G-IOTA / DF64 espresso grinder - Page 111

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
ihrm

#1101: Post by ihrm »

Would aligning the burrs help with grind distribution? Enjoying the results for espresso with the stock setup but the grind distrubition at a V60 grind left a lot to be desired (some very large boulders)

cap2

#1102: Post by cap2 »

cskorton wrote:Workflow is good, I just can't stand the noise compared to my hand grinder.
I have similar experience: For medium-roast espresso made with Robot, DF64 does no better than my 1ZPresso JE hand grinder, but workflow is obviously faster and static is easier to manage. If I wait to the end to use the bellows and throw away the gram of fines that come out, I do not have to do either RDT or WDT with the DF64. On the other hand, with the JE, I do both RDT and WDT, but don't throw any coffee away. I also get some joint soreness if I hand grind multiple shots per day. Does anyone get carpal tunnel hand-grinding coffee for themselves? Like you, I hate the noise of the DF64 --- though it is much quieter than most grinders in the price range. My Eureka Silenzio grinder is quieter than the DF64, but the 50mm burrs yield more lumps.

LObin

#1103: Post by LObin »

ihrm wrote:Would aligning the burrs help with grind distribution? Enjoying the results for espresso with the stock setup but the grind distrubition at a V60 grind left a lot to be desired (some very large boulders)
Many here have aligned their DF64, me included. The stock burrs are more espresso oriented so not the best for pour overs but from my own experience, they can still produce a sweet and tasty cup.

If you are not satisfied with your V60 results, I would indeed recommend aligning your grinder. There are info on how to proceed in this topic and a few YouTube videos on the subject.

Cheers!
LMWDP #592

mwynne

#1104: Post by mwynne »

cap2 wrote:Does anyone get carpal tunnel hand-grinding coffee for themselves?
Not as a direct result, but my wife and I both have developed pretty bad tendonitis primarily from hefting our twins about, and I can't grip my 1zpresso anymore. That's why I got the DF64.
LMWDP #673

LObin

#1105: Post by LObin »

Amyone here with SSP burrs noticing a shift in their 0 point a few days after cleaning the grinder?

When cleaning my grinder, I notice a certain amount of grinds underneath the top burr which seems to affect it's position and alignment. After cleaning and realigning, I have to adjust my 0 point by close to 5 marks. There's also a change in performance that I'm noticing mostly with light roasts.

I only noticed this after installing SSP MP's burrs. The difference could be explained by a larger gap vs the stock burrs or I'm simply noticing it more because of the unimodal distribution of the MPs. Anyhow, the 0 point changes and the alignment is affected because of that gap, which isn't great.

I use a 3D printed antipopcorn device and have the Mythos declumper on mine.
LMWDP #592

pdx-climber

#1106: Post by pdx-climber »

luvmy40 wrote:Shoot me a PM, I can get an anti popcorn device printed for you. Just send a link to the one you want. I'll ask my son to print it. Just pay the shipping.
Could you send me a file? I think I have a friend who could print me one. I have a DF64 on order and expect it in a week or so.
Thanks!

pdx-climber

#1107: Post by pdx-climber »

heytchap wrote:I messaged Amanda to ask if they've considered making a DF100 with 98mm burrs. She told me they're working on making an 83mm version of the DF64 possibly due out by the end of the year or early next.

That is _very_ interesting.
This is annoying! I expect my DF64 to come in a week or so. I expect this new beast to 'fix' things... (moved on/off, quieter, var-speed??).

Preparing for upgrade-itis...

On another note... I can still change my order to go to ti burrs... not much cost. Worth it? Main reason I think would be 'seasoning' not so needed and maybe more consistent grind? I was advised to just get stock burrs but wondering....

cmin

#1108: Post by cmin »

ihrm wrote:Would aligning the burrs help with grind distribution? Enjoying the results for espresso with the stock setup but the grind distrubition at a V60 grind left a lot to be desired (some very large boulders)
It'll definitely help but the stock burr is mehhh for V60, it's doable and ok I guess you can say, but my steel burr Vario blows it away for pour over and my Df64 I have aligned about as perfect as you can get. If your really going to do V60 I would swap the burrs out for SSP.

luvmy40

#1109: Post by luvmy40 »

pdx-climber wrote:Could you send me a file? I think I have a friend who could print me one. I have a DF64 on order and expect it in a week or so.
Thanks!
Here's the one I'm using.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4897986

Giampiero

#1110: Post by Giampiero »

I achieved a good ( for me) condition for my "espresso" routine.
In previous "experiments" i did noticed that the the bigger is the open area of the grinder hole ( where the chute get fixed to the grinder), more coffee was stuck in the chute itself.
So with a self-made transparent chute i did watch the coffee flow exiting the grinder hole, and i did realize that a reduced hole area was probably better to reduce the "blasting" force of the coffee flow, so i simply cut a thin pvc foil ( it was a doc folder cover) to make a sort of flapper to keep close the upper 50% area of the hole and let flow the coffee only in the lower area of the hole.
At the moment, once the burrs chamber is regularly filled in every nook, i can achieve between 0,2 to 0,3 gr retention ( instead of the normal 1gr) without using the bellows, i even reach a 0,1 but it was too much good to be repeatable.
I will back to the original lower burr carrier next week to verify if the modified lower burr carrier has really a part in the better results.
I'm not sure i took some photo, i will check later and eventually i will post it.
Statics it seems does not disappear, but basically without a "real" declumper i get quite nice grounds and almost clumping free, just few very small at the last grinds period.