Fellow Ode V2.0 burrs almost here

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
ira
Team HB

#1: Post by ira »

If you were a KS backer of the Ode, look for an email with a link you have to follow to get a free set of the V2.0 burrs which they claim are in manufacturing and should ship in August.

staymesso

#2: Post by staymesso »

Just saw mine and signed up!

For non-backers they are targeting distribution of them in the fall. They shared analysis data from the burrs compared to v1.1 burrs showing Uni modal vs Vinod also distribution in gen 2 burrs vs v1.1. Claims are that the new burrs produce higher extractions.

No specific mentions or focus on grind fineness, but they do not seem to have an interlocking design so I imagine they can grind a fair bit finer than v1.1

Pics they sent out :

jmc999

#3: Post by jmc999 »

That's excellent news! Did they say anything about how they would perform vs. the SSP burrs?
Will these burrs be the stock burrs for new Odes going forward? I've been waiting to see what they come up with before deciding if I want to buy an ode.

staymesso

#4: Post by staymesso »

They did not compare to SSP but mentioned they will extract light roasts quite well.

Did not specify, but I I remember from a while back that they mentioned in the future that consumers would have the option to choose between the two burr types. No word on if cost would be the same.

Also forgot in original post but they have tossed the project for a better catch cup lid to reduce static, basically saying that after hundreds of prototypes and $20k they don't think it can be done.

Acavia

#5: Post by Acavia »

ira wrote:If you were a KS backer of the Ode, look for an email with a link you have to follow to get a free set of the V2.0 burrs which they claim are in manufacturing and should ship in August.
Your profile shows a lot of grinders. How do you compare Ode to some of the others? Would getting an Ode with these new burrs in future offers some taste differences from my Ditting Sweet in pourover? I am wondering if more clarity

iBrew

#6: Post by iBrew »

Looking forward to seeing how these new burrs compare to the SSP MP. I wonder if Fellow is going to upgrade the motor? I think that's the only weak link for the Ode for a V60 light roast. I'm assuming these new burrs will put extra strain on the motor to get the right grind size and extra bean hardness of a light roast.

ohwhen

#7: Post by ohwhen » replying to iBrew »

I don't think the motor is a weak link unless you're trying to grind for espresso. I have an Ode with SSP MP and have only had issues with stalling when I was seasoning the burrs (I was feeding way too many beans at once). For roast level reference, I've gone through many bags from Regalia and and least a couple from Sey.

iBrew

#8: Post by iBrew » replying to ohwhen »

I don't do espresso at home and I haven't had the motor stall on me but I can tell at the end of the grinding it seems to struggle a bit, maybe that's just the PID or whatever it is that turns the grinder off. I'm a big fan of the Ode SSP MP! Really tough to beat that set up for filter coffee, I absolutely love the dark roast I get from it as well.

ira (original poster)
Team HB

#9: Post by ira (original poster) »

I believe there is a PID or some sort of speed control that causes the speed to change as the grinding load changes.

bonjing

#10: Post by bonjing »

They look the burrs that came in the eureka oro.