Fiorenzato F4 E Nano observations

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
redbone

Postby redbone » Dec 31, 2017, 12:23 pm

Having now dialed in my new Fiorenzato F4 E Nano I can comfortably make some observations.
The Fiorenzato doserless F4 E has stepless adjustment, two programable levels and a manual button.

Pro:
*Like a professional small athlete who scores way above their stature; this 58mm flat grinder performs well above its size in the cup. The F4 E tastes better than my previous 64mm older e37 Ceado. Other factors maybe at play here.
It's eliminating the negative notes and allowing the more positive notes to standout compared to my 42mm conical or previous e37.

*Power switch feels very robust.
*All aluminum body with very good sound detoning. This weighs 11kg,
*No clumping and uniform grinds.
*Once learned controls are easy to navigate. Could be a bit more intuitive.
*Short hopper with shutoff.
*Good sized power cord both gauge and length.
*Large stainless catch tray.

Negative:
*There is no arrow or similar to align the number or increments to. May not be an issue for some. I would have liked to see a arrow or similar.
*The ring adjustment requires both hands to comfortably move since it's tight. This can be a positive as it greatly minimizes floating settings. Ring could also have more detailed markings.
*Have a feeling Fiorenzato sacrificed speed for grind quality as this takes near double the time for the same dose as the 64mm Ceado. A non issue for most in my home setting as we are talking 13.5 vs 7 seconds, really just seconds for my typical 2 double shots usage routine.
*Footprint could be smaller as this body looks like it could accommodate larger burrs.
*Ideally would be nice to be able to remove burrs and reassemble without loosing previous settings. As far as I know only Eureka and Ceado are currently designed this way.
*Nit-picky but would have liked a l.e.d. light shining on basket during grinding.

Overall no buyer remorse. For under $600 usd nothing comes close in build quality or grind quality that I've seen or tested.

*I had the opportunity to spend quality time at IDC with the owner, testing grinders prior to purchase. There are advantages to hands on decision making vs merely looking at specs.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

rockethead26

Postby rockethead26 » Jan 01, 2018, 1:27 am

I agree with everything you say, except the need for a light on the portafilter. I guess maybe your grinder is in a darker area. As to the pointer, I just cut a small long triangle of electricians tape and stuck one on, but it would have been easier for Fiorenzato to just mold one into the housing. I've had mine now over two years and it's consistent, makes very little mess, no clumping and no static, and is easy to single dose. Overall, it is a real bargain.

redbone wrote:Having now dialed in my new Fiorenzato F4 E Nano I can comfortably make some observations.
The Fiorenzato doserless F4 E has stepless adjustment, two programable levels and a manual button.

Pro:
*Like a professional small athlete who scores way above their stature; this 58mm flat grinder performs well above its size in the cup. The F4 E tastes better than my previous 64mm older e37 Ceado. Other factors maybe at play here.
It's eliminating the negative notes and allowing the more positive notes to standout compared to my 42mm conical or previous e37.

*Power switch feels very robust.
*All aluminum body with very good sound detoning. This weighs 11kg,
*No clumping and uniform grinds.
*Once learned controls are easy to navigate. Could be a bit more intuitive.
*Short hopper with shutoff.
*Good size power cord.
*Large stainless catch tray.

Negative:
*There is no arrow or similar to align the number or increments to. May not be an issue for some. I would have liked to see a arrow or similar.
*The ring adjustment requires both hands to comfortably move since it's tight. This can be a positive as it greatly minimizes floating settings.
*Have a feeling Fiorenzato sacrificed speed for grind quality as this takes near double the time for the same dose as the 64mm Ceado. A non issue for most in my home setting as we are talking 13.5 vs 7 seconds, really just seconds for my typical 2 double shots usage routine.
*Footprint could be smaller as this body looks like it could accommodate larger burrs.
*Ideally would be nice to be able to remove burrs and reassemble without loosing previous settings. As far as I know only Eureka and Ceado are currently designed this way.
*Nit-picky but would have liked a l.e.d. light shining on basket during grinding.

Overall no buyer remorse. For under $600 usd nothing comes close in build quality or grind quality that I've seen or tested.

*I had the opportunity to spend quality time at IDC with the owner, testing grinders prior to purchase. There are advantages to hands on decision making vs merely looking at specs.

redbone

Postby redbone » Jan 01, 2018, 2:15 am

Jim, good to hear from someone who has had the grinder for a few years.
The light issue is my issue since the machine backs onto a window which can be blinding.

The F4 uses a Bremas on/off switch. I believe this is an American company.

http://bremasamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/cam_switches_CA_series.pdf

Also uses CapSense technology from Cypress Semiconductor Corp. San Jose, CA.

http://www.cypress.com/products/touch-sensing-capsense
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Gareth55

Postby Gareth55 » Jan 09, 2018, 12:22 pm

Hi All - I just ordered one of these grinders as I found a good deal on one of the V1 grinders here in Canada ($550 price reduced from $800). I currently have a Barratza Encore and a gaggia classic and felt the grinder was by and large the weakest link for now before I upgrade the espresso machine itself down the road.

After doing a lot of research I noticed that the Fiorenzato grinders are well liked however not very common. I assume I will really like this grinder however I was wondering if for the price there is a better option out there in terms of having more power and larger burrs. Size is a factor for me so can't really buy a larger used commercial machine. I have heard good things about the Ceado E5P however these arent available where I live.

slipchuck

Postby slipchuck » Jan 09, 2018, 1:34 pm

“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

redbone

Postby redbone » replying to slipchuck » Jan 09, 2018, 2:16 pm

Really can't go wrong with that price considering both the savings and other grinders at that price range. I was offered that particular one but the white didn't work for me with my setup. I opted for another deal with black case on a V2. The V2 has a colour screen with more intuitive screen as per their website, otherwise the same unit with equal results. It was the colour not the V1 as opposed to V2 that was the deciding factor.

The Fiorenzato website show a mildly revised version with a different spout on the chute and different shorter porta-filter rest.

Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Gareth55

Postby Gareth55 » Jan 09, 2018, 2:21 pm

Thanks Randy - I actually did buy the silver one from idrinkcoffee.com which was $50 more due to the colour. I was going to get the polished chrome but that was an additional $50. I cant wait to try out the grinder as I keep reading good things. I don't think I would have found a better deal on a comparable new grinder.

Peter_SVK

Postby Peter_SVK » Feb 11, 2018, 6:56 pm

I have the earlier version and did few not only aesthetic upgrades :wink: :

- Scale and arrow

- Small hopper from Compak K3

- Alternative "hopper" for "single dosing" with weight

- Portafilter holder, 1st version (for portafilter only)

- Portafilter holder, 2nd version (accepts also Tidaka funnels, but less handy then 1st version)

- Portafilter holder, 3rd version (for portafilter with 15mm Tidaka funnels)

Pictures also show how the holders are made - laser cut stainless steel 3mm parts are grinded, polished and press fit together (I used the same "key lock press fit technology" in all designs, the 1st version was still welded, but as I gradually improved my technology, I could fully omit the welding in last 2 versions :) )

rockethead26

Postby rockethead26 » Feb 12, 2018, 11:33 am

Nice job, Peter! I'd love to get hold of the scale and pointer stickers as well as that weighted single dosing hopper. I like!

Séb

Postby Séb » Feb 12, 2018, 4:16 pm

Peter....just WOW to all the mods you've done! Really nice