Fiorenzato F4E Nano replacement burrs - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
redbone

#31: Post by redbone »

^
^^
Any idea on price differences between the Italmill and SSP ?

Can you provide some examples of grind time between 58mm vs 64mm burrs ?
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Peter_SVK

#32: Post by Peter_SVK »

I think prices were already discussed, 64mm ItalMill F.F. ca. 34 eur + shipment, 64mm SSP standard USD 170.00 incl. shipment, SSP RedSpeed USD 220.00 incl. sh.

The same coffee: stock 58mm burrs ca. 9.0g in 9.4s (sometimes also 10.0g in 9.5s, depends on temperature, humidity?), 64mm ItalMill 9.7g in 5.5s.

redbone

#33: Post by redbone replying to Peter_SVK »

That is a dramatic decrease in time, almost 50% for grinding 64mm burrs that are only 10.34% large than the 58mm burrs. Thanks again Peter.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Peter_SVK

#34: Post by Peter_SVK »

Not only size matters, but also the burr sharpness (maybe even more important). Mahlkonig K30 65mm burrs are very very sharp (and aggressive too), so they are as fast as competitors 80+ mm burrs. That's why SSP burrs are also a solution. ItalMill are also sharp in finger heel test, however there are noticeable dents on the edges from the careless manufacturing process, I think.

Bacek

#35: Post by Bacek »

And what about Mazzer Lux 61mm burrs? Do you think they could fit without any changes?

external ø 61 mm - internal ø 37 mm
thickness 8.4 mm - 3 mounting holes
mounting ø 45mm

Peter_SVK

#36: Post by Peter_SVK »

I'm 99.9% sure they will fit - F4E allows max. 61.5mm OD burrs; PCD of mounting holes is 45 mm, so 45.9mm PCD Mazzer Lux burrs would fit too (0.45mm difference in radius will be compensate by 0.5mm space around M4 bolt is 5mm hole). The only unknown is ID of Lux burr flange (should be >= 52 mm to fit F4E).

Bacek

#37: Post by Bacek »

Yesterday I bought used (1.5 year) F4E for less then half price so have some budget for mods and I'm tempted to try this upgrade. It should fill some void spaces and be better base for single dosing.

Peter_SVK

#38: Post by Peter_SVK »

Definitely yes. However F4E is not very good for single dosing unless you blow out the rest of the coffee. Chute from the grinding chamber traps itself ca. 4.5g of coffee (light roast). Plus remaining coffee in the grinding chamber.

Peter_SVK

#39: Post by Peter_SVK »

Peter_SVK wrote:I'm 99.9% sure they will fit - F4E allows max. 61.5mm OD burrs; PCD of mounting holes is 45 mm, so 45.9mm PCD Mazzer Lux burrs would fit too (0.45mm difference in radius will be compensate by 0.5mm space around M4 bolt is 5mm hole). The only unknown is ID of Lux burr flange (should be >= 52 mm to fit F4E).
I have to change my statement above: I've checked the lower burr carrier only (above) and totally forgot to check also upper burr carrier, I've did so now - upper burr carrier allows max 60.0mm OD burr to fit without modification. Mazzer Lux will not fit.

Bacek

#40: Post by Bacek »

Ok, thank. So looks like there is no sense to modify/lathe upper carrier for 61mm. 64mm mod (with lower carrier) would make more sense.

I blew some air from top and got 2.12g of coffee (espresso rost but not too dark).