G-IOTA / DF64 espresso grinder - Page 117

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
canatto

#1161: Post by canatto »

cap2 wrote:This is great solution. How long did it take these 5X18mm spacers to arrive?
Took three weeks.

canatto

#1162: Post by canatto »

Jeff wrote:If you regularly order from McMaster, they seem to have several M5 x 19 mm options
https://www.mcmaster.com/spacers/male-f ... ngth~19mm/
19mm would be slightly too long, at least so on my machine, resulting in a floating upper burr due to the outer casing of the grinder not fully seated on the base. I started out with 20mm spacers I picked up at local electronic parts store, gradually filed them down on a drill press while trying the fitment frequently. At about 18.5 mm the grinder casing started securely seated on the base. I then determined 18mm ought to be a great fit.

So instead of 19mm, perhaps 18mm and a few 0.5mm thickness washers, if uncertain. It's easier to shim them up than trim them down, if not equipped with tools to make them shorter.
★ Helpful

Advertisement
Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#1163: Post by Brewzologist »

Agree on using a slightly shorter stand-off. Given the otherwise robust construction of the DF64, I've wondered why they didn't include a standoff in the casting. Perhaps they do want some degree of tension pulling the motor assembly downward to keep things seated. I set my bolts finger tight and it's been very consistent, but I ordered the 18mm stand-offs and will give them a try. Thx!

EDIT: And if I recall from disassembling the Niche before I sold it, the motor housing is also not firmly anchored to the base and Niche used rubber caps where the housing meets the base.

mikelipino

#1164: Post by mikelipino »

Maybe the motor is floating on the DF64 / Niche to reduce noise and vibration? Might be more trouble than it's worth, but bushings might be placed between standoffs and the motor mount to reduce vibrations like on Eureka grinders. I also just torque the screws finger tight without issue, but would be curious how the standoffs work out.

rdc

#1165: Post by rdc »

I've been lurking for a while and I'm a newbie. Great site to research other people's thoughts about equipment/techniques/tips!

Up until a couple months ago I had been using a superautomatic with built in grinder that I used for a decade. Had to replace the grinder motor a couple of times, but other than that, it was great. Workflow: get up & go to kitchen, push a button to take espresso machine out of standby, a couple minutes later push the button twice to start a double shot, microwave 3 oz heavy whipping cream for 40 seconds, pour espresso into the cup with heated cream, drink flattish white. I had it really dialed in as much as I could and decided it was time to upgrade while everything was working so well - I can always drag the old machine back to the bench if/when new equipment fails.

I knew going prosumer meant getting a decent grinder first. After a lot of reading I decided on a Eureka Mignon Chrono with espresso burrs from SCG. I know, I know, but the decision was based on Niche Zero being unavailable in the US at a reasonable price, build quality, sound level and even though this is an entry level grinder, it has all the same hardware as all the 50mm Mignons, no one (at least with my level palate) seems to claim a cup taste improvement imparted by the more expensive 55mm burr Specialita or even XL. To me, using the Chrono with my old superautomatic dramatically improved the flavor in the cup. I was happier.

Then I upgraded the superautomatic to the MaraX with flow control. I was very happy with it for my workflow until I began drinking TOO much coffee and realized I needed to cut back on my caffeine. I'm in the process of finding my favorite high octane/decaf coffees now. I think I like more traditional Italian profile (chocolate/nuts). Even in that profile, there are a lot of coffees to try. It is a real pain dialing in one coffee then another at least twice a day on the Chrono. The NZ is still pretty much unavailable to me so I decided to give the DF64 a try. Ordered from MiiCoffee since they have them in stock and espressooutlet doesn't. Ordered 4 days ago, it arrived today.

First thing I did was adjust the grind adjustment spring sleeves to be flush with the bottom of the springs to allow full adjustment capability (CY-Gluons video).
The second thing was to to move the rotating burr through its 3 screw positions checking alignment with erase marker and difference between grinder lock and touch points. I was able to reduce the difference by an adjustment mark or so (upwards of around 12.5 microns better I guess) with about 75% of the marker wiped. Then I did the same with the static burr, first rotating the carrier then the burr within the carrier. I was able to drop the difference between touch and lock by another adjustment mark or so - so another 12.5 microns better relative alignment. It had better than 50% marker wipe. The difference between touch and lock positions went from around 5 adjustment marks (a little high at ~62.5 microns) to ~3 (less than target of 50 microns) just from rotating carrier in mount and burr position.
I'm not going to shim the burrs if necessary until checked after I've run in a few pounds of beans (probably a few months).

I've run and tossed a few 18g doses through at espresso grind range. The 4th went in at 18g came out at 17.8g 13 adjustment marks from burr touch. Tried to pull a shot but it almost choked the MaraX - took 2 minutes to pull 35g coffee at 9.5 bar (major channeling and squirters from naked pf. Didn't even taste it). The fifth went at 17 adjustment marks from touch, 18.1g in 18g out but the shot it pulled was too fast 40g in 20 seconds from first drop (I had to limit flow even to get that it was going so fast, group head pressure around 5 bar). Cup under extracted but ok in americano.

I'm looking forward to seeing any other results from motor float issue. I just wanted to share my experience so far. I'll play with it more tomorrow and check in if I have questions/observations for the collective.
-Ray

mikelipino

#1166: Post by mikelipino »

Welcome Ray! Which burr set did you go with? One thing I'd note, until your burrs are seasoned you may find that your grind settings float around quite a bit. If you'd like them to settle quicker, you can pass a few pounds of cheaper supermarket coffee through the machine (a pound or less at a time, waiting about an hour for the motor to cool off) ground at filter coffee setting to coat the burrs and smooth off the sharp edges -- perfectly drinkable or you could give it away to friends and family. I'm at the tail end of seasoning some SSP MP burrs, which are hardened, with about 8 lbs of coffee, and I'm starting to see my espresso times settle. If I remember correctly, the stock steel burrs might take half that. Keep at it!

Jonk

#1167: Post by Jonk »

For uncoated burrs, I think you'll get more "seasoning" per pound so to speak at a fine setting. If I understand correctly the idea is to basically dull the edges a bit so imperfections from manufacturing are smoothed out.

Advertisement
mikelipino

#1168: Post by mikelipino »

I was probably being overly cautious, but I didn't want to tax the motor as much with a finer grind with so much coffee. After a pound of coffee you can feel the heat off the grinder body, and since it's entombed in a heavy aluminum body without ventilation, it stays warm for a while!

rdc

#1169: Post by rdc »

@mikelipino - Thanks for the welcome and tips! @Jonk - Yes, that's what I understand too.

Not having a refined palate and preferring traditional espresso for now, I just went with the standard non-coated burrs. Those 64mm Ditting Lab Sweet burrs sure sound the bomb if they're anything like the original LS 80mm cast burrs but I'm holding out until these have been run in and I have more experience with the grinder.

-Ray

mikelipino

#1170: Post by mikelipino »

I started with the stock steel burrs and found them really nice and a definite upgrade to my previous grinders. I'm sure you'll be happy with them. Nice thing is that you can replace them whenever, and steels will give you a good baseline to where you want to go next (if you even do). I wanted a clarity bomb, do 50/50 espresso and pour overs, and didn't mind sacrificing texture, so SSP MPs made sense and were noticeable after using the steels for 6 months. With the Ditting burrs on the horizon (crossing my fingers they'll be available outside of Lagom), we have quite a few options!