G-IOTA / DF64 espresso grinder - Page 118

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mikelipino

#1171: Post by mikelipino »

I was probably being overly cautious, but I didn't want to tax the motor as much with a finer grind with so much coffee. After a pound of coffee you can feel the heat off the grinder body, and since it's entombed in a heavy aluminum body without ventilation, it stays warm for a while!

rdc

#1172: Post by rdc »

@mikelipino - Thanks for the welcome and tips! @Jonk - Yes, that's what I understand too.

Not having a refined palate and preferring traditional espresso for now, I just went with the standard non-coated burrs. Those 64mm Ditting Lab Sweet burrs sure sound the bomb if they're anything like the original LS 80mm cast burrs but I'm holding out until these have been run in and I have more experience with the grinder.

-Ray

mikelipino

#1173: Post by mikelipino »

I started with the stock steel burrs and found them really nice and a definite upgrade to my previous grinders. I'm sure you'll be happy with them. Nice thing is that you can replace them whenever, and steels will give you a good baseline to where you want to go next (if you even do). I wanted a clarity bomb, do 50/50 espresso and pour overs, and didn't mind sacrificing texture, so SSP MPs made sense and were noticeable after using the steels for 6 months. With the Ditting burrs on the horizon (crossing my fingers they'll be available outside of Lagom), we have quite a few options!

HalfCaff

#1174: Post by HalfCaff »

Hi all! Just joined, first post. I received my DF64 about a week ago after using a 1zpresso JX-Pro for about 6 months. I'm posting because I can't get uniform flow through the puck. My bottomless portafilter reveals one or more sites of spurting in nearly every shot, and the flow out the bottom is very nonuniform. It's significantly worse than the results I got from the JX-Pro. Some details:

- fresh beans, medium roast
- aligned stock burrs
- stock declumper (assuming 2nd gen because I have the revised dial font)
- enough pumping to get grinds out = beans in by weight (this is after a couple of grind cycles)
- distribute/stir/de-clump bed with WDT (acupuncture needles zip tied to wine cork)
- tap WDT'ed coffee bed straight down on counter a few times to get a flat surface (firm, but not gorilla level)
- sometime use spinny leveling tool, sometimes not - it doesn't seem to make a difference
- tamp hard enough that I don't feel tamper going deeper into basket

My questions:
- Is it normal for a flat burr grinder to require more finesse than a conical grinder to achieve uniform flow?
- What preparation steps do you suggest changing or adding to my routine?

Thanks for any advise!

cmin

#1175: Post by cmin »

HalfCaff wrote:Hi all! Just joined, first post. I received my DF64 about a week ago after using a 1zpresso JX-Pro for about 6 months. I'm posting because I can't get uniform flow through the puck. My bottomless portafilter reveals one or more sites of spurting in nearly every shot, and the flow out the bottom is very nonuniform. It's significantly worse than the results I got from the JX-Pro. Some details:
Reminds me of my DF64, still have similar issues, even today, side by side aligned Vario, Vario is flat out better. I always get a sorta wonky stream, slight uneven flow, or sprays or naked spots. Don't have that issue with any other grinder, not Vario, not Mono Flat, nor previous grinders. I've taken it apart, it's aligned spot on about as perfect as you can on these multiple times. Also for whatever reason on DF and stock burrs, body is noticeably thinner than other grinders. Had mine since August I think, it's weeeeeeeell seasoned and broken in by now, no difference.

There's another owner I talked to that has same issues and still hasn't changed. To me that shows there's batches of these grinders that are faulty in tolerance somehow, that or the stock burr sucks, even Vario is clearly better in taste. Problem is sol trying to return as once you open up and align and mod like removing the awful declumper like I did voids warranty.

I pulled 5x with it even today, new bag of Penstock Archemedes. Each shot even dialing further same kinda wonky flow issues, 1st shot on Vario not even dialed was better taste and body. Sometimes looks like it's going to be a nice syrupy pull, than just goes blonde and flows fast. Oddest grinder I've ever had.

I've never been able to get a uniform flow with this grinder, whether mine or using on friends setup (Slayer, lucky bastard lol). Also like today, I've seen differences in extraction times and flow w/o even changing the grind setting which makes 0 sense to me, no issues with other grinders like that or even going back years ago.

mentaculus

#1176: Post by mentaculus »

I just pulled the trigger on a preorder with SSP MP burrs. For now, I am going to be using it just for filter coffee (V60). I'm wondering if there is any disadvantage to just removing the declumper entirely? Will it leave a gap where ground can collect? Should I cut out the middle of the declumper and put it back in to fill the space around the exit?

cmin

#1177: Post by cmin » replying to mentaculus »

Cut out middle part and leave outter as it still needs to seal. Similar to flipping the flap in Vario chute, that way no flap but the seal for the chute is there.

mbbrew

#1178: Post by mbbrew »

mentaculus wrote:I just pulled the trigger on a preorder with SSP MP burrs. For now, I am going to be using it just for filter coffee (V60). I'm wondering if there is any disadvantage to just removing the declumper entirely? Will it leave a gap where ground can collect? Should I cut out the middle of the declumper and put it back in to fill the space around the exit?
Only thing is that you will absolutely need to RDT or you will get static everywhere, but it works great with no declumper if you do this.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#1179: Post by Brewzologist »

I have MP burrs. Removed declumper entirely and replaced with open spacer. Also removed PF holder. Use RDT all the time. Getting great espresso and pour over results with this setup.

No channeling or sprites with spro and only do light WDT as I just don't get clumps.

Also, I like to grind directly into a basket with a magnetic funnel. Easier to control for even filling than with the basket in a PF.

HTH

mentaculus

#1180: Post by mentaculus »

Great, thanks everyone for the feedback on completely removing the declumper. I'll probably experiment with modifying vs. totally removing it.