Fellow Ode brew grinder review - Page 70

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Word_salad

#691: Post by Word_salad »

jng0714 wrote:If you have digital callipers, and assuming that the SSP burrs have standard tolerances, my post #413 has measurements that you can use to verify before purchasing
It seems though that some odes do fit ssp and some dont, so there is not a standardization of burr carriers. I think some are machined and some are cast (correct me if I'm wrong). Is there a way to find out what type of carrier the unit will have? Like are the more recent grinders all cast while Kickstarter ones are machined or something of that vein?

mulansauce

#692: Post by mulansauce » replying to Word_salad »

Anecdotally, they seem to fit the vast majority of Odes. I've spoken to or read accounts from 23 people who have made the swap. I have only encountered two early-production units that had issues fitting the SSP burrs. Unless you were a very early backer, I wouldn't hesitate to order. Both Prima and Fellow have now stated explicitly that the 64mm SSP MP burrs work with the Ode.

The two issues on this forum seem restricted to the manufacturing methods in early units. For peace of mind, open the front and determine if your unit is cast or machined. The cast one will have pockmarks; the machined one will have tool marks. The machined units should be fine (mine is machined). The cast might have issues, although it's still possible they will fit.

Urnex: 100% dedicated focus on coffee and tea cleaning
Sponsored by Urnex
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#693: Post by JohnB. »

Whitecrane wrote: I just realized how little competition is in this price range for brew grinders. What did people do 10 years ago, just buy a used Bunn G1?
Pretty much. 10 years ago I was using the original Bunnzilla with Ditting 804 machined burrs. Still use it every morning. It's a great single doser with minimal retention if you give the beans a spritz of water. It is a little bigger then the Ode. :lol:

My daughter has the Ode, uses it for pourover & french press brewing. After close to 3 months of use she's had no issues & is very happy with it so far.
LMWDP 267

jdrobison

#694: Post by jdrobison »

For those who are referencing this thread as an Ode review to make a purchasing decision... Aside from the earlier data I posted showing what I believed was a high ratio of very large particles to smaller, I'm also finding the Ode difficult to work with across brew methods. My reference point is my steel burr Vario which is typically set between 5 and 7 for pour overs.

I've mentioned this before but... I'm using the Kalita Wave 185 with Kalita filters and 4 pulse pours. My drawdown time using the Vario is about 3:30 or so with a 22/375 brew. When I use the Ode at the finest setting (calibrated to 1 click from chirp), my drawdown time is about 2:15. This is across all coffees I've used - currently with a Madcap El Salvador. I have yet to get a full extraction from the Ode using my standard method.

Now this is what's interesting to me at the moment... I'm using the Espro Bloom (with filter) the past week or so. To achieve a 2:30 drawdown, I have to dial the Vario quite a bit finer - from a mid-6 to a low 5 or so. That's expected and how it's designed. However, when I use the Ode instead, it completely chokes the Espro Bloom. This was completely unexpected, given that the Bloom is wide open and I wondered if the Ode would be fine enough to even use it. I've done a few and dialed the Ode up to 5 (a setting that would gush water through using my Kalita method) and the Bloom drawdown time is close to 5 minutes.

I thought I'd post my continued experience for anyone interested. Additionally, I'd love feedback on this. Can anyone speculate? It seems as though the fines are settling very quickly and clogging up the bottom of the filter. This doesn't happen with the Vario, however, even with an apparently finer grind.

MikFlores300

#695: Post by MikFlores300 »

I saw a few pages back talk about the Brew Pro. I'll just say this. I prefer the Ode with SSP brew burrs to the Mignon Brew Pro. I've used both a lot, and not by any scientific means just prefer the Ode more. There's a million variables and time I don't have, so take this at face value. Both have been aligned to my best ability.

malling

#696: Post by malling »

jdrobison wrote:For those who are referencing this thread as an Ode review to make a purchasing decision... Aside from the earlier data I posted showing what I believed was a high ratio of very large particles to smaller, I'm also finding the Ode difficult to work with across brew methods. My reference point is my steel burr Vario which is typically set between 5 and 7 for pour overs.

I've mentioned this before but... I'm using the Kalita Wave 185 with Kalita filters and 4 pulse pours. My drawdown time using the Vario is about 3:30 or so with a 22/375 brew. When I use the Ode at the finest setting (calibrated to 1 click from chirp), my drawdown time is about 2:15. This is across all coffees I've used - currently with a Madcap El Salvador. I have yet to get a full extraction from the Ode using my standard method.

Now this is what's interesting to me at the moment... I'm using the Espro Bloom (with filter) the past week or so. To achieve a 2:30 drawdown, I have to dial the Vario quite a bit finer - from a mid-6 to a low 5 or so. That's expected and how it's designed. However, when I use the Ode instead, it completely chokes the Espro Bloom. This was completely unexpected, given that the Bloom is wide open and I wondered if the Ode would be fine enough to even use it. I've done a few and dialed the Ode up to 5 (a setting that would gush water through using my Kalita method) and the Bloom drawdown time is close to 5 minutes.

I thought I'd post my continued experience for anyone interested. Additionally, I'd love feedback on this. Can anyone speculate? It seems as though the fines are settling very quickly and clogging up the bottom of the filter. This doesn't happen with the Vario, however, even with an apparently finer grind.
The first one sound like your using a very aggressive flow from the kettle, that won't work with the ode, when pouring you should keep it below 5g/sec this typically results in brew time in the range 2.45-3.30. Both with split pouring regime as well as single pour, however you can increase it a tiny bit with split pours. The pour should be in a straight line from the tip down from the kettle and at a higher hight than you would think, just before it start to splatter and should be kept at a constant hight. You can then move with your shoulder/elbow alternatively with your body/hips if you keep your kettle close to your body, never make motions with your hand/wrist.

If your clogging it's because of how your brewing, the Ode produce fewer fines than Vario according to my notes. Again your probably pouring to aggressively.

jdrobison

#697: Post by jdrobison » replying to malling »

Thanks. I should point out that in all of them I'm pouring through a Melodrip. Granted, it's still possible to pour at a faster rate than 5g/sec but it does slow down the pour as well as reduce the agitation considerably. Having said that, my pour technique is exactly the same in all cases and the only thing that changes is the grinder. So, a couple of follow up questions:

1. Why would the Ode require a less aggressive flow than the Vario
2. Why would the Ode grinds clog the Espro Bloom and not the Kalita Wave, all else being equal?

Thanks again!

Flair Espresso: handcrafted espresso. cafe-quality shots, anytime, anywhere
Sponsored by Flair Espresso
bas

#698: Post by bas »

There are mixed opinions in this thread.

I am wondering if the stock Ode grinds fine enough for a 15/250 batch using normal Hario 01 filters (not the slower Cafec light roast filters) and without being super careful to avoid agitation or the need for small pulse pours to slow down the flow.

And how does it compare to a well aligned Forte/Vario with steel burrs in terms of flavour. Same taste profile or different?

Thanks.

dale_cooper

#699: Post by dale_cooper » replying to bas »

Agree, what's the TLDR after 70 pages?

I LOVE fellow's products. I haven't bought a coffee gadget in a while, and would love to add this as my dedicated brew grinder.

Stock form it seems very good?
Add SSP burrs and it rises to superb?

jdrobison

#700: Post by jdrobison »

I suppose it depends on your brew method and what you're looking to upgrade. For me, where my brew methods are primarily Kalita 185 and Espro Bloom, my Vario is a considerably better grinder. While I'd love to replace it with the Ode for its form factor, speed, and auto-shutoff, I can't because the grind quality isn't as good. For others who might be doing full-immersion (or hybrid) brewing and perhaps coming from maybe a Capresso Infinity or an encore or something, the Ode could be a pretty nice improvement. Having said that, we've also heard from a number of people who brew with V60 using Hoffmann's or Rao's techniques and are getting great results. Perhaps the salient point is this: Make sure you can return it.