time consuming if the simple rotation of the burrs does not work.

I also saw that they have a "22" version on their site, they told me that the 22 version has dosing colar and dial indicator, anyone has one with this 2 things? I wonder if they did any update on the decumpler as well

GDM528

#1386: Post by GDM528 »

sebna wrote:I hate bellows so my aim is to find declumper that would allow me to forgo bellows non-sense all together.
Even if there's no declumper there will still be some grind left in the machine. Check out post #31 in this thread Hacking the DF64 exit chute In a declumperless design there's still some grounds that accumulate on the walls of the chute. There's also some grounds still left in the grind chamber. Total is less than 0.1g - but knowing it's there... how can one not tap the bellows a couple times? Personally, I don't have the willpower to resist the urge ;)

If the DF64 manufacturer is reading this thread, I'd ask them to consider tweaking the design of the impeller blades to push air through the machine more aggressively.

wilsonywx

#1387: Post by wilsonywx »

I have been mostly using my DF64 (with ssp mp) for chemex. I got sick of the declumper early on because it was slowing down the output rate, and for finer grind sizes this means the grinder will clog up and choke.

What I do with the chemex is I pre-wet the filters, then I hold up the chemex to the chute and let it directly grind into the wet paper filter. This eliminates any clingy staticky grounds. I combine this with a regular pumping motion which seems to get most of the grinds out. I am not anal about getting the output mass exactly equal to the input mass, but there seems to be very little leftovers inside the grinder when used this way.

The static electricity does get much worse when grinding for espresso though and I haven't found a great solution for that.

boringegg

#1388: Post by boringegg »

I just received my DF64v2 last week and installed the SSP cast version burr myself. I assume it is a v2 since it has clear o-rings around the ID of the fixed and rotary burr carrier, newer fixed burr carrier design, but it did not come with the metal dial indicator.
The factory o-rings seals with the factory burrs, however my new SSP cast version burr, i had to replace the factor o-rings with #128 o-rings and now it seals around the ID of BOTH burrs nicely. I've also replaced the bigger o-ring on the fixed burr carrier with #147 for better sealing of the grind chamber (factory 0-ring leaves slight gap).
Oh, and I've also cut and removed the flaps on the factory declumper.
Forgot to take pics of the fixed burr carrier but i know it's different than the one i've seen online.
stock o-ring

new #128 o-ring

CM00

#1389: Post by CM00 »

The o-rings are an improvement indeed, in my case there is a lot of coffee getting in between the carrier and the burrs. I will try to find similar ones and install them, you mentioned #128 as dimension or was it something else? ( I know nothing about o-rings dimension, sorry for the question). And the o-ring doesn't affect in anyway how the burr is seated in the lower carrier right?

Cheers!

boringegg

#1390: Post by boringegg » replying to CM00 »

This is the o-ring i used for both fixed and rotary burr carriers. I prefer the 50A hardness since the factory o-ring thickness is ~1.8mm while this #128 o-ring is ~2.6mm. The burr should compress the o-rings slightly for good seal.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0051X ... UTF8&psc=1
The fixed carrier technically should use a #129 o-ring, but a little bit of stretching of #128 works fine as well. That way both carrier use the same #128 o-ring.
I'm not sure if the V2 rotary burr carrier is different than the V1 since I can't really find any photos online. For reference, my guess of the factory burr carrier o-ring is #029. Both #029 and #128 has an inner diameter of ~37.8mm. Think of the #128 o-ring is the thicker version of the #29, bigger outer diameter while keeping the same inner diameter
Word of caution, this thicker o-ring replacement is only needed if you are installing different burrs (in my case SSP lab sweet) AND your fixed carrier is V2 of the DF64. if your carrier look like this, the o-ring will not fit since the carrier was not machined to fit the ring. The newer V2 fixed carrier are machined differently.
★ Helpful