Fellow Ode brew grinder review - Page 90

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
malling

#891: Post by malling »

ollietwo wrote:How does the Ode with SSPs stack up against the likes of a Baratza Forte BG? I'm looking to upgrade from a Breville SGP.

I've got around max AU$1500 to spend on a brew grinder and am looking for the best I can get for that money. At the moment it's between the above two grinders.

Also, has anyone had any problems with their grinder? I've had to have my Stagg EKG fully replaced (kettle and base) within 3-months of ownership, so I'm a little hesitant with Fellow products at the moment.
Personally not much difference between the brew results with stock burrs. The SSP is clean but also very thin it lacks the sweetness and nuances that other burrs deliver, personally I went back to stock burrs of that reason, and I'm gonna wait till Fellow launch their new burrs in v2. and hear what people have to say, hopefully the new burrs can grind finer and either deliver same quality or better.

But I would not invest in the SSP, these burrs are better at spro and okayish for cupping.

heytchap

#892: Post by heytchap »

Meanwhile, I'm blown away by the SSP burrs in the Ode. It takes like 8 seconds to grind 22g and the ensuing cup is amazing!

Advertisement
lukewarmandbothered

#893: Post by lukewarmandbothered replying to heytchap »

I agree wholeheartedly. Add to that it being gorgeous as a grinder can get and I couldn't be happier with it as my filter grinder.

Idfixe

#894: Post by Idfixe »

They had to offer burr swap in order to be suitabke for espresso drikns

malling

#895: Post by malling replying to Idfixe »

It's really not built for such use, I doubt it would hold up to such use for very long.

Kran

#896: Post by Kran »

Anyone have issues with stray beans staying in the hopper due to the slope of where the beans enter? I find it a little cumbersome to have to push the stray beans in by hand.

Tried to solve the issue by making a more traditional feed. I like how it works but the aesthetics clash a little with the rest of the grinder.

dascoont

#897: Post by dascoont »

Wow thats a nice mod, after a light mist on the beans for static, I often have to push some stray bean left in the hopper.

Why don't you make the funnel more recessed/lower, and extrude the rectangular section to the same height as the lip of the feed? That way you don't get a 'lip' and more of the boxy design language of the original hopper?

Advertisement
johnX

#898: Post by johnX »

Kran ask: Stray beans left in hopper?
Yes, quite often.
I have to rock the grinder from side to side, to get them all to feed in.
Before I was weighing my beans to a tenth of a gram and then finding out there were beans left in the hopper. :-(

heytchap

#899: Post by heytchap »

Kran wrote:Anyone have issues with stray beans staying in the hopper due to the slope of where the beans enter? I find it a little cumbersome to have to push the stray beans in by hand.

Tried to solve the issue by making a more traditional feed. I like how it works but the aesthetics clash a little with the rest of the grinder.

Mind sharing that STL?

rhtrevino
Supporter ♡

#900: Post by rhtrevino »

Kran wrote:Tried to solve the issue by making a more traditional feed. I like how it works but the aesthetics clash a little with the rest of the grinder.
I actually quite like the industrial feel of this mod. Great work! What print material did you use?