Fellow Ode brew grinder review - Page 88

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
ira
Team HB

#871: Post by ira »

Just the edges. Fellow should have cut them down slightly as this is a common problem on grinders that use this method to drive burrs. I had to do the same thing on my two Bunn grinders which is where I figured out the solution. Though on the Bunns it's possible to use a file because there is so much more room.

Ira

malling

#872: Post by malling »

Just did a sifting with SSP with setting 7 (on the coarse end of filter that I use) with a none aligned Ode and there is defiantly an increase of middle fraction compared to the finest setting on the Ode in stock configuration, but also slightly more fines compared to stock burrs v1.

Compared to an well aligned EK with stock burrs, in filter range at setting 7 (Old dial) According to notes I got about an equal amount of fines, perhaps one percentage less with the Ode with SSP, but also noticeable more boulders with SSP Ode, however the setting where on the coarse end, it would definitely be reduced going down to setting 6 and if I bothered to align it.

Advertisement
darokz

#873: Post by darokz »

Hi, i just upgraded to the ssp burrs, no issue putting them on but i was wondering if there is any video to see how to do the alignment even tho i hardly see a lot of margin to work with !

Balthazar_B (original poster)

#874: Post by Balthazar_B (original poster) replying to darokz »

There are a few videos on YouTube...have you checked those out?
- John

LMWDP # 577

Whitecrane

#875: Post by Whitecrane »

This might be a stupid question but I have a stock ode, likely with 1.1 burrs (February shipped). Am I supposed to align this thing? Because I've never even taken the front face off. I'm very happy with the coffee it makes.

jdrobison

#876: Post by jdrobison replying to Whitecrane »

Their design doesn't really lend itself to alignment. You can calibrate the zero point but alignment is sort of futile with those burrs.

dascoont

#877: Post by dascoont »

Best friend is leaving for college, and I'm wondering if this is a good present to give for someone who is interested in specialty coffee.

My main concern is the ease of use, or specifically the hassles that most reviews have picked at.
  • 1. Can it still not grind fine enough at the lowest settings?
    2. Is it still messy, even after RDT/spraying the coffee with light mist of water?
    3. Is the light buzzing still an issue?
    4. Does the auto-stop function still not work?
I've speed-read most of this thread, but any input would be really helpful.

Advertisement
malling

#878: Post by malling replying to dascoont »

I have a 2020 edition and I don't have a problem with 2,3 and 4. Nr. 1 i still believe is relevant if you brew short brews on fast brewers using a Hoffmann style technique, but not as bad as with v. 1 burrs. However I'm sure it will be sorted out when the new burrs comes out hopefully this summer.

The problem with 2,3 and 4 where mostly Kickstarter batch related, as I wrote above I don't have mess problems when doing RDT, not doing it then I have that problem some days with some coffees but not constantly, so it seems very influenced by environmental factors.

Word_salad

#879: Post by Word_salad »

dascoont wrote:Best friend is leaving for college, and I'm wondering if this is a good present to give for someone who is interested in specialty coffee.

My main concern is the ease of use, or specifically the hassles that most reviews have picked at.
  • 1. Can it still not grind fine enough at the lowest settings?
    2. Is it still messy, even after RDT/spraying the coffee with light mist of water?
    3. Is the light buzzing still an issue?
    4. Does the auto-stop function still not work?
I've speed-read most of this thread, but any input would be really helpful.
Yeah basically echoing the last post, I got my Ode directly from fellow late last year and I have none of these issues.

I do 19g to 300g water and draw down time is ~4 mins on setting 2. Retention is low and not really any mess with rdt. No buzzing. Auto stop usually kicks in 2-3 seconds after I hear the last bean. Overall it's a very functional little grinder.

cpreston
Supporter ♡

#880: Post by cpreston »

Got mine from Fellow in April. No issues. Using with Aeropress at around 2. I'm happy with it so far.