G-IOTA / DF64 espresso grinder - Page 104

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#1031: Post by Brewzologist »

I removed the declumper entirely and installed SSP MP burrs. I use RDT and grind with the metal lid on. That said, for filter grind I have at most 0.2g retention and don't need to use the bellows. For espresso grind I have <0.4g retention and use the bellows. Minimal static only at the end of espresso grind, but I use a funnel on my PF that captures everything.

silvianyc

#1032: Post by silvianyc replying to Brewzologist »

Is that 0.4g retention before use of the bellows? Do you have a sense of how much coffee is exchanged each round when you use espresso grind settings? I'm interested in a pretty similar set up to yours, but debating on waiting for the p64, major benefit seems to be low retention and variable rpm which may help me control amount of fines.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#1033: Post by Brewzologist »

<0.4gr retention after using bellows. But it brings up something I forgot to mention; I regularly switch from filter brews to espresso and back. So those retention figures are after a grinder setting change. And I've only had it for a couple weeks so there may yet be some additional burr break in.

IMO, >$1K more for a P64 is a lot to pay for variable RPM and a few 10ths of a gram less retention! 8)

EDIT: Also, I think the amount of fines produced is more a function of burr design. I got MP burrs specifically for turbo espresso shots, but it also works well for filter too.

michang5

#1034: Post by michang5 »

If it is valuable to anyone considering the Mythos declumper mod - and doesn't want to go back through the entire thread - here are photos and videos I took to document the process and results.

Process documentation:

Post-mod Grinds #1-4 showing retention and static without RDT, Grind #5 with RDT, and Grind #8 shows where I am currently without RDT:

Too long; didn't view (TL;DV) - After the mod, I'm finally really satisfied and happy with my DF64.

n3gkiwi

#1035: Post by n3gkiwi »

Appreciate the info on the declumper/retention mods. Going to remove the declumper and try the tilt base as well.

(Edit: good point)

Jeff
Team HB

#1036: Post by Jeff »

(Probably a good idea for your own thread)

pj

#1037: Post by pj »

Harry
very interesting. Does it still work well ?
Have anyone try this ?

canatto

#1038: Post by canatto »

Has any DF64 grinder owners noticed how its motor handles the thrust load (or axial load) during the grinding process?

Sorry, can't help asking, I've waited too long for the pre-order to show up and to see for myself.

I'd imagine there would be certain amount of force going down the motor shaft while the beans are being crushed and ground up there, and that an axial load bearing mechanism, such as a thrust bearing, has been put in place to take this force while allowing the motor to spin freely. If there is not, would you think the bearings on the motor itself are adequate to take that axial loading without having long term issues? I would also imagine a rigid and sturdy thrust bearing is very important for the grinder to maintain an accurate and constant grind size, because it would not "give" under load as much as otherwise would when there is none. Any observations and thoughts?

Thanks a lot!

evan

#1039: Post by evan »

When you take delivery, you might wonder if there was a misunderstanding and they shipped you a wood chipper instead of a coffee grinder. It's that over built.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#1040: Post by Brewzologist »

Here's an exploded parts diagram. Doesn't appear to have any thrust bearings. But I agree it's a tank and could probably chip wood.