Fellow Ode brew grinder review - Page 92

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Kran

#911: Post by Kran »

Likely not. Print time is about 6 hours, with my printer, for the current iteration of the hopper. To print it to be really nice would be about 12-16 hrs.

Here's the model though for anyone interested in having a service print for them or modifying as they see fit: https://www.tinkercad.com/things/2eluENr7QQl

jpan127

#912: Post by jpan127 »

Hi guys!

I got a Silver Knight set a month ago and used it happily for awhile. Then one day I wanted to grind a bit coarser but was already on 11 and realized I forgot to calibrate it. I calibrated to 1 click from chirp (went clockwise 1 click after hearing chirp) and now I have a great range.

However, it's been maybe a week and I feel like the uniformity has went down. I got a few clogged V60 attempts (~4-5 minutes), especially if I do an aggressive stir in the bloom. I pinched some of the grinds and it really doesn't look uniform, although I'm neither an expert nor have tools for checking this. The resulting cup is not awful, slightly astringent, but I also want to grind finer since (I think) the extraction could be higher.

Has anyone had similar issues? (Currently grinding between 6 and 7 BTW)

Advertisement
jstn412

#913: Post by jstn412 »

Are you brewing light roast?
What kind of recipe? water temp?

jpan127

#914: Post by jpan127 »

Yep! Light, 1 pour more like Hoffman, 205F.

jstn412

#915: Post by jstn412 »

Ok, I have the ssp brew burrs(not multipurpose) calibrated 1 click past chirp. They are well seasoned
My v60 grind is normally between 5.2-6.2
I don't use Hoffman's recipe or technique though I have tried it
My recipe:
22g coffee
340g water 210 degrees
40g bloom, swirl the bloom
At 35 sec slowly pour centric circles to 140g
At 1:10 circle pour to 240g
At 2:10 circle pour to 340g
Little swirl to level out bed
Usually shoot for a brew finish between 3:30-4:15 depending on the coffee

heytchap

#916: Post by heytchap »

jpan127 wrote:Hi guys!

I got a Silver Knight set a month ago and used it happily for awhile. Then one day I wanted to grind a bit coarser but was already on 11 and realized I forgot to calibrate it. I calibrated to 1 click from chirp (went clockwise 1 click after hearing chirp) and now I have a great range.

However, it's been maybe a week and I feel like the uniformity has went down. I got a few clogged V60 attempts (~4-5 minutes), especially if I do an aggressive stir in the bloom. I pinched some of the grinds and it really doesn't look uniform, although I'm neither an expert nor have tools for checking this. The resulting cup is not awful, slightly astringent, but I also want to grind finer since (I think) the extraction could be higher.

Perhaps change your calibration further? I am 6 clicks from chirp and am very happy there. A few people from Fellow are also set up that way.

Also if you're slightly astringent, you likely want to go a bit coarser over finer.

DamianWarS

#917: Post by DamianWarS »

jpan127 wrote:Hi guys!

If you don't use the fine setting as you have currently calibrated it at 1 click past touch then calibrate it further from touch point. Broadly speaking astrigency can be from grinding too fine or over extracted coffee and typically the answer is go coarser.

Calibrate it where you want the grind not just at 1 click after touch. So if you want you pourover at 6 take the knob off at the 6 step position, find the grind you want and the put the knob back on and that grind will be at 6. Or take the knob off at the 11 step position, find the coarsest grind you would use, put the knob back on and 11 is now calibrated to the coarsest grind you would use. The danger of course is that if adjusted too fine burr touch will be above 1 but I think you know that won't be a problem. It's still a good idea to slowly bring it back to 1 to know that it's clear.

Advertisement
MB

#918: Post by MB »

I gave mine to my son before I opened it since I had ordered an LC Ultra. Anyway, he and his girlfriend love it for French press.
LMWDP #472

uncola

#919: Post by uncola »

Just ordered an Ode a few days ago. Been a lido 2 user exclusively since 2014. I use aeropress or clever coffee dripper depending on my mood. This will be my first real electric grinder. I read this entire 92 page thread. Is Ode shipping with the 1.1 burrs officially yet?

malling

#920: Post by malling replying to uncola »

Yes... but some resellers have secured large stocks of 1.0 and wants to sell their entire v. 1.0 stocks before they get on with v. 1.1 or the following. In DK you cannot actually get v.1.1 and you won't be able to either because of that reason, in fact our importer have almost ruled out the 1.1 will ever be imported, they will wait till late this year to oder new stocks.

I can understand that no resellers or important want to loose money because they secured to large stocks then the market demands. But as a customer I personally would look elsewhere to get the newest version and is really not my concern they didn't read the market correctly. If they insist selling old version I personally believe it should be with a 30-50% discount and personally believe they should tell customers that it's not the newest version.

But you can typically ask them what version they got or send a picture of it.