Fellow Ode brew grinder review - Page 94

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mbbrew

#931: Post by mbbrew »

I spent a few hours trying to pry it out in various ways with a tool set designed for splitting a phone. I even cut one of the screwdrivers down so I could position it to get under the burr to pry it up, without being able to get it to budge a mm. Fellow hasn't responded at all so I guess this is just a permanent fixture in the grinder now. Definitely wouldn't buy another product from them again considering the lack of response and support, especially after how well companies such as Baratza have been with much more minor issues.

nicholasnumbers

#932: Post by nicholasnumbers replying to mbbrew »

Sent you an email. Going to do what I can to help you out!

Nick

Advertisement
weinerd

#933: Post by weinerd »

mbbrew wrote:I spent a few hours trying to pry it out in various ways with a tool set designed for splitting a phone. I even cut one of the screwdrivers down so I could position it to get under the burr to pry it up, without being able to get it to budge a mm. Fellow hasn't responded at all so I guess this is just a permanent fixture in the grinder now. Definitely wouldn't buy another product from them again considering the lack of response and support, especially after how well companies such as Baratza have been with much more minor issues.
I recently got an Ode, didn't even try the stock burrs, went with a set of Mazzer 189D (from Mini E... debated between Super Jolly or Mini E but went Mini E since it is a lower powered grinder and the lower power Ode would accommodate the burr design better than the higher powered Super Jolly burr design).

When I went to put in the stationary burr it looked like it fit properly but I failed to notice it wasn't fully seated until I started screwing it in (fortunately I went gently taking turns on going around the 3 screws) and it started going in and ended up fully seating, but it's tight in there now and I can't pull it out, so mbbrew if you figure out how to get it out, let me know... I might have to get an inner bearing puller, or maybe try to spin it loose by knocking it with a punch on the mounting hole when it gets worn.

The other issue is that I think the stock burrs have a 38mm inner opening, while the Mazzers are 37mm. So it didn't fit over the center bulge of the rotating carrier/auger and had to get a friend who had access to a metal lathe to turn the sides of the bulge down so the burr could fit over it and sit flat on the carrier.

Once I got the Mazzer burrs fitted, I set it up so 1.0 was 1 click away from chirping, and then put through a pound of old dark roast beans going from 10 all the way down to 1 to season the burrs. I then did a few tests with SF Bay Organic Rainforest beans. I found that I could grind fine enough that when I dose 18 g and use my Silvia I can pull (a) a 36 g shot in about 25 seconds at 2.0, (b) a 54 g lungo in about 25 seconds at 2.2, and (c) a 27 g ristretto in about 25 seconds at 1.2.

I start the Ode going before I pour in the beans, and I don't think hear any strain in the motor at the fine settings, and at those settings I definitely think I have a good grinding range to work with (mainly espresso, with some french press, percolator and aeropress).

mbbrew

#934: Post by mbbrew replying to weinerd »

Hi, I was not able to get them out. Nick helped me out with a set of tools and a set of burrs that he had when those didn't work, but the stuck burrs were not able to be removed.

ira
Team HB

#935: Post by ira »

Warming it might help. Assuming the body is aluminum and the burrs are steel, heat will loosen the grip the body has on the burr, maybe enough. Be careful not to melt any plastic, but it might work.

Ira

weinerd

#936: Post by weinerd replying to ira »

That's a good idea, aluminum has an expansion coefficient twice that of steel so a heat gun around it might do the trick.

iploya

#937: Post by iploya »

I got my Ode yesterday and I was this close to breaking those pour fins off in the ground catch bin this morning with some needle nose pliers. Then I stopped myself and decided to post first to see if anyone has tried this and how it went. Thanks.

Advertisement
nicholasnumbers

#938: Post by nicholasnumbers replying to iploya »

Just an FYI, those fins are there for people who really like to brew with the Fellow Stagg pour over dripper. (If you ever use Ode and the Stagg X together, you'll understand.)

I just give the cup a shake and pour the grounds from the opposite side if I am using a larger, wider mouth brewer.

Nick

jdrobison

#939: Post by jdrobison »

Same here. Just pour from the other side.

ira
Team HB

#940: Post by ira »

Pour from the other side and give the bin a tap or two on the bottom to dislodge the tiny bit that always seems to stick. I think we all tried to use the pouring spout one or twice and felt the same way, but when I brew with my Fellow brewer, it's necessary.

Ira