Fuji Royal R-220 grinder review.

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
bustelo12

#1: Post by bustelo12 » Dec 02, 2019, 10:45 am

The R-220 can be ordered in two different models:
Mirukko DX [Standard] is meant for drip or coarse grind.
Mortar cut version is for espresso.
Both are available on Amazon or Ebay as well as rakuten.com
I have read that it's possible to buy separate, stand alone Mortar cut or Standard teeth, which would allow the same R-220 to grind from espresso to french press by just swapping out the "teeth", but have not found the teeth online.

I purchased the Mirukko DX [Standard]. I don't have an espresso machine. I brew coffee.

I was initially intimidated by the Japanese only instruction pamphlet, but quickly found the R-220 to be intuitive and easy to use.
Several videos are available on youtube in Japanese which show how to operate, clean and calibrate the R-220. Easy to follow even without English.

Out of the box without any modifications or recalibration, I had the best results grinding at setting 9 (dial settings are 1-10) which produced a nice medium coarse grind and produced a flavorful balanced brew using my Bonavita ceramic immersion dripper. Much better than my old Ariete-Delonghi grinder which became unreliable and probably needed a burr adjustment or replacement.

The R-220 is a very substantial machine, heavy, and does not vibrate or move when grinding. It is built like a tank and I expect it will last a lifetime.

The "ghost teeth" are grinding surfaces which are unlike most popular grinders and sit in a vertical position. There are other posts on HB that have pictures of the grinding surfaces.

Retention is very good: 30 grams of beans in. 29.5 - 30 grams of grounds out.

The grounds are very uniform. I found only a tiny amount of fines sitting atop the mound of grounds in the grind cup.

Cleaning is a breeze. A few fines cling to the lip of the exit chute and are easily brushed off onto a dish towel I place under the chute. With such little retention, I don't open up the machine to clean the ghost teeth. Nevertheless, before grinding for my morning brew, I do use a shop vac on the top and bottom chutes, and grind a few beans which I discard.

The footprint is tiny. About half the footprint of the typical basic drip coffee maker (think Mr. Coffee), and about the same height, easily fitting under my kitchen cabinet.

I paid $630 on Ebay which includes shipping from Japan and tax. Roughly $130 more than the Baratza Vario and hundreds less than the Baratza Forte BG.
Additional expense is a necessary transformer (model VCT VT-500J) available on Amazon for $40. I also ditched the R-220 plastic grind cup for a stainless cup on Amazon I bought for a few dollars.

I am impressed by the thoughtful design and engineering that went into the R-220. Very pleased with the brewed coffee produced. :D

ripvanmd

#2: Post by ripvanmd » Dec 02, 2019, 10:52 pm

I think you'll love this grinder for those purposes. I would definitely calibrate the grinder per the instructions that you mentioned. I was initially confused as I assumed the grinder marker was on the top but really it's at the six o'clock position. A bit tough to see. It's gotten better as I've broken it in through general daily use (rather than running a lot of throwaway coffee through it).