Fiorenzato AllGround review

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
RistrettoCapp

#1: Post by RistrettoCapp »

I just picked up an AllGround for home use - for both drip/pour-over and espresso duty.

PROS:
It grinds FAST.
Grinds are clump free and exit the shoot from the bottom, middle.. making it easy to dose into a cup or portafilter.
The machine is clean looking, solid and very well built.
The touch screen is intuitive and responsive
The power switch, or knob rather, should be on a tank and provides a satisfying CLICK when activated
The hopper is just the right size, enough for several uses but no so much it's huge or the beans are unsealed for too long
The black surface (on mine) is easy to clean
The Portafilter holder is easily adjusted with a single screw.

CONS:
The main con of this machine is that there is NO option to preset the MOKA or FILTER grinding to a specific time - as you can with the espresso - eg. for espresso you can program the single and double options for whatever time you want. Move the grind to MOKA or FILTER and it starts to get wired. On MOKA, you have to PRESS AND HOLD the touch screen to make it grind, remove your finger and grinding stops. ??? On FILTER you touch it ONCE to START, and a second time to STOP but there is no way to set, say, 10s for FILTER... ugh.

I'll mainly be using this for espresso and am extremely happy with it's grinding performance, but am a lil confused (as a UX Engineer myself) at the absolute fumble on the user experience for the other grind settings... this is a no brainer. Allow the user to preset a time for MOKA and a time for FILTER... it's lines of code... it already exists for another grind setting (espresso) and should be more than possible to implement for the others. The only thing I can think of is that they used such a small board that it lacks the memory to hold more than the espresso time settings... hence the hack job on the MOKA and FILTER grind settings.. not sure.

Anyway, overall, it's a excellent grinder and the grinding itself is phenomenal, clump-free, fluffy grinds right out of the middle od the chute.. super happy about that.

Anyone else have any experiences with the AllGround?

corffee_beanz

#2: Post by corffee_beanz »

I'm looking at this grinder to compliment my niche zero, especially with the incoming GBW version.

Are the steps small enough that dialing in hasn't been too much of an issue then? That's my only apprehension

safesurfer

#3: Post by safesurfer »

I have the new GbW version here since two weeks and the steps work pretty good, since you can place the dial also between two steps easily. The GbW works pretty precise with a maximum of 0,1g difference in 20 shots. Here in Germany this grinder costs around 1,000 Euros, which is a bargain compared to other GbW grinders like the EK65S with 65mm burrs.

Grounds are as described, fluffy, consistent and with no spraying and taste is good due to a good amount of fines that it brings. Build is very good and cleaning is easy, because the mechanism to remove the upper part of the burrs is flawless. You can remove it and put it back without loosing your last setting. Burrs are coated black with what they call Super-T and shall last up to 1.5 tons of coffee.

corffee_beanz

#4: Post by corffee_beanz replying to safesurfer »

I didn't know you could put it in between clicks, I guess that solves that. I know what my next grinder will be officially :D Thank you!

LineaMurphy

#5: Post by LineaMurphy »

Ive been waiting for some reviews of the new Sense version, debating between that and the new Atom W 75 coming soon to replace my weber key because I'm tired of SD workflow. The AG has the option for multiple brew types which is a bonus for me over the espresso only Atom, but I'm sure the Atom will be superior in pretty much every other way with a hefty price jump.

corffee_beanz

#6: Post by corffee_beanz »

I'd wager the larger burr size on the atom 75 will likely provide marginally better clarity? Both of these burrs lean more traditional/bimodal though from what I understand. IMO I think the ease of burr access/alignment/cleaning in the AG outweighs the diminishing returns of the 75 W, but this is all from a place of incessant review watching/reading and no real world experience, so take that with a grain of salt. But FWIW I've seen enough clogged eureka chutes on reddit to know how beneficial opening up the grinder and magnetic chute removal is

LineaMurphy

#7: Post by LineaMurphy »

I do believe OPs primary complain about not having a timed setting for grinding PO and Moka are resolved with the sense because it dispenses based on weight for those as well, but it did look like the amount was off by closer to .5g vs .1 with espresso.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaaOWxtbHPU

RistrettoCapp (original poster)

#8: Post by RistrettoCapp (original poster) »

Thanks for the link to the video. I'll have to check it out.

corffee_beanz

#9: Post by corffee_beanz »

Order placed! Chris Coffee has the sense on pre-order for a great price right now compared to what I've seen. Should be arriving around March with my LMLu (fingers crossed). I'm keeping the niche for random decaffs; excited to compare and provide some updates

JeffNYC

#10: Post by JeffNYC »

Dang. More new grinders to consider. This looks interesting. Thoughts on these burrs? Do SSP burrs fit, and which are similar to these?