Fellow Ode V2.0 burrs almost here - Page 10

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
nicholasnumbers

#91: Post by nicholasnumbers »

staymesso wrote:Just used mine for the first time today after aligning yesterday and cleaning the day before.

Have not seasoned whatsoever and brewed a v60 with a light roasted washed Ethiopian from Black and White.

Ode retention: with the grinder fully cleaned I figured this was a good time to test ode retention. I put in 20g and got out 19.5. My experience with the Ode over the bast few years is 0-0.2g of batch to batch retention, so 0,5G of total retention seems correct. This doesn't bother me as I only use it for filter where 0.5g doesn't make a huge difference. Note: I use RDT and give the knocker several taps.

Alignment and Burr setting: I aligned the burrs each to a 95+% marker wipe. I calibrated the grinder for setting 1 to be the first detectable chirp. For this brew I went with a setting of 3 major and 1 minor tick.

Brew: I did 20g to 320g with 98C water. Used a technique from Lance with a 2x bloom, another 2x bloom at 45s, and then split the last bit of water in half poured 30s apart at a high flow rate just behind center of the bed. I swirled after each pour and once during final draw down. The brew finished in 3:40. Notably this is quicker than I have ever gotten with the v1 burrs at any usable filter setting on a v60. Could be technique or coffee, but it seemed like the flow was much faster. I was also grinding finer than I would for pour overs in the past. I would typically do 3.2 to 4.2 for v60s of this size and they would finish at 4+ minutes.

Taste: having not tried this coffee with the v1 this is not the most scientific, but the coffee was quite sweet. In the future I would probably grind a bit finer for it to adjust, but first pass with a light roast these bites definitely seem to extract better. There were a lot of fines on top of the brew when finished which may give a clue as to why the clarity of this brew was a bit muddier than I would have liked. Flavor separation wasn't stellar but this may be a product of the burrs being brand new. I would expect this to likely improve over time as the burrs are seasoned, but time will tell.

Overall/Tl;dr: these are a definite upgrade over gen1 burrs. Sweeter and higher extracting. The difference was perceivable enough even with this being the very first brew after burr installation. Clarity was pretty low and it seems to produce a fair amount of fines that may explain but hopefully this will improve with burr seasoning.
I found that most sets of these burrs didn't really start to come into their own until about 5-6 pounds of coffee was through them. Every burr set is different, with some needing slightly more seasoning that others. Also, instead of fining up the grind next time, I would actually suggest dialing it back to around 4 or 5. It took me a couple of days to really get my head around how these burrs were extracting, and my initial assumptions solely based on draw down time were really off.

The distribution should tighten a bit over time. I hope they break in nicely for you.

Nick

Shenrei

#92: Post by Shenrei »

staymesso wrote:Just used mine for the first time today after aligning yesterday and cleaning the day before.

Have not seasoned whatsoever and brewed a v60 with a light roasted washed Ethiopian from Black and White.

I also agree with making it more coarse based on what you've outlined here. I would ignore total brew time as it varies too greatly bean to bean, roast level, the age of the coffee, filter to filter, pouring technique, temperature, modal or median grind size, and burr to burr. You can take the exact same coffee and by changing just one of those variables, the total brew time will be affected. Drawdown is faster on these burrs because of the tighter particle spread. If you're getting muddy brews, most definitely go coarser and ignore trying to match the total brew time of the previous dialed-in burr. You're likely over-extracting at 3:40 and trying to match 4+ minutes will probably bring you near the finest settings of the grinder where TDS will be much too high. I have not had a single muddy brew with these.
- Tim

selekt0r

#93: Post by selekt0r »

nicholasnumbers wrote:Can you unplug your grinder for 2 minutes and then re-plug to reset the PCBA? I have not seen this bug in any of the units I tested, so if you can try this it would be awesome.

Thanks,

Nick
That did the trick! Glad it was a simple fix. Thanks, Nick!

miniduf

#94: Post by miniduf »

Suepr grinder newbie here. Can anyway suggest a good way to align the burrs?

nicholasnumbers

#95: Post by nicholasnumbers » replying to miniduf »

Shenrei

#96: Post by Shenrei »

Today, I've dialed in, with these Gen 2 burrs, a coffee I'm extremely familiar with. The coffee is a Yemen Mokha Matari with a roast level that's among the lightest I've ever had.

My Brew Method:
Kalita 155 filter in Torch Mountain
14.5g coffee, 210mL water 97c
Three pours 50 100 60
45 second pulses
Ode at setting 3.0

This was a 10/10 cup. Exceptional. I decided to experiment going further with grind size (2.2, 2.1) but it was at this point a bitter lemon peel note began to form. With retrospect, the grinds themselves were already extremely fine.

For reference, this same coffee with this same brewing method was dialed-in at setting 6.6 with my K Plus.
- Tim

jdrobison

#97: Post by jdrobison » replying to Shenrei »

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing that.
I'm curious about your method... Complete draw down between pulses or are you hitting with the next pour before drained? Total contact time?

jfjj

#98: Post by jfjj »

Did you stick burrs before?
- Jean

Shenrei

#99: Post by Shenrei »

jdrobison wrote:Good stuff. Thanks for sharing that.
I'm curious about your method... Complete draw down between pulses or are you hitting with the next pour before drained? Total contact time?
It depends on the coffee, but with the ones I normally use, 45 seconds in between pours is nowhere near long enough for a complete draw down because it's so light. I don't remember the tbt but I think it was around 4+ minutes. However that should defintely not be used as a reference as it only adheres to this coffee and its current age. I've had coffees with a tbt of less than 2 minutes with this same method that tasted excellent.
- Tim

Escaron

#100: Post by Escaron »

Does anyone have a set of v2 and SSP cast to compare side by side? I use my Ode for filter and curious how similar or not these would be.