G-IOTA / DF64 espresso grinder - Page 137

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
lemonchicken

#1361: Post by lemonchicken »

Yes, it is true. Just received my order. Definitely has the seals and the aluminum indicator. Dialed in espresso on the third shot. Filter seems to have more usable range than my fellow ode.

old_bear

#1362: Post by old_bear »

What is generally a difference of G-IOTA from non-European? It seems that df64coffee.com and American shops are cheaper than coffee24.de and homebarista.be (if customs to outside EU are added). Accessories there seem to also be very expensive.

Advertisement
orca987

#1363: Post by orca987 »

lemonchicken wrote:Yes, it is true. Just received my order. Definitely has the seals and the aluminum indicator. Dialed in espresso on the third shot. Filter seems to have more usable range than my fellow ode.
Awesome. Can you post some pictures of v3? Would definitely like to see the upgrades.

Sersimons

#1364: Post by Sersimons »

I also want to buy it from homebarista.be but for me is unclear what's version they sell, the same model it's sold for 400 or 430€. My plan is to buy the basic model and later upgrade it to SSP HU.

ShotPull

#1365: Post by ShotPull »

I just received mine and used it for the first time today. I hate this part ... getting used to the new gear but so far so good. What surprised me is my very first grind had a negative ratio (18g ground, 15g of espresso in the cup) and didn't suck! Second try I ended up with about a 2:1 ratio and that was even better. I do Americanos 90% of the time.

mmartins

#1366: Post by mmartins »

Hello,

I want to order a DF64 with SSP burrs. At homebarista.be it's cheaper to buy the DF64 and the burrs separately rather than the bundle, any idea why?

Do they ship the df64 with the burrs installed and the added price is for the installation? If that's the case, are they so hard to install to make it worth the added 60€?

Thank you!

Happymonday

#1367: Post by Happymonday »

My zero point is at around 04:00, which seems very unusual to me. I have the SSP HU burrs and my espresso is typically between 9 - 15. Pour overs, which i don't have much experience with, is around 60. Aeropress has been at around 30.

Advertisement
iyayy

#1368: Post by iyayy »

Happymonday wrote:My zero point is at around 04:00, which seems very unusual to me. I have the SSP HU burrs and my espresso is typically between 9 - 15. Pour overs, which i don't have much experience with, is around 60. Aeropress has been at around 30.
looks about right?
im at 2oclock zero as well with either ssp mp or cast.
6oclock zero with stock.

grinds are much differrent.
1-4 cast, 60~ brews, more uneven particle at coarse.
9-12 mp, 50~ brews, more even particle but muddy bed.
16+ stock, didnt bother brew, about or atleast 80+, muddy and not so even.
for brew 1zkpro is much cleaner taste and has best even particle size and cleanest bed, also uses every bit of grounds (true zero retention), i didnt find it worthwhile to try further. i also skip bellow for brew since the dusts makes things more inconsistent. ymmv.
i use v60 kasuya method.
mmartins wrote:Hello,

Do they ship the df64 with the burrs installed and the added price is for the installation? If that's the case, are they so hard to install to make it worth the added 60€?

Thank you!
test done on same day. its not hard to replace the burrs, and after finding correct orientation, all my burrs are very much closely aligned with marker tests. but if u need to shim, its gonna take quite awhile and lots of try and test. just be careful about de-threading the collar. its fiddly and quite easy to miss the thread when screwing it in.

Runoratsu

#1369: Post by Runoratsu »

So I got mine now (from bohnendealer.coffee), with the TiN coated Italmill burrs. 0 position is exactly at the front, where the indicator line is below the dial:

But there's no other indicator in the box.

The declumper, while it miiight be thinner, more flexible than in the past, is also still just that silicone rubber thing with the star cut into it. So if they "improved" something, it wasn't groundbreaking (haha, breaking grounds :D)

Also, while the silver version looks like it has brushed aluminium on the outside in some of the promo shots, that isn't the case. It's still just a silver (plastic foil) wrap.

Also, you may want to open your new DF64 up before using it for the first time. There was aluminium dust residue from machining in some of the pockets around the grind chamber, and many sharp edges and burrs (haha, burrs. I swear, I'm not doing this on purpose!) on the body's parts, very little cleanup as far as I can see. They seem to be cranking them out at high speed.

Mine also has a beauty mark on the bean funnel, but since it doesn't negatively impact the grinder's performance, I ignored it:

Satisfied with its performance so far otherwise, it's still as static for coarser grind settings as it ever was, it's all in all what I expected.

Jeff
Team HB

#1370: Post by Jeff »

FWIW, Espresso Outlet (US) delivery arrived and it comes with a metal indicator installed. There is an o-ring under the upper burr (I haven't checked the lower burr) and another one that "seals" the upper carrier to the lower housing (which may not be a change from previous versions).

The thing with SSP MP burrs is very loud, 89 dBA (NOISH SLM) at roughly head position when grinding a medium-light Kenyan. I don't own a Sette, so I can't make that comparison. My Bentwood is around 72 dBA.