G-IOTA / DF64 espresso grinder - Page 110

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mikelipino

#1091: Post by mikelipino »

For me on stock steel burrs, V60 / Clever / flat bottom brewers all use 61-67. Cone brewers (Moccamaster) use 81-85. What will you be doing?

mwynne

#1092: Post by mwynne »

Pourover (melitta-style) 50-55 most days.
LMWDP #673

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#1093: Post by Brewzologist »

Pour-over 55-60 with SSP MP burrs. Zero on my DF64 is calibrated to burr chirp.

Giampiero

#1094: Post by Giampiero »

Thank you for the info

Sib

#1095: Post by Sib »

Very interesting to hear the above responses!
I'm at 90 (burrs touch at 0) for medium-roast beans in a two-person V60.

heytchap

#1096: Post by heytchap »

I messaged Amanda to ask if they've considered making a DF100 with 98mm burrs. She told me they're working on making an 83mm version of the DF64 possibly due out by the end of the year or early next.

That is _very_ interesting.

Giampiero

#1097: Post by Giampiero »

So must to open another thread :lol:

heytchap

#1098: Post by heytchap »

No further info yet :( if I can get more info, I will.

mikelipino

#1099: Post by mikelipino »

Could you imagine a DF80 with Lab Sweet burrs? Especially one that isn't the size of a vending machine? One can dream!

cskorton

#1100: Post by cskorton »

Hi All!

It's been awhile since I posted an update with the G Iota I bought (and put SSP Espresso burrs in). I recently compared it again to my 68mm conical Kinu m68.

I gave the G Iota away to my brother who has been enjoying it with his setup. We didn't do any other mods to it besides upgrading to SSP espresso burrs, which probably wasn't even necessary. I'd highly suggest not messing with it until you get more comfortable with the G Iota, especially if you are a newbie. We've also found static to be good and a spritz of water isnt necessary.

Workflow is good, I just can't stand the noise compared to my hand grinder. I love the build quality and simplicity of Kinu m68 as well.

On to the taste test. By way of background, my brother and I both have a bias towards medium to dark roasts. We dabble into light roasts, but always go back to the more balanced stuff (for our tastes).

For the test, we pulled Devocion Toro blend. It's a super fresh Colombian, claiming notes of cherry, chocolate, vanilla, and almond.

We didn't do it blind and only pulled two shots after getting it dialed in.

I also wanna caveat that all the differences I list are minimal and I'm definitely splitting hairs. I'm not sure if I could pick the difference out blind:

The body on the Kinu was heavier, while the Iota was lighter (think melted chocolate vs soufflé). Both were pleasant I thought, just ever so slightly different. IMO the coffee itself dictates body more than the grinder.

Taste wise, I thought the Iota smoothed the highs and the lows of the Kinu, meaning acidity on the front end wasn't as high as the Kinu, and the finish wasn't as bitter as the Kinu. I wanna stress however it was very close. I thought the Iota brought out the almond note more than Kinu, and I got better flavor separation with the Iota. That's neither good or bad, and the difference was ever so slight.

Overall, both were good shots that I enjoyed. Taste wise, I liked the Iota shot better. Workflow wise I prefer the Kinu, as it's so much easier to dial in. It's also striking how much visually finer the grinds are out of the Iota than the Kinu.

Let me know if I can answer any questions!

Thanks