Finishing Niche Zero oak base and legs

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
HotLava

#1: Post by HotLava »

I know some members have been oiling and finishing the oak wood on the Niche. Would you all mind posting pics and a brief description of what you did.

I want to finish mine but do not know what to use. I do not want to alter it too much. Possibly a very light sand oil or bees wax.
Joe

Haskens

#2: Post by Haskens »

A bit different from what most people are doing, but I find the black matches the accents like the logo, chute and adjustment ring nicely.

Advertisement
HotLava (original poster)

#3: Post by HotLava (original poster) »

Looks really nice. Is that just a dark wood stain?
Joe

luvmy40

#4: Post by luvmy40 »

I just waxed and polished mine with Bee's wax. It did not change the color at all, just sealed the wood added a slight shine.

#5: Post by HotLava (original poster) »

Where's the pic?
Joe

luvmy40

#6: Post by luvmy40 »

Ask, and ye shall receive!

belegnole

#7: Post by belegnole »

Mine seamed a bit rough. So I gave it a light sanding with some 120 grit, then oiled it with mineral oil. Right now it could use a cleaning and a bit more oil.

LMWDP #641

Advertisement
Haskens

#8: Post by Haskens »

HotLava wrote:Looks really nice. Is that just a dark wood stain?
No, the niche wood is oak, so it can be ebonized - you basically dissolve some steel wool in vinegar for a week and then use the solution on the oak. It reacts with tannins in the wood to blacken it. I prefer it to stain as it preserves all the other characteristics of the natural wood, just darkens it. If you do decide to do this, just make sure to sand the wood down first to remove the finish on it.

luvmy40

#9: Post by luvmy40 »

I liked HotLava's portafilter holder so much I ordered one in black. The black is more navy blue. I see a can of golss black Krylon in the near future.

I wasn't happy with the way it sat on the Niche so I made a new base platform from 1" thick oak and finished it with mineral oil this time. A little darker than the bee's wax polish. This was a good bit more work than I thought it would be as I had no way to machine the necessary bevel in the inside arc I had to do it by hand with an oscillating drum sander. It turned out better than I expected. Not perfect but good enough for government work!

#10: Post by HotLava (original poster) »

Nice! I have the same OF holder and was thinking about doing something similar. I have a very tall 40mm Motta dosing basket that will work just like that.
Joe