G-IOTA / DF64 espresso grinder - Page 124

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
PartySausage

#1231: Post by PartySausage »

Bigun404 wrote:I went for the HU in the end and straight from SSP , £168 delivered. I have watched a few Internet reviews over the weekend, that why I have chosen the HU. I will let you know the delivery time and if I incur any charges at the border.
Excellent. It will be great to hear how you get on with them.
After convincing myself I wanted the MP burrs I'm really on the fence again after reading some posts on a German forum.
I mailed SSP about the MP availability & they replied with a couple of weeks. The website doesn't show any 64mm variations in stock at the moment

Bigun404

#1232: Post by Bigun404 »

They must have the HU in stock but the MP are only available in two weeks. I did enquire about paying now and dispatching once the stock arrived, no worries if that the case. The PayPal payment was legit

Bigun404

#1233: Post by Bigun404 »

Me too , I don't want anything super clear . I can get very suttle tones of citrus with the standard burrs , I am not looking for a fruit bomb in the mouth . I am hoping the HU is just enough for me .

PartySausage

#1234: Post by PartySausage »

Bigun404 wrote:They must have the HU in stock but the MP are only available in two weeks. I did enquire about paying now and dispatching once the stock arrived, no worries if that the case. The PayPal payment was legit
That's good to know. Maybe by the time they're in stock I'll have made my mind up :?

Bigun404

#1235: Post by Bigun404 »

I recently purchased my machine in the UK , branded as Solo. I don't seem to be experiencing issues with the clump crusher. Can anyone tell me if the latest grinders purchased in the UK have an updated clump crusher. Will save me taking it apart .

Bigun404

#1236: Post by Bigun404 »

I have added a metal anti popcorn device today. Works well, not much behind my clump crusher. Enlarged the hole by 1mm with an 8mm bit but it's still tight on the nut. I was a little worried about the cutting fluid on my bits , but I washed with hot water and soap to remove , but honestly I could not see any residue. New burrs have been shipped , they are China, should be here by the end of the week. Also got a new bezel and sticker to set to zero in the original position .

tamhleten

#1237: Post by tamhleten »

What are your impressions with respect to (1) beans in, then grinder on vs. (2) grinder on, then beans on the DF64? I tried for a couple days (2) grinder on, then beans and counterintuitively I am getting a bit of bitterness that wasn't there with approach (1).

Please do try the other approach than what you usually use and post if you taste a difference. Particularly if you are trying to extract a lot/ pulling at 1:3 or above.

(For me this was with light roast Kenya, that I have been always pulling at 1:3 or even 1:3.5, so admittedly I am pushing it.
I am running SSP MP, untouched clump crusher, directly into the portafilter basket. Tap before bellowing so that the fines and chaff stay more or less on top of the puck. WDT and paper filter on top of puck.)

Bigun404

#1238: Post by Bigun404 »

I've just pulled out my version 2 clump crusher , I was surprised how many grinds were trapped behind there . I can see the difference now I have the new one installed. I have never really experimented with chucking the beans in once the motor is spinning, but from a workflow point for me it's better to place the beans in the bellow and grind.

_Ryan_

#1239: Post by _Ryan_ »

If I can work out where to hire (or line things up to borrow) a decent accuracy refractometer(as the <$500 ones are only accurate to 0.2%), I'm considering testing all the sets of burrs I own and it makes sense to add DF64 standard burrs to the mix (albeit in the Mazzer Super Jolly chassis) for completeness as SSP burrs are a common upgrade for DF64 owners.
My intention is to collect TDS/EY data for the below burr sets, both with fixed ratio and dialed in/optimised for each burr set. If the TDS/EY data isn't useful on it's own if planets align I could try and organise a few people as tasters for triangle tests, not sure if I have the time (or connections) to line up a cafe to host it and get a few HBers down there...

I own:
• Mazzer Mini E 64mm (espresso)
• Mazzer Super Jolly 64mm (espresso)
• SSP High Uniformity red speed 64mm (espresso)
• SSP Unimodal/Brew V1 silver knight 64mm (v60 and spro)

I need to try and find some 5-20kg old standard burrs (cheap, for science) that have been replaced in a:
DF64 (espresso)
• Fellow Ode (v60)

The purpose of this post is two fold.
1- Would you find it useful to understand the "as is" and "to be" TDS/EY for standard DF64 burrs vs. SSP HU?
2- What are standard DF64 burrs worth ($AU or $US) to purchase, or borrow for a month?

Pls quote me when responding so that I get a notification.

Bigun404

#1240: Post by Bigun404 »

Well all my items have arrived , no import duty upto now , but Fedex have sent me letters weeks after delivery in the past. Looking forward to installing the new burrs this weekend . I have got a kilo of French roast beans to season the burrs , will this be enough ? It's stating 5kg in the instructions before grinding for espresso :?: