G-IOTA / DF64 espresso grinder - Page 122

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Bigun404

#1211: Post by Bigun404 »

I had a reply , see below and now I have a contact, £162 shipped and a possible £45 when entering the UK but it could get through.

Thank you for email.

it costs 220 USD including Fedex. Paypal is available.
but now it is all sold out and will be available again 2 weeks later.

PartySausage

#1212: Post by PartySausage »

HI I'm not sure where i got the sheet from as I've had it a while. When I measured was around 200 micron thick. I do have some sheet that's 80 micron but I'm not sure if that would be a little too fragile. I then used a compass cutter to size it.

PartySausage

#1213: Post by PartySausage »

Bigun404 wrote:I had a reply , see below and now I have a contact, £162 shipped and a possible £45 when entering the UK but it could get through.

Thank you for email.

it costs 220 USD including Fedex. Paypal is available.
but now it is all sold out and will be available again 2 weeks later.
That's good news. Thanks for the update.
I guess once VAT, Import etc is added that would be around 200 GBP. Let's see what crops up in a couple of weeks :)

Bigun404

#1214: Post by Bigun404 »

Sent you a PM with the contact email address , I didn't want to create a stampede posting in the chat.

Bigun404

#1215: Post by Bigun404 »

No sorry that PM is the guy at SSP not my personal email address . Sorry for the confusion, you can email him direct to order your burrs.

PartySausage

#1216: Post by PartySausage »

Ha ha brilliant I never even twigged. Thanks for letting me know :oops:

HalfCaff

#1217: Post by HalfCaff »

A few pages above this post I asked about channeling. I think I've solved the problem, at least for my grinder. Rather than grinding into a dosing cup, then transferring to the portafilter, I've been grinding directly into the portafilter. I use a portafilter funnel to avoid spillage and I still use a WDT to distribute the grounds. Channeling has changed from terrible spurting with every shot to almost none with no other changes in technique. (I use a bottomless portafilter and obsessively watch every shot up close and personal.)

Why would this make a difference? It looks to me as though most of the fines come out at the end of the grind, especially if I use the bellows. Grinding into a dosing cup puts all those fines at the bottom of the filter basket where they (maybe) become a solid-ish barrier to flow. Grinding into the portafilter causes the fines to cascade down the mound and (I think) distribute themselves more uniformly throughout the puck depth.

I suppose I could get the same effect by WDT'ing the grinds while they're still in the dosing cup, but I'm not going to mess with success!

Bigun404

#1218: Post by Bigun404 »

I have just started to experiment with this. I was grinding into the cup , then remove , weigh , cover the cup and shake , add to the portafilter , couple of taps on the work surface and levelled with a asos jack leveller. Didn't have a problem with channeling , but I did before I added the shake to my process. Now I am experimenting with grinding straight into the PF using a funnel, with a tap on the counter , WDT and levelled with the jack leveler. I use pre infusion on my machine , no channeling with both methods, but I am finding the results from the second method better in the cup and I can back off slightly on the grinding settings. I can see constant pours from both methods with nothing showing on the puck after extraction.

spopinski

#1219: Post by spopinski »

Latest tweak :D

Bigun404

#1220: Post by Bigun404 »

People are aware that the ring has a protective shipping cover on it, when you remove this the numbers are crystal clear and easy to align. I have added an indicator to mine and off set the zero position. Anyone else using a 10 degree base?