G-IOTA / DF64 espresso grinder - Page 102

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mwynne

#1011: Post by mwynne »

After futzing with a few different things, for now I've settled on adding a better dial indicator and the DIY mythos style clump crusher (method 1 here https://jtt.coffee/df64), and that's it. I do RDT, but I also did that before, so no workflow change there. Oh, I also removed the portafilter holder since I grind into a few different sized containers and just hold them under the chute. I've got an anti popcorn funnel but didn't feel it improved my experience. Will probably check alignment when I'm bored one day, and still kind of want to mess about with the power switch but neither feel urgent. All other mods I have in mind are cosmetic.
LMWDP #673

cjhacker23

#1012: Post by cjhacker23 »

Right, I saw the clump crusher mod and thought that might be something I'd do as well. I RDT, so any additional static that might be caused by messing with the stock flaps I don't think would be an issue. But this would require me opening up the machine and I've been of a "if it ain't broke" mindset about the grinder thus far. I have this suspicion that some people's problems with the grinder (I'm thinking mostly of the folks on the UK forum) have stemmed from them opening it up right away and tinkering--and that if they'd just waited for the grinder and burrset to break in a bit, then those minor issues (retention or flavor defects or what have you) would have resolved themselves. But I myself am a tinkerer, and am struggling against my natural desire to "improve" the grinder. :)

mwynne

#1013: Post by mwynne »

In general I *really* don't think it needs mods, but I am also a tinkerer and just can't resist. I support tinkering, but I say it's worth giving a decent go as-is, so that you can really narrow down your personal pain points instead of just swinging for the fences.

I do think that swapping the clump crusher was worth it - at least for my workflow, beans, etc... It had the the double layer silicone flaps and I was not super thrilled with some of the consistency and amount of bellowsing I was needing. I removed the crusher entirely and it was a hot static-y mess. I could have just re-installed a single silicone flap, but it was the work of 10 minutes and a spare piece of plastic to try out the DIY declumper so I figured why not, and it's definitely the best experience our of the three iterations I've used.
LMWDP #673

cmin

#1014: Post by cmin replying to mwynne »

Which DIY declumper? I removed mine entirely (I had updated declumper) but yeah static is a mess. Was a tradeoff though as stock declumper was causing retention and more fines production. Especially towards end grinding I'm getting like dust and chaff particles all over grinder and counter, RDT not helping. And if I use the bellow into my OF and funnel it just blows more dust around and same for into cup.

Wasn't there a thin silicone some were using to try different shapes? Could swear I read that and which silicone to use but can't find it.

mwynne

#1015: Post by mwynne »

I used method 1 here https://jtt.coffee/df64#https://www.not ... 38f7d5d011

For the spacer, I had a 3D printer declumper on hand that I decided not use and cout out the middle.

Mine came with two thin silicone sheets as the declumper, I think people peel them apart and only use one layer.
LMWDP #673

mikelipino

#1016: Post by mikelipino »

Chris, this is one of the silicone mods. It's working well for me so far, much fewer grinds bellowed out and similar static as stock (i.e. fairly clean if you RDT).

Pirateisme001

#1017: Post by Pirateisme001 »

I just started using the DF64, has anyone found a filter coffee setting they like?

obfuscurity

#1018: Post by obfuscurity replying to Pirateisme001 »

My V60 setting is a 48, dialed in with Kruve sifters (700 to 1200). I've had good experience with this setting, although I generally still prefer my NZ for filter drinks.

mikelipino

#1019: Post by mikelipino »

I go a bit coarser than Jason, but it might be based on preferred V60 technique. Checking my notes after over 100 filter brews on the stock steel burrs, here's where I'm at. Note that before the burrs are seasoned, the numbers tended to be all over the place. I'm at around 10 lbs through the burrs, and the below are pretty consistent (but consistency came at around 5 lbs).

Single Pour Over / Infusion
- V60 - JH Ultimate Technique, 333 ml - 63-65
- Clever - Workshop Coffee Technique, 333 ml - 65-67

Batch
- Cone- type, e.g. Moccamaster - 500 ml - 83-87
- flat bottom, e.g. Bona Vita, Oxo 8-cup - 500 ml - 65-67

Ranges are what's typical for light through medium roasts.

obfuscurity

#1020: Post by obfuscurity »

Sorry, I forgot to mention I'm on the SSP Unimodal burrs.