Fellow Ode V2.0 burrs almost here - Page 8

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Shenrei

#71: Post by Shenrei »

baristainzmking wrote:How do you like the burrs for the brew method? Seems like you have been using them for espresso. :)
They are a fantastic, all-around brew burr. Works great across the roast spectrum. Tastes very balanced and actually, I find the brew structure to be very similar to the 1zpresso K series but with a lifted veil. Finish lies somewhere in between Ditting 54mm steels (short) and Kinu POB (long). I suspect that in the beginning, users may be brewing too coarse. Due to the uniformity, dialed-in median grind size may be much smaller than one is used to. Once all of that is sorted out though, I think there will be many that will be reaching for their ODEs much more than their C40s or 1zKs.

With regards to espresso, although I've been brewing a variety of ratios, these cannot do more traditional ratios like 1:1 or 1:2 because these cannot go fine enough, even if it "feels" fine. So if you're pulling light roasts, expect to pull something quite long to achieve something palatable. There will be gushers; but because of how much more these burrs extract, you can pull fast shots and get good results if you're willing to experiment.
- Tim

Shenrei

#72: Post by Shenrei »

jmc999 wrote:Have you tried the SSP burrs as well? If so, what is your impression of the differences between the two burr sets?
I have only tried the 64mm SSP Brewing burrs, before they made some slight modifications and changed it into SSP MP. I had them for about 5-6 months and decided I did not like them. I tried to, but I trust my palette and my palette said no and I sold them here. I prefer the 1zKs and C40s for brew over the SSPs. I did not try the SSP 64mm Brew for espresso.
jfjj wrote:I meant more what did you have in the Ode before SSP or stock burrs. Sorry :)
Ah, ok! I had Gen 1 and SSP 64mm Brew. I have not tried the 64mm cast burr but probably will soon.
- Tim

ribe93

#73: Post by ribe93 »

Hi guys,

I am looking for a grinder suitable for Moka Pot (60%) and all kind of filter coffees (Aeropress, V60, Origami, Cold Brew ..), however I always excluded the Fellow Ode because of its lack of setting for finer methods. In particular, I brew from medium to light (rarely) roasted coffees for moka pot a lot, so that's my concern.

Which is your experience with the V2 burrs for Moka pot? Can I go all straight with my purchase? (as soon as Fellow make the Ode V2 available).

Thanks,

Steveko23

#74: Post by Steveko23 »

Got the new burrs installed just fine...though the original burrs were hard to remove and I did have to sand down the shaft as indicated in the instructional video. Otherwise process was pretty straightforward. Going to run some old beans through tonight and give it a go tomorrow morning.

Curious what setting people are now using for various brew methods vs what setting they had with the original burrs. Just eye balling the grinds it does seem finer at all the settings, but without really brewing anything it's hard to say for certain. Just kinda curious what others experiences are with these new burrs. Very excited to have them and kudos to Fellow for making this happen!!

nicholasnumbers

#75: Post by nicholasnumbers » replying to Steveko23 »

An Ode V1 at Setting 1 is around an Ode Gen 2 Setting 3-4 depending on the coffee. In addition to that these burrs do extract quite a bit higher than the V1 and V1.1 set at the same target particle size, so I would not be afraid to experiment. Depending on the style of coffee you like to drink, the dripper you choose, and your dose, you can be anywhere from a 3 for a 15g V60-01 light roasted coffee to an 8 for a 25g dose medium roast on a Stagg X. I tried to make these as versatile as possible.

Nick

hank-scorpio

#76: Post by hank-scorpio »

Steveko23 wrote:Curious what setting people are now using for various brew methods vs what setting they had with the original burrs. Just eye balling the grinds it does seem finer at all the settings, but without really brewing anything it's hard to say for certain. Just kinda curious what others experiences are with these new burrs. Very excited to have them and kudos to Fellow for making this happen!!
Still experimenting with the new burrs but I used to grind at the finest setting, 1.1, on my V1 burr (calibrated to one click above chirp) for a 27.5g dose of a light roasted Ethiopian in my v60 for a 3:45 brew time. With the V2 (also calibrated to one click above chirp), even at 5.1, I am hitting 4:15 with the same beans. Tried a 1.1 grind on the V2 just out of curiosity and it was pure mud and channels with a brew time of over 5 minutes so the V2s definitely go way finer.

staymesso

#77: Post by staymesso »

Hey Nick,

Do you recommend doing a shim alignment with these? Wondering with the tolerances of Ode if it would be worthwhile to do that before I start grinding. Just got mine in yesterday and installed but haven't ground anything as aligning would be easier to do before so I don't have to clean and take apart the grinder again.

Installation was fairly straightforward btw! Appreciate the video guide as well.

It is also cool how this opens up the usable range of the grinder now. Before I basically never went above a 6 for batch brews and now it sound like 3-8 for just pourover alone means the entire range is in play which is really cool.

zefkir

#78: Post by zefkir »

nicholasnumbers wrote:An Ode V1 at Setting 1 is around an Ode Gen 2 Setting 3-4 depending on the coffee. In addition to that these burrs do extract quite a bit higher than the V1 and V1.1 set at the same target particle size, so I would not be afraid to experiment. Depending on the style of coffee you like to drink, the dripper you choose, and your dose, you can be anywhere from a 3 for a 15g V60-01 light roasted coffee to an 8 for a 25g dose medium roast on a Stagg X. I tried to make these as versatile as possible.

Nick
Could you explain what you mean by extract higher at the same target particle size?

Do you mean that when the main mode is the same as measured with a particle analyzer, or with a photometry, or with other methods, then extraction is higher with the 2.0 burrs?

If so, why do you think that is? Is it just the lack of boulders coming from the 2.0 burrs vs the 1.x burrs or is there something else at play?

nicholasnumbers

#79: Post by nicholasnumbers »

staymesso wrote:Hey Nick,

Do you recommend doing a shim alignment with these? Wondering with the tolerances of Ode if it would be worthwhile to do that before I start grinding. Just got mine in yesterday and installed but haven't ground anything as aligning would be easier to do before so I don't have to clean and take apart the grinder again.

Installation was fairly straightforward btw! Appreciate the video guide as well.

It is also cool how this opens up the usable range of the grinder now. Before I basically never went above a 6 for batch brews and now it sound like 3-8 for just pourover alone means the entire range is in play which is really cool.
In my experience aligning burrs can only improve results. If you have the time and patience for it I would give it a go!

Nick

nicholasnumbers

#80: Post by nicholasnumbers »

zefkir wrote:Could you explain what you mean by extract higher at the same target particle size?

Do you mean that when the main mode is the same as measured with a particle analyzer, or with a photometry, or with other methods, then extraction is higher with the 2.0 burrs?

If so, why do you think that is? Is it just the lack of boulders coming from the 2.0 burrs vs the 1.x burrs or is there something else at play?
You're correct; when trying to achieve the same mode, these burrs extract higher. It's not something I intentionally tried to do; it just sort of happened the way that the uniformity and particle shape turned out. It's not an uneven extraction either; I went through this qualitatively across many different coffees.

Nick