First clean EVER of 2009 Mazzer Mini Manual!!

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
JaBK

#1: Post by JaBK »

This may shock some here, but I have had my Mini for 15 years without ever opening up to deep clean the grinding chamber!
My usual coffee tech has always adviced against disassembly as a DYI project, I think mostly because customers have killed the threading when re-assembling after cleaning. In stead, I was told to run Grindz once in a while and leave well enough alone...

However, to get a good shot, I am now up to grinding 21g in 45 seconds for approx 40-50g of espresso. I use a 20g VST basket.

The grind has been getting slower over the years, I think...
The Mazzer Mini (220 volts, 250 WATTS) is rated for maximum run time of 50 seconds, so I was worried that I would soon be past the point of having time to actually grind enough coffee for a drinkable shot!

Hence, I finally let curiosity (and reading a lot of HB posts about burr removal and cleaning) win over my tech's advice and my own fear of failure. I f***ing managed to take the thing apart and have a look.
This is what 15 years of build up looks like!!
I was actually impressed that it wasn't THAT GROSS all in all...

JaBK (original poster)

#2: Post by JaBK (original poster) »

JaBK (original poster)

#3: Post by JaBK (original poster) »

... I mean, no rancid smell. Not much residue on the cutting surfaces.

However, cleaning everything out and reassembling did not solve my primary issue:
I even checked burr alignment by the "marker method" and added a couple of alu foil shims to the top burr. But:

Grind time is the same. Really slow.
Shots are somewhat inconsistent, and while I do find some more clarity in taste, it's not significantly better than before cleaning!

My burrs do seem to be at the end of their life span. Cutting edges look dull to me (not an expert!!), they feel "sharp" but not "knife edge sharp".

JaBK (original poster)

#4: Post by JaBK (original poster) »

Where do I go from here?
- Am I right that these burrs are done/worn-out?
- Do I just put in a new set of stock 58 mm Mazzer burrs?
- Or, should I spend the money to either
A) buy a set of SSP 58mm Red Speeds
B) spend about the same to upgrade burr carriers and fit a set of Mazzer 233M (maybe 33M) 64mm burrs?

There are threads about these upgrades around the forum, but I can't figure out how to link to them properly... Sorry!

bostonbuzz

#5: Post by bostonbuzz »

45s to grind means yours are totally worn out (I mean it can get to the point where they don't grind anymore if it's a cafe and they don't get changed for 30 years...). Any burrs will be an improvement in grind time and in the cup. Change to different burr designs if you want to change taste and/or you have trouble extracting lighter roasts otherwise I'd stick to the cheaper mazzers which aren't any worse than the 3rd party burrs at medium + roasts.
LMWDP #353

espressotime

#6: Post by espressotime »

JaBK wrote:This may shock some here, but I have had my Mini for 15 years without ever opening up to deep clean the grinding chamber!
My usual coffee tech has always adviced against disassembly as a DYI project, I think mostly because customers have killed the threading when re-assembling after cleaning. In stead, I was told to run Grindz once in a while and leave well enough alone...

However, to get a good shot, I am now up to grinding 21g in 45 seconds for approx 40-50g of espresso. I use a 20g VST basket.

The grind has been getting slower over the years, I think...
The Mazzer Mini (220 volts, 250 WATTS) is rated for maximum run time of 50 seconds, so I was worried that I would soon be past the point of having time to actually grind enough coffee for a drinkable shot!

Hence, I finally let curiosity (and reading a lot of HB posts about burr removal and cleaning) win over my tech's advice and my own fear of failure. I f***ing managed to take the thing apart and have a look.
This is what 15 years of build up looks like!!
I was actually impressed that it wasn't THAT GROSS all in all...
To me thats gross.Nasty.
Why don't you clean your gear?
That's the woest I have ever seen.I've had Mazzer forover 15 years.
Burr cleaning and chamber cleaning was a monthly job.

JaBK (original poster)

#7: Post by JaBK (original poster) »

I totally understand where you are coming from. As I wrote, I was explicitly advised to keep away from the inside of the grinder. To not risk messing up the mechanics/carrier threads.

Now that I know how to do it, I fully intend to make it a habit.

On the other hand, burr wear seems to be a bigger problem on this time scale.
No rancidity (which would really smell), and no real improvement (with the same burr, of course) after cleaning.

I am sure that a lot of homes have grinders sitting on kitchen countertops that have not been taken apart. There are other stories similar to mine on this very forum.

I am sorry, if my pictures ruined your day. I have been happy with my grinder. I actually think that it speaks to the Minis design, that is very robust and unfussy.

I have had the grinder for a long time. But, in many ways I consider myself less experienced in espresso than most members of this forum. More of a casual coffee enthusiast than the level of hobbyist that most here seem to be...

espressotime

#8: Post by espressotime replying to JaBK »

Didn't ruin my day at all. :mrgreen:
Just surprised to see this. That's all. Your gear. Tread it as you like.

Mazzers are sturdy and simple.

The threads are pretty fine. Just be carefull when installing the upper burr carrier.
Your vendor didn't give you good advice at all.

malling

#9: Post by malling »

Letting the grinder thread and burr carrier cake with grinds is probably worse and more harmful then taking it apart.

This is a stark reminder of why you should take it apart, while monthly is a bit excessive it should definitely be done routinely.

I come to the conclusion that every 3 month is frequently enough on SD. But it dos depend on the roast level. Last time I did 3 months after there where like 0.5-0.7g total retention, so really I could probably make due with a half yearly cleaning.

But doing hopper and darker roast this dos result in more grinds retention and grinds buildup, so in that case you might want to do it more frequently.

JaBK (original poster)

#10: Post by JaBK (original poster) »

Hi Malling, We're both in Denmark, I think! :D

We tend to go long periods with the same coffee, depending on availability.
Single origins from roasters like La Cabra, Coffee Collective or Stillers Coffee. Usually "espresso" version of their coffees, which are still quite light roast.