Fellow Ode brew grinder review - Page 91

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
STG

#901: Post by STG »

ollietwo wrote:How does the Ode with SSPs stack up against the likes of a Baratza Forte BG? I'm looking to upgrade from a Breville SGP.

I've got around max AU$1500 to spend on a brew grinder and am looking for the best I can get for that money. At the moment it's between the above two grinders.

Also, has anyone had any problems with their grinder? I've had to have my Stagg EKG fully replaced (kettle and base) within 3-months of ownership, so I'm a little hesitant with Fellow products at the moment.
I've got a Vario with Forte Burr chamber and brew burrs.

The GF and I did a bunch of blind triangle testing between it and the Ode with SSP and it was basically wild guessing to discern a difference. Very non scientific but it's a data point.

The Ode makes one hell of a mess. Even with a spray bottle I still get grounds everywhere. I have to vacuum my counter several times per week. The catch bin on the Vario is much better.

Having knowing what I know now, I would have passed on the Ode over my Vario.

I just realized you're trying to decide between the two. It's a wash in my opinion. Maybe Ode because of more burr options.

STG

#902: Post by STG »

malling wrote:Personally not much difference between the brew results with stock burrs. The SSP is clean but also very thin it lacks the sweetness and nuances that other burrs deliver, personally I went back to stock burrs of that reason, and I'm gonna wait till Fellow launch their new burrs in v2. and hear what people have to say, hopefully the new burrs can grind finer and either deliver same quality or better.

But I would not invest in the SSP, these burrs are better at spro and okayish for cupping.
Wait, are they releasing another different burr? Not the same as the v1.1?

Curious as I also have SSP (old unimodal / brew) but I'm not UNHAPPY with it. These are slightly different from MPs as I understand.

Advertisement
malling

#903: Post by malling replying to STG »

I have previously owned big bulk grinder and compared to those I found the profile uninspiring, somehow I found the profile to resemble what I got from the 98HU, something I never truely liked, but I met others who liked that profile.

As everything there is also a bit of personal preferences too it.

STG

#904: Post by STG replying to malling »

Interesting. I should try them again. You don't have any problems going fine enough for v60? I remember requiring the burrs touching to get the grind I needed with the stock burrs.

malling

#905: Post by malling replying to STG »

I have so many different brewers, so I don't care much about the usability of the V60. Mostly I just use the April or alternatively the Origami with either V60 or Wave paper, the flow seems to be somewhat slower then in the v60.

The v60 also depends on the paper used, the original Japanese paper certainly doesn't work if you cannot grind fine enough, the new Japanese work with a multi pour and the european version is noticeable slower then the other so you can get away with even fewer pours then the new Japanese paper.

I tend to grind somewhere between 2 and one notch above 3. I think allot have found that to be the sweetest spot with the Ode burrs. Below two I honestly don't find to deliver nearly as good results of some reason, the Ode seem to deliver its best at a somewhat coarser grind, something I seen with other interlocking burr design as well.

I don't put to much into drawdown times except that it just needs to be consistent. I have not found the faster draw down to be an issue not even with the scandinavian light roast.

If you look at April recipes they advice a brewing time on smaller brews to be 2.20-3min. They tend to use a somewhat coarse grind.

Kran

#906: Post by Kran »

rhtrevino wrote:I actually quite like the industrial feel of this mod. Great work! What print material did you use?
I printed this in ProtoPasta HTPLA. I really like the matte finish and I find the print quality is better than your standard PLA.
heytchap wrote:Mind sharing that STL?
Sure. The plate is here: https://www.tinkercad.com/things/87wufS1EBM7
And the funnel is here: https://www.tinkercad.com/things/62RELnwbuLq

Tolerances are kind of tight so depending on your printer you may have to adjust a little.
dascoont wrote: Why don't you make the funnel more recessed/lower, and extrude the rectangular section to the same height as the lip of the feed? That way you don't get a 'lip' and more of the boxy design language of the original hopper?
This is a great idea. Printing it now to see how I like the look.

heytchap

#907: Post by heytchap »

Kran wrote:I printed this in ProtoPasta HTPLA. I really like the matte finish and I find the print quality is better than your standard PLA.

Sure. The plate is here: https://www.tinkercad.com/things/87wufS1EBM7
And the funnel is here: https://www.tinkercad.com/things/62RELnwbuLq

Tolerances are kind of tight so depending on your printer you may have to adjust a little.

This is a great idea. Printing it now to see how I like the look.
thanks. i might try to crank one of these out in fusion360 and see what happens. thanks for the inspo.

Advertisement
BagelMaster

#908: Post by BagelMaster »

STG wrote:Wait, are they releasing another different burr? Not the same as the v1.1?

Curious as I also have SSP (old unimodal / brew) but I'm not UNHAPPY with it. These are slightly different from MPs as I understand.
Fellow customer service told me they are working on a new V2 burr that will be released in the future. Here is an excerpt from an email I received from then when I inquired about it:
Fellow Customer Service wrote:The newest Odes (manufactured in January 2021) have v1.1 burrs that can grind 100 microns finer than the first Odes produced. This change is a slight tweak in the tooling; we were able to improve the product incrementally. We are still working on an entirely new v2 burr set that should hit the 400-1200 micron range.

We don't have an ETA on the v2 burrs, and we will be sharing the news via our newsletter, website, and social channels when we do.

Kran

#909: Post by Kran »

I think this newer version of the hopper is slightly more pleasing to the eye. I'm still working through print settings but I think it keeps the original design ideas but with a more functional funnel feed into the auger.

lukewarmandbothered

#910: Post by lukewarmandbothered replying to Kran »

That's honestly really impressive! Do you think you'd be willing to print and sell at some point? I'd be interested.