Flying Eagle CM300AU - A Fuji Royale variant - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
SlowRain

#11: Post by SlowRain »

These grinders come with your choice of burrs right from the factory. I may be wrong, but I think the 300AU has three choices and the 600N has the option to put in the "ghost burrs" as an aftermarket purchase (or just buy the 610N right from the store). For all I know, it may have three choices, too, as these companies do whatever the other one does. It's hard to know which one had the idea first.

It's really just a matter of buying the burrs and putting them in. You'll have to wait for Hank to give you more specifics, though.

hankua
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by hankua »

Coffee&Bearclaws wrote:Hankua, what do you mean by "upgrading burrs" - how would I begin to research/find such burrs (generally speaking- as you don't know specifically about the Eagle). And in what context are you "upgrading"? Particle size distribution? Flavor?
What I mean is if the grinder came with an inexpensive set of Taiwanese flat burrs, there are European burrs available, and the hybrid ghost burrs supplied with the 610n variant. Can the Yang-Chia burrs fit the You-Wei 300au, can't answer that question? We have quite a few Taiwanese member on HB who could might know and if it's worthwhile.

(610n burrs)

If the grinder is fairly consistent in the pour-over/drip/aeropress range; I'd use it as is for the time being.

Advertisement
Coffee&Bearclaws (original poster)

#13: Post by Coffee&Bearclaws (original poster) »

After deconstructing my grinder I have found that the burrs are in fact 60mm (diameter) and 8mm (thick) , so if the 610 burrs are in fact 8mm (thick), then the cut/ghost hybrid burrs probably will infact fit.

I may with this knowledge try to buy a few other burrs and swap them out

#14: Post by Coffee&Bearclaws (original poster) »

This may seem like a dumb question, but how do I tell the difference between hardened steel and cast iron?

Edited: Hankua, how do you like/remember liking the 610N burrs?

hankua
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by hankua »

It took some digging, finally found the grinder in my photo album; here's what the burrs looked like so it's easy to see the difference between the fully machined burrs you have and the less expensive cast versions.

My wife bought the 610n Tiamo version as it is available in yellow, from PChome. I'm pretty happy with it overall, it's probably very similar to yours; quiet, neat, grinds fast, good price, easy to take apart, etc. I added a stainless pitcher as the grounds bin or a stainless cocktail shaker the right size would also work.

#16: Post by Coffee&Bearclaws (original poster) »

Wow, there is a big difference, Great photo!

For future reference, taking apart the grinder was a breeze (many videos for reference, no need to understand the language just watch). Additionally, the screws on the burr (at least the one that comes out) are M4 x 10mm flat head (they are a little weak screws may replace with 304 stainless)

hankua
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by hankua »

Like SlowRain mentioned, the smaller Flying Eagle/Horse grinders are available with different burr sets; and I ended up with the lower end variety. I also picked up the larger ghost burr CM-520 for bulk grinding and is excellent for one pound batches. There's no internal fan in the 520, the next one in the lineup has a larger motor and fan for extended use.

Advertisement
Unrooted

#18: Post by Unrooted »

I can't seem to find the exact grinders you guys have, but I have found several of the "flying horse" style grinders on Aliexpress, do you guys have a recomended seller? I'd prefer one with the ghost burrset. . . but have yet to find one with that setup.

#19: Post by Coffee&Bearclaws (original poster) »

As memory serves, 600N (has the cutting burrs)/610N (has the 'ghost' hybrid burrs). These grinders you can find them at

http://www.feima.com.tw/index.php?route ... ry&path=60

The 300AU* can be found at

http://www.you-wei.com/e/e-product01.htm

*You maybe able to ask the seller if they can swap the burrs for the 'ghost' variety.
** Contacting the sellers, I for sure know that you-wei can reply in English and I cannot remember about feima. Either way using Google translate (as long as you then translate your Mandarin back to English and the reverse translation makes sense) you should be fine.

Unrooted

#20: Post by Unrooted replying to Coffee&Bearclaws »

Tyler: thanks for the links! Searching Aliexpress I found only 1 grinder that appears to have ghost teeth and is 110v, do you have an initial impression on this machine?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/XEOLEO- ... autifyAB=0