Frustrated with mess from Baratza Sette 270wi - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
slipchuck

#11: Post by slipchuck »

Nunas wrote:I don't get it; this complaint comes up now and again. Yet, I've got a 7-270Wi and it does not make mach of a mess at all, unless I over dose the basket. I do put a small microfibre cloth down over the base and under the portafilter to catch the few grains that do fall off. If I'm not attentive, when I pull the portafilter out too quickly I can loose a little bit more overboard. I dose anywhere from 15 to 16.5 grams, depending on the beans, into a standard doppio basket. Tamped, this results in the correct head space. When I'm done I just shake the cloth into the sink. But a "huge mess"...never!
Putting grinds in the sink will eventually clog it..
Trust me I know :D

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by Nunas »

Putting grinds in the sink will eventually clog it.
If you are talking bout spent grounds, then I agree completely. Many years ago some idiot wrote in the newspaper that dumping spent coffee grounds down the sink would keep the drains clean. Another idiot (me) did so and eventually had to take the trap off to clear the resultant clog. But, that was not at all what I suggested here. I'm talking about a few, dry, errant grinds from the grinder, possibly a tenth of a gram. I've been sending them down the sink for years with impunity. My coffee bar sink runs free and clear and the only time I took the trap off (dropped a screw down the cursed drain), there was two tenths of nothing at all accumulated there. I only use the sink because I did not bother to install a refuse container in my coffee bar. In any case, the suggestion to catch the errant grinds from a grinder on a microfibre cloth still stands. How to dispose of them can remain debatable :lol:

Advertisement
speakerdesign

#13: Post by speakerdesign »

I have a 270wi and I had a bit of a mess because I fill my baskets pretty full. I found a 6mm tall funnel that fits under the hook, though I had to re-adjust it for the additional height. The weight function still works and the mess is gone. I bought the funnel used off this board and I can't remember the funnel manufacturer.

jchung

#14: Post by jchung »

Maybe this 3D model of a funnel for the 270wi will help? https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3242630

If you have a FWA3DP or you can use one of the online 3D printing services.

Samcanadian

#15: Post by Samcanadian »

I've never even bothered with the PF holder with the 270w. It's ultra dry here in the winter, and the static effect is impossible to deal with. I've always single dosed, right from day one, directly into the cup and haven't had any issues. I still use the WDT but don't bother with the cone...I've just gotten good enough to do it with minimal spillage. Good enough for my needs, anyway :D

shanewiebeftr

#16: Post by shanewiebeftr »

I ran out of coffee once and my wife brought home some charbucks beans. I used them the next morning and I'd be surprised if 10g made it into the portafilter. It was a mess. Spraying coffee grounds everywhere. I have not had this issue with any lighter roasted coffee unless it's super old. Like 4-5 months off roast.

lloydalvarez
Supporter

#17: Post by lloydalvarez »

I consider my 270wi one of the cleanest, neatest grinders I've ever owned. I would contact Baratza for support, they have excellent support and this is definitely not normal. And you should not require a funnel either.

Advertisement
yakster
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by yakster »

I'd RDT, darker roasts are more prone to static issues.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

lloydalvarez
Supporter

#19: Post by lloydalvarez replying to yakster »

Ah, could be, I've only ground medium or lighter roasts so that's what i based my previous answer on.

Ferrariandcoffee

#20: Post by Ferrariandcoffee »

Sette is super overrated and overhyped

Get a Vario or niche zero