Filter Grinder + 64mm SSP Burrs - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
malling

#11: Post by malling »

Loreo123 wrote:*Disclaimer* it's solely about the filter coffee experience!

So, let me put it that way: :
Basically there's just a hair splitting difference between MP and Brew Burrs and put them either of them in an Fellow Ode or DF64, you'll get (not the exact) but really similar results.
Would you agree?
Because, I'm only really drinking filter coffee and I just don't want to miss out on anything big, if I don't get the Ode and just stay with a DF64 and throw these MP Burrs in it!

Thank you people! :)
The difference is slight and unless you brew espresso borderline irrelevant.

The difference is mostly there between MP/Brew, Cast and HU.

HU is mostly just for med/dark espresso, some like it for filter as well but again we are mostly in the darker roasted camp. It's a blending a muting of flavours with focus on mouthfeel/texture but slightly more clarity then purely traditional burrs.

Cast burrs are the crowd pleaser, understood in that it works for a wider amount of coffees and roast and those with people, it has enough of the clarity to handle and represent the lighter stuff and body to handle the darker and coffees taste longer and a bit more rounded and "sweet then Brew/MP. Regarding the bitterness it goes away after a large amount of seasoning.

MP and Brew are all about clarity and short transition of flavours, It good if you want to really pint point what the coffee taste like when your on a more modest budget and or want a home friendly seize grinder. The downside is if there is roast defect or the coffee is of lower quality it's right in your face and so is any brew mistakes, it's not exactly forgiving and not much suitable for darker then medium light roast. For some this can seem thin and watery, personally I define it as fragile and delicate so if that's not you go with the cast for light or if one brew many different roast level. If med to dark and just want traditional comfort and it to taste of "coffee" go with HU or stock burrs.

iyayy

#12: Post by iyayy »

hi,
just adding personal opinion here.
personally i think brew method matters for each burrs, with ssp being an anomaly.

i have c2, 1z, arco,
df64 stock, ssp mp, and ssp cv red.

arco and stock italmill are same profile, call it espresso burr if u wish.
1z and ssp cv is another profile,
mp as many mentioned is extreme end.

now for brew method, its interesting.

c2, arco, stock df64 italmill, and 1z may follow same brew method / ratio and works well.
flavor however is significant, stock df64 is bit better than arco, but nowhere near 1z. there's just more juiciness and lots going on in 1zk cup, or even on c2.
i'd consider these burr follows general brewing parameters.

now ssp is different extraction monster. these shows from those ppl who do tds. i dont, and only care on whats in my cup.
so adjust your grind/time/ratio/temp accordingly. the grinds from these flows very fast. take utmost care to avoid over extractions.
also you will have significantly better result modding the clump crusher for brew, i deem it mandatory.

done right, i can easily pick any ssp brews as better tasting, its obvious. mp taste is a bit more intense than 1z with sharp and sweet acid notes, but the liquid is very thin. its very easy to brew mild tea or bitter mess with mp.

cv is pure juiciness, with mellower acidity, much easier to brew. liquid is slightly thin vs 1zk, but the mouthfeel is much much richer. both are still some steps harder to brew compare to c2 and 1zk. also bitterness hits like a wall of aftertaste, not during the tasting. try to avoid over extraction and you'll get good results.

so there's my take, hope it will be informative. enjoy your cups.

buckersss
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by buckersss »

Loreo123 wrote:Alright!

I already own a DF64, is it on par with the the Fellow Ode - both equipped with SSP MP Burrs.
Or is the Ode that much better, that justifies buying it.

Talking solely about filter performance here! :)

Thank you people
On paper there doesn't seem to be any aspect of the ode that would put it above the df64. DF64 appears better in every way. Real life experience may be different. But expectations being what they are, I would have thought it's better to either sit on your cash, or spend it on another 64mm that appears better on paper.

Those that come to mind are the anfim cody ii, lagom p64, Mazzer sj, Ceado (although I have read some of the burr carriers don't play nice with 64mm, but it's hit and miss), or a fiorenzato.

Jonk

#14: Post by Jonk »

buckersss wrote:On paper there doesn't seem to be any aspect of the ode that would put it above the df64. DF64 appears better in every way. Real life experience may be different.
Workflow for filter grinding is probably a lot more streamlined with an Ode vs. a DF64. I have not used a DF64, but what makes me say this is that as long as I mist the beans with a spray of water, there's near zero retention at coarse grind size and no need for bellows or knocker on my Ode. It seems you can mod the DF64 to get a similar workflow, but if we're talking stock grinders here. There are other differences, like less popcorning due to having an auger and perhaps a bit faster grind thanks to a straight drop from vertical instead of horizontal burr mounting. The Ode is also significantly cheaper in many (most?) markets.

For those that often want to brew espresso as well, I'd say a DF64 is a much more obvious choice of course. I get 0.5g retention for espresso/near espresso on my Ode/SSP Brew regardless of RDT or knocker.