G-IOTA / DF64 espresso grinder - Page 134

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
helderbarreto

#1331: Post by helderbarreto »

Guys, do you think there is a significant gain in terms of flavor in filtered coffee when comparing the DF64 SSP MP with the Comandante? Please be very sincere :lol:

cmin

#1332: Post by cmin »

helderbarreto wrote:I will avoid that website.

Has anyone bought form Miicoffee? Is this their real website?

https://miicoffee.shop/
I bought mine from Mii last year

Advertisement
jesse

#1333: Post by jesse »

helderbarreto wrote:Guys, do you think there is a significant gain in terms of flavor in filtered coffee when comparing the DF64 SSP MP with the Comandante? Please be very sincere :lol:
I'd be curious to hear someone weigh in on this as well. I'm guessing the answer is "yes"..

Jonk

#1334: Post by Jonk »

helderbarreto wrote:Guys, do you think there is a significant gain in terms of flavor in filtered coffee when comparing the DF64 SSP MP with the Comandante? Please be very sincere :lol:
jesse wrote:I'd be curious to hear someone weigh in on this as well. I'm guessing the answer is "yes"..
There is a difference, but I'm not sure I'd call it a significant gain. I'd lean more towards "no" - especially if you don't mind cranking by hand.

mbbrew

#1335: Post by mbbrew »

I think they taste different, and it is a matter of preference and individual coffee than one being better than the other. I don't have a Commandante but I've used my friends for a number of cups, and also have a K-Plus (and both cast and MP SSP burrs). I use and enjoy all of them and if I have a significant quantity of coffee I will try it on all of them. I've had coffees where one was noticeably better suited and I've had coffees where they taste pretty similar across the burrs.

basiecally

#1336: Post by basiecally »

Kran wrote:I would second the suggestion of considering the SSP LS Cast. I have those in my Ode and they're pretty fantastic for brew.

I actually just received and installed a pair of SSP HU burrs for my DF64. In an ideal world I would have 2 Df64's or 2 Odes to use various burr sets in and run side-by-side tests. That seems a little excessive though.

As a side note, I was happy with the stock DF64 burrs for espresso. Part for taste and part because I had a good workflow down with no need to RDT while still getting nice static free grinds. I thought this was due to the stock burrs being nicely broken in. Then I ground my first shot with brand new SSP HU burrs with no RDT and got this:

Partly confused but happy I don't have to wait for break in to settle down any static issues.
This has probably been covered earlier in this thread but holy crap, over 130 pages...

Those pf horns/holder is a beaut! Did you make it yourself or is this an after market thing for the DF64?

On a side note: I was directed here for something I noticed when modding the exit chute of mine. The burr chirp point moved. I heard this may have something to do with the mounting screws for the front and the PF hook holder. Can someone elaborate on this, if it's true? How to avoid it and any workarounds? I re-did a marker test on mine and alignment is still good. So I guess it would mean that the motor assembly has shifted axially.

GDM528

#1337: Post by GDM528 »

basiecally wrote:On a side note: I was directed here for something I noticed when modding the exit chute of mine. The burr chirp point moved. I heard this may have something to do with the mounting screws for the front and the PF hook holder. Can someone elaborate on this, if it's true? How to avoid it and any workarounds? I re-did a marker test on mine and alignment is still good. So I guess it would mean that the motor assembly has shifted axially.
Try searching for "spacer" in this thread...

Advertisement
ancoffee

#1338: Post by ancoffee »

Love my DF64, Do I need to upgrade to p64?

dudelorf

#1339: Post by dudelorf »

helderbarreto wrote:I will avoid that website.

Has anyone bought form Miicoffee? Is this their real website?

https://miicoffee.shop/
I bought mine from miicoffee along with the SSP High Uniformity burrs a few months ago and had a great experience.

They sent out a shipping notification almost immediately after placing the order and responded quickly to a question I had. The grinder was at my door within a few days and came well packaged. There was a free 3d printed grind size dial indicator that came with the grinder which was a nice touch. I had them send the grinder with the original burrs and installed the SSP burrs myself.

There is a slight bubble under the vinyl wrap near the exit chute on my grinder, but it is hardly noticeable. I think this is more an issue with the original manufacturer than anything with miicoffee specifically. Besides that the grinder has been working great and has been a huge improvement over the Sette 270 it replaced.

helderbarreto

#1340: Post by helderbarreto »

I'd like to share my complete positive experience with MiiCoffee at https://miicoffee.shop/

I live in Brazil and through their online chat asked about the possibility of shipping to my country. I took a few minutes and I was surprised by their positive answer (the only options were US and Canada before).

I chose the ceramic black with MP burrs. It took only 14 days since shipping, paying taxes and receiving in my door.

I can only recommend Miicoffee to everyone.

I also would like to thank all of you that helped me.

That 220V power outlet isn't of DF64, it's from my induction heater.