First serious review of Eureka Oro Single Dose and it's a bummer - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
malling

#21: Post by malling »

Giampiero wrote:Anyway, to be honest, for me the only real annoying thing is the very thigh tolerance of the bean hopper lid and, if confirmed by others, the loose bellows, the rest IMHO seems just a consequence of the disassembling/reassembling of the grinder itself, or regarding the dial matter, it's only a non well assembled grinder, moreover, after the Eureka Marketing campaign, people were probably expecting a first super positive review.
The best part of the video is for me the wood sticks wrapped with tape squeezed between the motor and the body to reduce the vibration of a motor that is coupled with 4 silent block, that are there to avoid the motor to transfer vibration to the body...i'm not an engineer so i probably missed something.
It's probable poorly assembled and that would hardly be the first time a Italian manufacturer is sluggish in the assembly line, as QC is none existing it's never caught in the QC that should be there, so people get these duds.

It's not the first time I heard about loose dial really, it's common enough, I don't think the actual test the grinder they send out can work for coarser grinding, not that I would ever want to use any of them for that, this is probably the single worst design for that, well that and the collar adjustment of Mazzer. this like most Eureka is first and foremost Single use that you then can use for other brewing methods on occasions if you so desire (You would be better off with a Commandante for brewed), also these type of burrs is rarely great at it anyway, at the bare minimum you would need to install SSP if there where actually some you could use.

Do any really expect high quality hoppers? These are always cheap horrible breakable things, but this was really on a whole new level of horrible, making a wood that cheap and thin will just give a mountain of complaining, some will certainly be tight others big. probably depends on what time of year these are made them :lol:

What we saw was QC issues

cengland117

#22: Post by cengland117 »

karamba wrote:If you do not mind what was wrong with the Atom or Niche so you got this one? I am asking as I did not want to risk buying the first batch ( probably ungrounded) and placed the order for Atom 75 instead.
The Atom 75 is excellent if you buy a kilo of beans at a time and don't chop and change too much. I wouldn't recommend single dosing with it, it's not designed for it. I wanted to give single dosing a go again and I always found shots from the niche a little muddy.

crwper

#23: Post by crwper »

Randy G. wrote:I would like to see some detail about how the top, adjustable burr moves. He did not go into any such detail, by I raised an eyebrow when I saw just the one spring, off to the side, in charge of holding the top burr in adjustment and alignment. Are there other springs in there somewhere?
Here's what the mechanism looks like on my Specialita:

Very similar to what I saw in the video. The adjustment knob moves the rod on the right, which pulls/pushes the right side of the lever on the bottom. At the middle of the lever, there is a small "ball" on the base of the motor which gets pushed up/down. The lower burr is attached to this. As others have said, the upper burr is attached to the frame. So it's a single knob to adjust, but it's actually quite a well-balanced mechanism.
★ Helpful

karamba (original poster)

#24: Post by karamba (original poster) »

cengland117 wrote:The Atom 75 is excellent if you buy a kilo of beans at a time and don't chop and change too much. I wouldn't recommend single dosing with it, it's not designed for it. I wanted to give single dosing a go again and I always found shots from the niche a little muddy.
I am going to miss my Sette with weight function. There is no such thing as single dosing with it. It handles anything you throw into it equally well. Grab a handful of beans from a jar, put into the grinder or fill the hopper to the lid and it does the rest with unmatched precision.
If only it was made a bit more sturdy !

Jonk

#25: Post by Jonk »

I think the issues look real, but one positive aspect is that there were no complaints about the single dosing. If it works well without the bellows then it seems like a good alternative for espresso in its current state - otherwise let's hope they fix the bellows/hopper.

Giampiero

#26: Post by Giampiero »

Not to justify the wood lid "issue", but why supply a plastic lid and a wood lid?
Maybe the wood lid is intended to be used "only" above the rubber bellows?

boren

#27: Post by boren »

karamba wrote:I am going to miss my Sette with weight function. There is no such thing as single dosing with it. It handles anything you throw into it equally well. Grab a handful of beans from a jar, put into the grinder or fill the hopper to the lid and it does the rest with unmatched precision.
If only it was made a bit more sturdy !
I single dose with my Sette 270Wi maybe 90% of the time (except when hosting) and I couldn't be happier. Just add 0.5 gram to your intended dose to avoid popcorning completely and purge that before the next shot. In other words, if you need a 12 gram dose, put in 12.5 gram of beans and let the grinder automatic scale grind 12.0 gram.

malling

#28: Post by malling »

There are other videos out that show the hopper issues, they don't necessarily say it but it's clear that the fit is way too tight both on the wood lid as well as the metal slider/door. The hopper also not seem to be a very precise or good fit. But at least it's just the hopper, it's not really the most important part and most manufacturers do the bare minimum with this, but the parts do look rather flimsy but that isn't all that surprising as that is just how it is with all the other Eureka grinders especially in the lower end.

It will be interesting to see if others get the same adjustment issue, not surprised if they do, it really depends on if Eureka set the lowest to locking the burrs or touch, but redo it, is really a massive annoyance I really wished more did an approach as Fellow did where it's easy and straightforward.

Jonk

#29: Post by Jonk »

There were complaints about the adjustment for filter in some of the previews as well. One (vendor I think) said it was not recommended for filter and it makes sense - perhaps it's not a concern Eureka had if they think of it as an espresso grinder. I mean that's really what the Niche is in my book as well..

For those that own one of these: a video of some espresso and filter grinding would be helpful :)

K7

#30: Post by K7 »

A good video comparing grinding noise between the Oro SD and Niche Zero. Recording was done at high gain so both grinders are kinda loud on my computer, but I would say the Oro SD is fine. I also never liked NZ's crunchy noise compared to Mignons' relatively smoother noise.