Fellow Ode brew grinder review - Page 96

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
majs2009

#951: Post by majs2009 »

Today I disassembled the grinder to clean it for the first time. After cleaning, I noticed that my zero point shifted by about 3 clicks. I also noticed that the tightness of the four big screws affects the zero point... If I tighten them all the way then my zero point shifts to "2", but if I loosen them a bit then my zero point is back at "1" which is what I had before cleaning.

Eventually I had to recalibrate the grinder. Anyone had similar experience after cleaning their grinder?

nicholasnumbers

#952: Post by nicholasnumbers replying to majs2009 »

This is totally normal.

1) The zero point of almost all burrs will change after seasoning. For the Ode this can be 1-2 clicks (or more) after about 5 pounds of coffee goes through the grinder. It all depends on how the burrs are after the machining process. I've had some burr sets need very little seasoning while others need a bit more.

2) The Ode dial plate has a bearing on it that presses up against the spinning auger. The position of that bearing is what controls the auger distance, so if the dial plate is not fully seated, your zero point will be different.

Thanks,

Nick

Jonk

#953: Post by Jonk »

Perhaps a 2-3Nm torque wrench is a good investment if you clean the burrs regularly. It'll also prevent unnecessary overtightening and thread wear.

STG

#954: Post by STG »

Jonk wrote: The 64mm SSP unimodals on the other hand can produce extremely clean cups devoid of flaws, unless you count lack of character. Using beans with enough flavor to begin with can yield very enjoyable and drinkable results with a few defined flavor notes. Perfect for filling a whole thermos.
This was my issue with these burrs. They're TOO clean. I far prefer my Vario, followed closely by stock Ode.

I'm anxiously awaiting the new v2 burrs. I hope they hit the mark.

majs2009

#955: Post by majs2009 replying to STG »

Do you have the brew or multipurpose SSP? Do you drink mostly washed coffee? I believe the SSP brew burrs do not produce enough fines to add complexity to the brew especially if you are drinking washed processed coffee (these produce even leas fines than natural).
There are a lot of people describing their coffee as boring because of using washed coffee with Brew SSP burrs. The coffee would be too clean to be enjoyable. I drink mostly natural but I just ordered the Multipurpose SSP just to make sure that I do not lose the sweetness and complexity of my filter brews. These are my thoughts after researching on the SSP brew vs multipurpose across multiple platforms.

malling

#956: Post by malling »

The fines don't contribute with complexity try cupping fines and you would know what I mean, it's just an over-extracted soup of bitterness, however they do influence draw down and there seems to do something when these cling to larger particles rather then in their free floating form, if you sift and brew the coffee rather then brew it as it came out the grinder, the brew is clearly much more bitter. The difference in fines are minimal between the SSP burrs and Ode stock, the difference can very well be down to user error. The difference on boulders however is noticeable.

majs2009

#957: Post by majs2009 »

malling wrote: The fines don't contribute with complexity try cupping fines and you would know what I mean, it's just an over-extracted soup of bitterness, however they do influence draw down and there seems to do something when these cling to larger particles rather then in their free floating form, if you sift and brew the coffee rather then brew it as it came out the grinder, the brew is clearly much more bitter. The difference in fines are minimal between the SSP burrs and Ode stock, the difference can very well be down to user error. The difference on boulders however is noticeable.
I am not quite sure this is accurate. Are you saying sifted brews are more bitter than a non-sifted brews?!

simply, too many fines leads to a bitter cup.
very few fines or no fines leads to a clear but boring, one dimensional cup.

Fines and boulders are essential part of a quality cup of coffee. That is why I believe using the SSP brew burrs with washed coffee could sometimes yield a clear but one dimensional cup for some people because washed coffee tend to produce less fines. The perfect ratio of fines and boulder in your brew is determined by your preference. Meaning, what I called "clean and one dimensional cup" could be a perfect cup of coffee for other people. It all depends on what you really prefer.

DamianWarS

#958: Post by DamianWarS »

malling wrote:The fines don't contribute with complexity try cupping fines and you would know what I mean, it's just an over-extracted soup of bitterness, however they do influence draw down and there seems to do something when these cling to larger particles rather then in their free floating form, if you sift and brew the coffee rather then brew it as it came out the grinder, the brew is clearly much more bitter. The difference in fines are minimal between the SSP burrs and Ode stock, the difference can very well be down to user error. The difference on boulders however is noticeable.
fines alone are not the complexity part but the right balance of fines. a unimodal grind is less complex because it has a unimodal extraction and tends to be boring. BH makes an argument to sift out the boulders over fines and my experience is the same. I've sifted to specific um and found the cup lacking. Sifting and adding fines back in made it much more enjoyable. (adding the boulders did not make it more enjoyable). I would try blind cupping sifted grinds with different amounts of fines added back in to understand how fines contribute to the cup. it is a good chance you will prefer the cup with some portion of fines added in over the cup with no fines at all and you might want to describe that cup as being more complex.

malling

#959: Post by malling »

majs2009 wrote:I am not quite sure this is accurate. Are you saying sifted brews are more bitter than a non-sifted brews?!

simply, too many fines leads to a bitter cup.
very few fines or no fines leads to a clear but boring, one dimensional cup.

Fines and boulders are essential part of a quality cup of coffee. That is why I believe using the SSP brew burrs with washed coffee could sometimes yield a clear but one dimensional cup for some people because washed coffee tend to produce less fines. The perfect ratio of fines and boulder in your brew is determined by your preference. Meaning, what I called "clean and one dimensional cup" could be a perfect cup of coffee for other people. It all depends on what you really prefer.
No I am saying that if you separate the fines from the particles these cling to you get a bittering of the brew I done the test a few times with the same results, I'm not removing the fines I'm separating them. The fines in themselves dos only contribute with a very unpleasant bitterness, it's only as long as these cling or impact brew times these can have a positive impact, if these are just floating around the fines dos not contribute with anything positive in fact these ruin the brew no matter what grinder you use and it's distribution, why I always stir the grind to reintegrate the fines with the larger particles.

I don't believe that the number of fines themselves is a quality stamp or else you would not see so many have success with hand grinders, the state of the fines is equally important.

To many fines will obviously leads to allot of free floating fines.

The problem when you conclude that more unimodal grind is boring is due to fines fraction is that it impact everything from boulders but also the middle fraction it self the distribution is noticeable difference from say an Ode or a handgrinder, the Ode stock has few fines in fact but it taste nothing like the SSP HU. I think it's more it's impact on the important fraction, the fact that it makes these far more of an equal seize thereby meaning a more uniform extraction of every particles, with a more spread out distribution you have a higher variance i
In extraction among the particles, I think that is what your noticing, the fines and what ever state these are in can then impact the extraction of the others particles but I seen no proof that fines in themselves add complexity, from all the test I done in themselves only add a very unpleasant bitterness.

lu.co

#960: Post by lu.co »

hey guys,

I recently got a used ode. noticed some weird noises. Can you please give me some advice on what to check or what to do? To me it doesn't sound normal.
Prior to taking this Video I cleaned it to check if something might be stuck but found nothing. Exccept that the burr was very difficult to get out. Pushing was not really helpful.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0xBxISc ... IqrAJK791Q

thank you for your help
lukas