Fellow Ode brew grinder review - Page 87

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Thymine

#861: Post by Thymine »

Addyct wrote:I bought the replacement burrs from Fellow after talking to customer service and verifying that they are the "v1.1" burrs. I got my Ode in October.

I cannot visually tell a difference between the original burrs and the v1.1 burrs. There are no markings on either set. I haven't brewed any coffee with it yet but I ground a bit of coffee to examine. Unfortunately, I forgot to grind a bit beforehand to compare it to. whoops.

Anyways, I've taken some pictures of both sets. The new "v1.1" set is on the left, the original set is on the right. See if you can spot any differences.
Are you able to notice a difference in the grind? I.e. is it noticeably finer? Interested in picking up the Ode, but considering just waiting until the v2.0 burrs release if the v1.1s don't make much of an impact.

malling

#862: Post by malling »

Just installed a pair of SSP in my Ode, it where indeed a very snug fit, there where virtually no play to manoeuvre with. The pitch of the grinder definitely changes when grinding and the grind look and feels more uniform (have not sifted it yet.) I would definitely not go very fine with these installed due to the change in sound while grinding. Before it where easy to get the burrs in and out, but with ssp that changed, it where almost impossible to get the burrcarrier out, so a prober lubrication of the axel where necessary to get it out as easy as before.

Be interesting how the taste changes tomorrow.

Weber Workshops: tools for building better coffee
Sponsored by Weber Workshops
kpmd2000

#863: Post by kpmd2000 »

FYI you can get an ode for 20% off today with code Strat21. Just bought mine

STG

#864: Post by STG »

malling wrote:Just installed a pair of SSP in my Ode, it where indeed a very snug fit, there where virtually no play to manoeuvre with. The pitch of the grinder definitely changes when grinding and the grind look and feels more uniform (have not sifted it yet.) I would definitely not go very fine with these installed due to the change in sound while grinding. Before it where easy to get the burrs in and out, but with ssp that changed, it where almost impossible to get the burrcarrier out, so a prober lubrication of the axel where necessary to get it out as easy as before.

Be interesting how the taste changes tomorrow.
Probably because your burr carrier was starting to partially gall to the shaft like mine did. Did you inspect the bore that receives the motor shaft?

the_ring

#865: Post by the_ring »

malling wrote:The pitch of the grinder definitely changes when grinding
That's clearly the case but I'm not sure about the source. Is it caused by the shape and/or coating difference or more worryingly by the motor?

Toxicswan
Supporter ♡

#866: Post by Toxicswan »

I purchased my Ode a few months back. Ground 7 bags of light roast Kenyan and Ethiopian coffee. Brewed with V60, Kalita, Clever Dripper and Bonavita drip. Ground all kinds of sizes and played with temperature and extraction times. Was convinced I couldn't grind for light roast coffee. Ordered the SSP burrs from Fellow. Right before my new burrs arrived my coffee seemed to "come alive". We could clearly taste all the flavors in the notes on the bag and the separation was great. My palette is OK. My wife's palette is amazing. I definitely can't taste the complexity and subtly that she can, so I had some back up in my endeavors.
I decided to install the SSP burrs, since I thought they would be an improvement. In the process I had the same experience that I read in the preceding posts. It was a serious struggle to get the rotating burr assembly off the spindle. I also decided to check the alignment of the stock burrs using dry erase marker, so I removed and installed both sets of burrs multiple times. The situation got worse and worse. I noticed that the inside of the rotating burr assembly was scratched/scored. It got worse every time I removed it. The edges of the notch in the spindle that the locking key inserts into are the problem. They are slightly flared out. I've been talking to Fellow customer service.
Ever since I removed the stock burrs, I've had really inconsistent grinds. It is as if the rotating burrs are getting stuck on the spindle. I went back to the stock burrs: same thing. I purchased a Kruve sifter from a member of this forum.
Testing the grinds from my Ode. Targeting grinds between 800 and 400 ppm: Grinding 15 grams at a time. On average I get 8 grams between 800 and 400 ppm. I get 4 grams larger and I'm getting 3 grams smaller. I'm not too worried about the larger grinds, but the amount of powdery fines seems high. This will be over extracted and account for the sour and burnt taste we get in the cup. Am I asking too much of the Ode?

malling

#867: Post by malling »

Just one day ago my grind setting got stuck, I literally could hardly move the grind dial finer. It took me a few trial and error to figure out what was wrong. The adjustment wheel that you can see when removing the 4 small screws, that you also use to calibrate the grinder with, of some unexplained reason had gotten a tiny bit out off alignment, so I removed the screw holding the metal plate and then rearranged it, after a couple of trials it now runs very smoothly, perhaps a bit of a design flaw, that it by itself can do that.

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home
hank-scorpio

#868: Post by hank-scorpio »

Toxicswan wrote:I purchased my Ode a few months back. Ground 7 bags of light roast Kenyan and Ethiopian coffee. Brewed with V60, Kalita, Clever Dripper and Bonavita drip. Ground all kinds of sizes and played with temperature and extraction times. Was convinced I couldn't grind for light roast coffee. Ordered the SSP burrs from Fellow. Right before my new burrs arrived my coffee seemed to "come alive". We could clearly taste all the flavors in the notes on the bag and the separation was great. My palette is OK. My wife's palette is amazing. I definitely can't taste the complexity and subtly that she can, so I had some back up in my endeavors.
I decided to install the SSP burrs, since I thought they would be an improvement. In the process I had the same experience that I read in the preceding posts. It was a serious struggle to get the rotating burr assembly off the spindle. I also decided to check the alignment of the stock burrs using dry erase marker, so I removed and installed both sets of burrs multiple times. The situation got worse and worse. I noticed that the inside of the rotating burr assembly was scratched/scored. It got worse every time I removed it. The edges of the notch in the spindle that the locking key inserts into are the problem. They are slightly flared out. I've been talking to Fellow customer service.
Ever since I removed the stock burrs, I've had really inconsistent grinds. It is as if the rotating burrs are getting stuck on the spindle. I went back to the stock burrs: same thing. I purchased a Kruve sifter from a member of this forum.
Testing the grinds from my Ode. Targeting grinds between 800 and 400 ppm: Grinding 15 grams at a time. On average I get 8 grams between 800 and 400 ppm. I get 4 grams larger and I'm getting 3 grams smaller. I'm not too worried about the larger grinds, but the amount of powdery fines seems high. This will be over extracted and account for the sour and burnt taste we get in the cup. Am I asking too much of the Ode?

Sounds like you are having the same issue a lot of us are. Basically the key warps the edges of the notch in the spindle and thus the auger gets stuck and can't be adjusted well. Mine got so bad that I had to fashion some hooks and pull as hard as I could to even get the burr carrier out. You can sand down the warped part of the spindle/notch to make the spindle somewhat round again to fix the issue. Also, I have found that if I turn on the grinder before pouring beans in, the spindle does not get warped or damaged at all. One sign that the spindle may be getting warped is the auto shutoff stops working consistently and the sound changes, causing the adjustment dial to not really affect the grind size. I have been pouring beans in only when on for the last 6 months and have had no issues yet and autoshutoff works everytime, whereas I had the same issue as you develop after the first month of use when turning on the grinder after I pour in the beans.

ira
Supporter ♡

#869: Post by ira »

So after reading the above I decided it was finally time to open my Ode. It's a Kickstarted Ode, it's ground 30 grams of beans ever day since it arrived and I always add the beans before turning the grinder on. Got the dial off and if I pushed the burr in, it came back but only a bit further than it was originally. I got the plate out and then put one front cover screw in each of the 2 holes on the burr carrier, squoze them together and gently pulled. It came out further, but not far enough. So the next try was putting some nylon string or twine between the burrs. I used the eye of a long needle to push the string back and drop it between the burrs pushing it as close to the wipers as possible. Couple of tries and I got it where I wanted and then it came out with a bit of force. It's rather hard to get to the shaft to work on it so I took a piece of 600 grit wet/dry about 3/4 wide and 1.5" long, got it wet and used a fingertip to go long the three edges, both sides and the back, of both slots. Took less than a minute per slot. Then wiped off very carefully with a clean piece of paper towel and it slid on like new. Took me 2 or 3 tries on each slot as I didn't want to go to far and if a used piece of 600 was not sitting on top of the sandpaper box I probably would have gone for 400.

Anyway, now it I tap the burr in with my finger it pops out plenty far enough to grab and then is slides off like it should.

Ira

Toxicswan
Supporter ♡

#870: Post by Toxicswan » replying to ira »

Thank you! That worked great!