Fellow Ode brew grinder review - Page 73

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Addyct

#721: Post by Addyct »

I finally get the fins.

I decided that I would pull out the aeropress for the first time in... years? Yeah, I think it was years. Anyways, I digress...

Pouring the grinds into the Aeropress is *much* easier when you use the side with the fins, and you don't need the funnel.

Thinking about it now, it makes sense. Both the Aeropress(Prismo) and the Stagg dripper are pretty narrow pour targets. When you put yourself in their shoes as they designed this, it's a perfect little solution to a problem they must have encountered.

Whitecrane

#722: Post by Whitecrane »

Addyct wrote:I finally get the fins.

when you use the side with the fins, and you don't need the funnel.
Knowing I can bypass the fins when pouring into my huge filter basket on an autodrip brewer is a huge benefit to me. All this time I thought the fins would get get in the way and I'd be slapping the container trying to get all the grinds out. That's a big, "con" I can cross out on my list holding me back from pulling the trigger on this thing.

Unrelated... those of you upgrading to SSP burrs - is this an all around upgrade, or are you only doing it to grind finer? Let's say you ground for cold brew, or French Press, or auto-drip. Any difference?

powerandylin

#723: Post by powerandylin »

After using SSP multiple purpose burrs for a few days, I got to say I kind of regret changing the burrs to SSP. It's not due to the taste. They are both good burrs with different taste profile. The stock burrs show better body and sweetness, when SSP burrs show better aroma and acidity.

I'm not so satisfied because it's hard to get a proper parallel alignment for SSP burrs. The base of ODE is not precise enough. The inner burr is a little bit lower on the L't side and higher on the R't side. It may not cause problem with stock burrs, but definitely a PITA when using SSP. Currently I have to screw the L't 2 screws tighter and the R't 2 screws looser in order to get better alignment. And if the alignment is bad, the grind becomes uneven and I got to grind coarser to avoid bitterness.

Maybe I'll try Matt Perger's method and put some foil underneath the inner burr instead later.
How do you guys do with parallel alignment on ODE? Any suggestions?

jdrobison

#724: Post by jdrobison replying to powerandylin »

I haven't replaced the stock burrs so can't offer any thoughts on realigning for the SSP's. I did spend some time realigning mine with foil but there didn't really seem to be much I could do. Perhaps it's because of the unique design of the Ode burrs and how they make contact with each other??

powerandylin

#725: Post by powerandylin »

I don't think the stock burrs need to be realigned due to the unique design, like you said. The cutting teeth on the rim of outer burr make it impossible to grind finer, but also make the relative coarse coffee particles more even. Alignment is not that important in this condition. I think it's a little bit like the ghost-teeth burrs we frequently use in ASIA.

On the other hand, the SSP burrs are heavier, flatter, and less tolerant to bad alignment. I tried to put some foil under the L't lower quadrant of inner burr last night. Also wrapped the auger key, which is relative small and caused wiggling, with foil. It seems like 80~90% of problem is solved thereafter. The noise during grinding is reduced, and I can get a more stable result each time. Still need some time to work on the optimal scale and brew method, though.

chirospresso

#726: Post by chirospresso »

Had to bring out the Mazzer mini... Very disappointed in the Ode. Will not go fine enough for my brew method. Will the ssp burrs get it a bit finer? After reading here about the problems with the ssp not sure I want to bother. Anything else? When the wife complains about the coffee- it's a problem.....
Thanks

Balthazar_B (original poster)

#727: Post by Balthazar_B (original poster) replying to chirospresso »

Gene, was your Ode the Kickstarter version or the retail version?
- John

LMWDP # 577

chirospresso

#728: Post by chirospresso »

Not sure John. I bought it from Fellow 12/31/20... I emailed them and had a quick response. They instructed me to calibrate the burrs. I did, and they were set right. Im waiting to hear back..
Thanks

Balthazar_B (original poster)

#729: Post by Balthazar_B (original poster) »

I asked because Fellow will apparently be sending a second set of burrs to their Kickstarter customers for free (in June, IIRC)...but pretty sure they'll be available as well to those who bought through the retail channel. They'll be designed to enable finer grinds for those folks who do small pourover brews. No idea what the cost will be, but suspect it'll be less expensive than a set of SSPs.
- John

LMWDP # 577

chirospresso

#730: Post by chirospresso »

Well that's good to know.. I was ready to put it to the curb... :x I really want to like this grinder....