Fellow Ode brew grinder review - Page 89

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Balthazar_B (original poster)

#881: Post by Balthazar_B (original poster) »

For anyone in the market for an Ode, Espresso Parts is running a 15% off sale on all Fellow products until May 31st.
- John

LMWDP # 577

darrenho
Supporter ♡

#882: Post by darrenho replying to Balthazar_B »

Fellow's website is also running 15% off on select (most) Fellow products until May 31st.

dascoont

#883: Post by dascoont »

Welp, I just bought one and opened it just to check it out since there are no sticker seals (got curious). Not going to it, but I already have a 'defective' unit. The dial clicks/white line are offset to the numbered settings; it doesn't line up, it points too far to the left.... Opening it up, looks like there's no way for me to reposition the dial itself to line up properly to each numbered setting. Looks like I'm gonna have to exchange, my friend's OCD will for sure annoy her to no end.

Anyone else here have this annoying misaligned dial issue?

malling

#884: Post by malling replying to dascoont »

Post a picture of it, it would make it easier to help.

DamianWarS

#885: Post by DamianWarS »

dascoont wrote:Welp, I just bought one and opened it just to check it out since there are no sticker seals (got curious). Not going to it, but I already have a 'defective' unit. The dial clicks/white line are offset to the numbered settings; it doesn't line up, it points too far to the left.... Opening it up, looks like there's no way for me to reposition the dial itself to line up properly to each numbered setting. Looks like I'm gonna have to exchange, my friend's OCD will for sure annoy her to no end.

Anyone else here have this annoying misaligned dial issue?
is it just perspective looking down on it? it's a fairly large knob with a line on the surface that extends to the sides of the knob and then lines up with the stepped lines on the face of the unit. looking down on it, it doesn't really line up, but tracking the line to the sides then to the body perfectly lines up. adjusting the knob to the center position (6) should at least make it clearer and if it doesn't line up and it bothers you, you will have to take it up with fellow but I can at least affirm that my unit lines up perfectly (or good enough for me) and pictures on fellow's website seem to be the same

dascoont

#886: Post by dascoont »

Its fairly obvious its not lined up. Its about 1/3 between the 6 and the next click setting to its left if we are using your pic as reference, I'm just too lazy to open the box and take it apart.

Returned it, gonna stick to manual grinders for now lol.

heytchap

#887: Post by heytchap »

Installed my SSP multis last night. Whole thing took like... 15 mins? Very impressed with the results this morning, perhaps one of the best pours I've had - ever? It was seriously that good. I'm a bit blown away.

install was a breeze. I thought 1 click back from touch was too fine, so I went back 5 more clicks which made everything just a hair coarser and is really working well.

Anyone on the fence for this upgrade should really consider doing it. The coffee difference for me is night & day.

ollietwo

#888: Post by ollietwo »

How does the Ode with SSPs stack up against the likes of a Baratza Forte BG? I'm looking to upgrade from a Breville SGP.

I've got around max AU$1500 to spend on a brew grinder and am looking for the best I can get for that money. At the moment it's between the above two grinders.

Also, has anyone had any problems with their grinder? I've had to have my Stagg EKG fully replaced (kettle and base) within 3-months of ownership, so I'm a little hesitant with Fellow products at the moment.

jstn412

#889: Post by jstn412 »

I've had my ode since October. Upgraded to SSP brew burrs a month later. No problems with grinder. Just use a tiny spray of water to prevent retention and messiness. Took a little while to dial in with ssp burrs. Don't base brews off time anymore. Because of the very even grind distribution clogging a v60 is really hard to do

Jonk

#890: Post by Jonk »

ollietwo wrote:How does the Ode with SSPs stack up against the likes of a Baratza Forte BG?
They're both very good. The Vario/Forte BG has more balance in my opinion, but the 64mm SSP unimodal burrs offer even more clarity if that's what you prefer.

Ode is a lot faster and quieter. The Baratza grinders offer some convenience like grind by weight and you don't need RDT.