Frustrated with mess from Baratza Sette 270wi - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
babalu120483

#31: Post by babalu120483 »

+1 - Also, if you have a copy of the actual file that would be great. The link in the thread above is not working.

Thanks!
Jjsaustin wrote:Looks good...

What was the price?

CaptainCowpie

#32: Post by CaptainCowpie »

I used the link that was given above and downloaded the file

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3242630/files

Then I went to ShapeWays.com, uploaded the file and entered the information with a plastic option. It came out to $32.78. Shipping and tax brought it up to $42.56. I am considering ordering one.

maximatica

#33: Post by maximatica replying to CaptainCowpie »

I have used Shapeways for other small items and their quality is superior to the FFF type 3D printing.

They used a laser-based system and you do not have the layers in the surface you see in most 3D prints.

The finish is better.

Just a heads-up.

After I used SW for a while I had a business justification for buying a fairly high-end 3D printer and did so assuming that the field had matured since I had first seen 3D printing shown at a MakerFaire circa 2002 or so.

But unless you spend *a lot* of money and get a very high-end machine ($5,000+) you will not be getting any usable prints for a while (perhaps a long while).

The field is still at the hobbyist level unless you dive in real deep. I can now get decent prints but it took many months to get things sorted. It is not plug&play.

Just pointing the above out as the $45 or so can seem expensive but in the big scheme of things, it really isn't.

(I printed out the model myself and for most E61 portafilters the fit is good. On my Breville Dual Boiler, the portafilter has thinner walls and the fit was not good. So, I had to print it a 2nd time after adjusting the overall print sizing by about 3-4%.)

HTH.

Max./

pcrussell50

#34: Post by pcrussell50 »

Ferrariandcoffee wrote:I returned a Sette I had sometime ago thinking retention was near zero but.... it was clogged with that much more retention than my modded Vario
I don't have a Sette and never have, (I like fine grinds and light roasts), but this ^^^ matches my Vario experience. With the Vario flapper flipped out of the way AND RDT, retention is just about zero. Without RDT (and I can't imagine why one would not RDT), retention is about 0.1-0.3g depending on the bean. Right in line with the Monoliths and most other low retention designs.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

winslette

#35: Post by winslette »

CaptainCowpie wrote:I used the link that was given above and downloaded the file

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3242630/files

Then I went to ShapeWays.com, uploaded the file and entered the information with a plastic option. It came out to $32.78. Shipping and tax brought it up to $42.56. I am considering ordering one.
If you feel like experimenting, I can print you one for shipping. If you find layer quality unacceptable you can order from shapeways.

CaptainCowpie

#36: Post by CaptainCowpie »

Winslette graciously printed one of these for me. However, I couldn't get it to fit in the Sette with my Breville naked portafilter for the Dual Boiler. It is about 1/8" or so too high in the back and won't fit under the portafilter holder.

I am going to try sanding it down with a Dremel to see if it helps. It looks like it will work great once I get it to fit.