FYI: Kinu pourover burr fits the original LIDO 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#1: Post by baldheadracing »

One of the issues that I had with my Lido 2 - the original, with Italmill burrs, not the current Lidos with Etzinger burrs - was that the handle was just a little too short for my arm strength. Lighter roasts were a bit too hard for me to crank comfortably. As a result, my Lido 2 was spending most of its time in a drawer. I would have tried a swap to the Etzinger burrs used in current Lidos, but OE's website says that swap won't work.

Now, as pictures have previously been posted here showing the Italmill Lido 2 and the regular Kinu M47 burrs were pretty much identical, I thought that I'd see if the new Kinu pourover centre burr would fit in the original Lido2, and how it would work.

As expected, the Kinu burr fits and works. The grind effort seems to be greatly reduced (and grind speed decreased), but I didn't equalize grind size or extraction yield; I just kept the same burr spacing. As for grind quality - I've made a few cups, but I need to do an alignment, cleaning, seasoning, calibration, etc., before saying anything. However, I expect the differences to be similar to what people are experiencing with the Kinu ( Kinu M47 Pourover Burr )

Just something to consider if your old Lido 2 is sitting mostly unused for the same reason.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Advertisement
Bunkmil

#2: Post by Bunkmil »

Wow! I actually just put my old Lido 2 for sell yesterday.

Now I am seriously considering to keep it and try those pourover Kinu burrs.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#3: Post by jbviau »

Craig, can we get some pics, please? Sounds interesting, though personally I like the original aggressive burr on my Lido 2.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

baldheadracing (original poster)
Team HB

#4: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) replying to jbviau »

I also like the burr/grind/cup of the original burr. I did fool around a bit with trying to get a longer crank on the Lido 2 handle using the 3d-printed drill adapter mod. This worked, but making a longer handle fell way down in my coffee-project priorities.

The Kinu burr looked to be a simpler solution. I made the assumption that the similarly-shaped but less aggressive burr would have less sideways load on the axle than the original. Newer Lido's eventually added a third bearing, and IIRC that had to do with adapting the Lido 2+ to the Etzinger burr.

For pics (posted by others):
- Lido 2 vs. M47 inner burrs
- Kinu regular inner burr vs. pourover (pourover is coated black); here and here.

I'll happy to take pics this weekend. What would you like to see?

Yan

#5: Post by Yan »

Those italmill burr chewing beans very aggressive & fast in M47 compare to the pour over burr replacement...
Everyday I teach my mindset to believe the Pour-over Burr are better in the cups so I won't have any guilty feeling.... :D

chuckcoffee

#6: Post by chuckcoffee »

Craig - Nice

Be interested to hear what this does for you in the cup :D

Team HB

#7: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) replying to chuckcoffee »

After a couple months of regular use, I'm impressed.

The burrs seem to be broken in now, and I've been comparing it to my other grinders. My experience has been that different coffees taste, well, different with different grinders. I find it really hard to dis-entangle the grinder effect from all the other factors of brewing. For example, dialing in to equalize TDS/EY doesn't necessarily give the best-tasting cup that a particular grinder can produce for that coffee.

So ... anecdotally and biased: For the coffees that I used for comparison and a conventional (fine) V60 grind, this grinder and the OE Apex give the best cups among my hand grinders. Which I will prefer seems to depend on the coffee. In comparison to my electric grinders, this grinder and the Apex fit above the Alicorn(steel burrs) and below the R-440 (ghost burrs). YMMV.

Advertisement
Yan

#8: Post by Yan »

baldheadracing wrote:After a couple months of regular use, I'm impressed.

The burrs seem to be broken in now, and I've been comparing it to my other grinders. My experience has been that different coffees taste, well, different with different grinders. I find it really hard to dis-entangle the grinder effect from all the other factors of brewing. For example, dialing in to equalize TDS/EY doesn't necessarily give the best-tasting cup that a particular grinder can produce for that coffee.
Craig,
Are there any distinctive taste/character in the cups from original Lido 2 to Kinu Pour-over Grinder?
Based on my experience in M47 less body/mouthfeel and sweetness...
Thanks

Team HB

#9: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) replying to Yan »

I can't say, as I hadn't used the Italmill burrs for light roasts. On the other side, I haven't tried the pourover burr on medium roasts. I always thought that the Lido2/Italmill did pretty well on medium roasts and for espresso, though.

ETA: I can't say that the pourover burr in the Lido2 is going to have the exact same taste effect as in the M47. As I don't have an M47 in front of me, I can only guess which burr Kinu are using based on the Italmill catalog ... and Kinu could have asked for customization. (OE published their burr drawings.) Based on my assumptions on which burrs were used in the Kinu, the Lido2's outer burr is just a bit shorter (19.9mm vs Lido2's 19.75mm), and the inner burr is just a bit wider (31.6mm vs. Lido2's 31.7mm).

Yan

#10: Post by Yan replying to baldheadracing »

Thanks for the info, I'm just curious cause if there is some improvement in taste maybe other members can change their inner burr...