Fighting with the Niche Zero for Consistent Extractions - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
namelessone

#11: Post by namelessone »

I think dialling in by time, rather than taste is generally a bad idea, and +/- 5 sec seems rather normal? So many variables can affect the time, if you keep chasing consistent times and keep changing variables you'll be chasing your own tail.

GregoryJ (original poster)

#12: Post by GregoryJ (original poster) »

Usually the times only change by 1 or 2 seconds once I stop changing the grind. But yes thank you for the advice. If it tastes good I won't worry about the times too much!

pcrussell50

#13: Post by pcrussell50 »

namelessone wrote:I think dialling in by time, rather than taste is generally a bad idea, and +/- 5 sec seems rather normal? So many variables can affect the time, if you keep chasing consistent times and keep changing variables you'll be chasing your own tail.
Greg can correct me if I'm wrong here, but...

I didn't get the idea he's dialing in by time. I get the idea he's dialing in by taste, and using weight as his means of repeating a successful recipe. With that, time should remain relatively constant. That it was not, and his cup taste wasn't either was merely an indicator to him that he had a problem. At least that's how I read it.

-Peter
LMWDP #553