Fellow Ode brew grinder review - Page 93

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
uncola

#921: Post by uncola »

I ordered mine direct from fellow. I was thinking about the weber key grinder but I had bad experiences with waiting for crowdfunded things and never getting them

DamianWarS

#922: Post by DamianWarS »

malling wrote:Yes... but some resellers have secured large stocks of 1.0 and wants to sell their entire v. 1.0 stocks before they get on with v. 1.1 or the following. In DK you cannot actually get v.1.1 and you won't be able to either because of that reason, in fact our importer have almost ruled out the 1.1 will ever be imported, they will wait till late this year to oder new stocks.

I can understand that no resellers or important want to loose money because they secured to large stocks then the market demands. But as a customer I personally would look elsewhere to get the newest version and is really not my concern they didn't read the market correctly. If they insist selling old version I personally believe it should be with a 30-50% discount and personally believe they should tell customers that it's not the newest version.

But you can typically ask them what version they got or send a picture of it.
that's not the reseller's fault, I think ode should offer a discount for the v1.1 with customers who have the v1.0 or some sort of exchange program. ode should take the fall not the resellers.

Advertisement
Balthazar_B (original poster)

#923: Post by Balthazar_B (original poster) replying to DamianWarS »

That's the exact same feeling I had about my MX-5 when Mazda significantly improved the engine only a few months after I bought it. But I couldn't get an exchange -- except with a significant trade-in haircut, since my car had depreciated -- or rebate, and my Mazda dealer still had a few of the older models on his lot that were up to him to sell.
- John

LMWDP # 577

4WhomTheFellowTolls

#924: Post by 4WhomTheFellowTolls »

Amazon had a flash sale for the Ode on Prime Day for $232 so I finally bit. Unfortunately it had a Q42020 manufacturing date, meaning no newly tooled burrs. Since I have no interest in swapping to SSP the savings were moot if I ordered the new burr set from Fellow. I returned it and ordered a unit directly from Fellow (10% off with code Fellow). It arrived yesterday and has a Q22021 manufacturing date. Wanted to share for those interested.

An interesting bit of observation on the Ode I received from Amazon. The fulfillment label from Fellow's warehouse was still on the box and it had a pick date of 5/17/21. So might be possibly that Fellow immediately switched to the new production model and is sending out original unit stock to resellers?

noahmichael89

#925: Post by noahmichael89 »

Same here on the Amazon flash sale. I already had the SSPs so it made sense for me. I did wonder if that's what Fellow was doing.

mbbrew

#926: Post by mbbrew »

Has anyone removed SSP burrs after installing? I got my DF64 today and was planning on switching the burrs over but I can't get the fixed burr to budge. The rotating burr came off the carrier pretty easily but there is no where to pry off the fixed one and I imagine any kind of manner of pulling it or force could damage it.

STG

#927: Post by STG replying to mbbrew »

What's your motivation for trying the SSP burrs in the DF64 over the Ode? Curious because I'm in the same situation as you but I'm not convinced it'll make much difference unless you're trying to grind in the espresso range.

Advertisement
mbbrew

#928: Post by mbbrew replying to STG »

I want to use them for espresso. I really like unimodal style espresso after trying it even with medium roast coffee. I also would like the ability to align them if only for piece of mind.

nicholasnumbers

#929: Post by nicholasnumbers »

mbbrew wrote:Has anyone removed SSP burrs after installing? I got my DF64 today and was planning on switching the burrs over but I can't get the fixed burr to budge. The rotating burr came off the carrier pretty easily but there is no where to pry off the fixed one and I imagine any kind of manner of pulling it or force could damage it.
Clean off the coffee with a brush, vacuum it out, and then put on some gloves. Rotate the static burr counterclockwise in the chamber.

Sometimes coffee can get impacted along the walls and make removal tough. Once you break that free, go down with 2 fingers and lift the now free spinning burr up as parallel as possible to the chamber. It may take some time but it will come out.

Nick

mbbrew

#930: Post by mbbrew replying to nicholasnumbers »

Tried this and can't even get the burr to rotate slightly. Its very clean in there, indistinguishable from a new grinder. I never used anything remotely oily and only ran it in this configuration for a month or so. The part used for centering the burr on the bottom quarter I think has a part that is out of round. I could run a really thin piece of plastic in between the burr and the carrier until I got to that point and then it wouldn't go forward. Fellow suggested I pry it from the inner edge by going through the top with the hopper removed but I can't get a thin screw driver to reach the point that I would be able to pry, and am concerned about damaging the burr if I could. I am guessing I got one of the earlier Ode's that didn't have great tolerances.