Fellow Ode brew grinder review - Page 46

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Jackiedaytona

#451: Post by Jackiedaytona »

Hi all. How does the Ode perform at coarser settings like for French press? I'm looking to upgrade my Virtuoso because on higher settings the grind size is inconsistent, sometimes leading to sour brews. I am looking at both the Ode and the Vario with steel burrs, but as discussed in this thread there's the difference in price to consider.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#452: Post by JohnB. »

Jackiedaytona wrote:Hi all. How does the Ode perform at coarser settings like for French press?
Quite well according to my daughter.She only makes press pot brews & has been very happy with the Ode I gave her.
LMWDP 267

iBrew

#453: Post by iBrew »

I just bought an Ode and I find it to be VERY similar to the OE Apex... from what I can recall. I agree with earlier comments saying this burr set acts more like a ghost burr than your typical flat burrs. I am on setting 2.1 with a light roast coffee and used 360ml of water to 23 grams of water my brew time was 2:50. Going to trying setting 2 next time. This seems to deliver the same flavour profile of ghost burrs, rounder coffee with good sweetness and very clean. The same coffee brewed with the Encore with upgrade burrs seems to pull out more fruit flavours but also noticeable more bitterness, due to the amount of fines the Encore/Virtuoso have.

I disagree with a lot of the negative comments I've read on here, I don't have any issues with the top lid or the catcher cup, although I wish it didn't have the fins. The grinder is amazing to use and the speed of it is shocking. It definitely seems quieter than the Encore and probably 3-4 times faster at grinding. The grinder seems very well built and it's all metal construction makes the Baratza seem cheap. Seeing how I'm already on setting 2.1 for a V60 pour over, I can understand some of the concerns of it not going fine enough.

cibby

#454: Post by cibby »

Hey all! New Ode owner and found you all after experiencing what many here seem to have... I really like so many things about the grinder but wish there was a way to go finer for my daily v60. I've got a Stagg dripper on order to try which I think is more medium grind so that might be a better fit for the Ode as it currently works.

I'm not a kickstarter backer (would have been if I'd seen it) and heard on Hoffmann's review that Fellow is planning to offer discounted upgraded burrs for backers. I'm not sure though where that would leave me. My guess is paying normal price? I haven't seen their direct communications on any of this. If someone can share the link that would be amazing.

Do you think they will have an updated Ode down the road w new burrs and I should just hold off for that, or will the new ones always be a la carte post purchase? I got mine at Nordstrom and they'll take it back, so kinda curious what others are doing.

Thx!

jdrobison

#455: Post by jdrobison »

roxtc wrote:I think you got a bad unit but I think you're taking it way too personal. It's like if you met the first (insert ethnicity) guy and he turned out to be a jerk, you now think all people of that ethnicity are scum of the earth. Do you know how many Baratza's break? They literally have a steady stream of refurbs to sell, that's how many. There's no need to justify your decision, it's yours and yours alone to make. Saying YOUR Encore is better than YOUR Ode may be true but saying all Encores are better than all Odes is just unfounded and illogical and you'll be hard pressed to find many who share it. Go get a Vario it's a good grinder, with its own little issues and maybe your Encore will be better than that one too. I'll see you over in those threads.

As for my new discoveries, I got a set of SSP burrs to fit in mine as well as my buddy's (he ran over here to check as soon as he heard I got mine). If you order directly from SSP you'll get them within a week. I ordered on a Friday and got them the next Friday. I have the Silver Knight coating as well so they're not uncoated and they not only fit, there's a bit of play too so it's not even like it's the most exact fit in the world. Both our burr carriers seem to be the same, cast and then machined in areas. a 63mm SSP burr may be too loose for some. After I make a review video and comparison with the Vario, the Vario is probably going into storage or being lent to a good friend.

Initial impressions, I first thought (as did my buddy) that the Ode is louder with SSP burrs. Using the same phone and sound meter app as I did in my initial review video, it turns out they're the same decibels but the SSP burrs produce a higher frequency. I'm not sure why, as this is the case even without grinding. My guess is that the geometry of the burrs is moving the air differently therefore producing a different frequency, kind of like a whistle. I'm no physicist though so I could be way off.

The grind quality definitely seems to have improved but I don't think it will be night and day. Rather a good marginal improvement with the ability to grind much finer. I have run 3kg of seasoning beans provided by a roaster so far. The cup seems to be more complex with better mouthfeel. The original Ode burrs had a lot of clarity, like coffee with fines sifted, but felt a bit hollow at times.
I doubt that he received a bad unit, given the number of complaints on Kickstarter right out of the gate. It was apparent almost immediately that most people weren't able to achieve full extractions from pour overs due to incredibly quick rate of flow. For us Kickstarter backers, I'm ok with that - we know (at least we *should* know) that funding a project like that has its risks. However, if you're buying a grinder from retail and it's said to be a great brew grinder, you should expect it to be without having to spend another $200 on burrs to make it so.

And, again, I don't think the issue is with how fine it can grind. My data showed that there were plenty of fines and the issue was in the number of larger particles. I shared that info with them and I'm hoping they focus on that while designing a new set of burrs.

iBrew

#456: Post by iBrew »

I'm really liking this grinder and I find it to be a big step up from the Encore/Virtuoso and exactly what I'm looking for. Setting 1.2 with a light roast coffee was amazing! Fellow really knocked this one out of the ball park and it's a steal for the price. My only concern is, I'm getting close to the finest setting and will be trying 1.1 next :oops:

ira
Supporter ♡

#457: Post by ira »

I keep reading the widely differing opinions on the grinder and have to wonder whether it's differing expectations or possibly different burrs. Conceptually the burrs should all be the same, but what if there were 2 lots in one shipment or the production line has 2 different paths for the same burrs?

I just wonder what's really going on. Are my standards that much lower? Should we have everyone with a Kruve and a Ode grind a specific quantity of beans and use a specified screen choice and post our results? I have both and I'm game.

Ira

roxtc

#458: Post by roxtc »

I don't have a sift or I'd participate. It's apparent that the Fellow Ode is a well designed machine but the tolerances aren't really there where it counts. I'll give you an example. I was talking to a friend and he told me he went ahead and shimmed his auger with some razer thin copper tape because it was so loose that it made a "rattling" noise when grinding. Mine is so tight it doesn't actually spring out. That's a relatively wide spread of tolerances. I suspect mine grinds better other than the annoyance of having to pry out the auger, but for his to be so loose that he needs to shim it, that will definitely affect the grind quality.

I'm not sure why but Fellow's quality doesn't seem totally there for their big ticket items like the Stagg EKG kettle and the Ode. Some of their accessories are actually so well built. For example the interior of the Atmos is much nicer than the interior of the catch cup for the Ode. This bothers me because if the catch cup was better quality it wouldn't have so many fines stick to it. My Carter mug feels like it could stop a bullet.

iBrew

#459: Post by iBrew »

ira wrote:I keep reading the widely differing opinions on the grinder and have to wonder whether it's differing expectations or possibly different burrs. Conceptually the burrs should all be the same, but what if there were 2 lots in one shipment or the production line has 2 different paths for the same burrs?

I just wonder what's really going on. Are my standards that much lower? Should we have everyone with a Kruve and a Ode grind a specific quantity of beans and use a specified screen choice and post our results? I have both and I'm game.

Ira
It could be some aren't grinding fine enough? When I first used the grinder I used setting 3 and it was a bit weak, at 2 it was really good, 1.2 was pretty prefect, next up is 1.1. But I find the Ode has a taste profile closer to ghost burrs and maybe some don't like that clean taste?

iBrew

#460: Post by iBrew »

I made a cup at the 1.1 setting and the finer I grind the better the cup. At 1.2 I can taste the brown sugar and a slight orange taste, at setting 1.1 as the cup cools down it taste like I have an orange in my mouth, it's wet and juicy. Wow! I'm so impressed with this grinder, I haven't been able to pull off that type of flavour clarity and juiciness that it tastes like I'm eating the fruit outside of using an EK43 or an Apex. I don't know if I just got a unicorn Ode or what but I'm really impressed, this is a game changer grinder.

For reference I'm using 360ml of water, 23 grams of coffee, 204 temperature, V60 with the faster flow filters and I follow James Hoffmann V60 method.